cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

VPN

AliMT
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Installed VPN and a message flashed up saying my router password is insecure. Cannot now get onto the webchat. Have tried to change the router password but is telling me username and password on the router are not recognised.

TT will not exchange the router, or send me a deadlock letter.

Have had problems for 2 months now since open reach changed my line to fibre.

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

The router username and password are on the label stuck to the back of the router underneath the pull out tab that has the wifi username and password

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

Bit difficult when admin username, which should be admin, and router password do not match

Have tried combination of admin, password and the word password, even my name, nope, zilch nada.

A

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 27

As you wish. Changing the router password is easy, I can talk you through that if you want.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Hi

Not managed to change any router passwords on any of the 3 routers. New ethernet cable makes no difference. Router admin and banking site insecure, so haven't used it,. I am not happy about doing anymore too technical. Son in law works in IT. He will look at xmas.

AliMT

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 27

dlinkap is the default network name of the TalkTalk WiFi extender, if you have one. You did right to disable UPnP, but it only affects connections coming from the internet to your devices, not the other way around. Hence it made no difference.

Exactly which site is now reporting as insecure, did you manage to set a stronger router password?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

Hi Chris

I have tried on my mobile. Comes up with site not secure, connection not encrypted. I have changed router details before, but was unsure about changing anything else. I saw ?dlinkap 192.168.116, which means nothing to me. Then found upnp 1Gd is on. Looked that up and it said to turn it off, so I did. Still got site not secure. Always have to turn on vpn before I get to connect to browser. Edge has created Edge1 and 2 ?????

AliMT

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27

OK thanks. So you connect to your VPN and then when you try to connect to the router's UI you get the unsecure message?

Have you tried accessing the router UI on any other device, and if you have do you get the same error?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

VPN is on laptop only. Have to connect vpn before any sites will open.

20231201_041147.jpg

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

Hi AliMT,

Do you just get the insecure notice on one device? Can you post a screen shot of the error message

Chris

0 Likes

AliMT
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 27

Will live with the problems. Hub number 3 came today and does not fix any problems. Just inconvenient knowing my Internet cannot be secure.

AliMT

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Hi Karl

Just received the third hub 2. Will try that first. 

Ali MT

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27

Hi

What happens if you start the laptop in safe mode with networking ? 

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows - Microsoft Support

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

My laptop works fine at my daughters, who is also with TT. Went into admin to change password on my mobile. Have same says this site is not secure ,connection is not encrypted ( red circle with ! in it) .

AliMT

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

Hi

Do you have access to another device to test, to rule out any issue with the adapter in the laptop.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Hi Karl.

I did a network, connections check on my laptop after I changed the ethernet cable. It said disconnected before, after changing it says unplugged. I doubt yet another router is going to solve the problems. I also tried plugging the ethernet direct from ONT to my device, Guess I will just have to live with it.

Thanks AliMT

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Hi

replacing the equipment will fully prove that no equipment is impacting the issue in any way, although we here do not believe it is.

If you can keep all your replied in the original thread here , This will help keep track of the conversation and issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

AliMT
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 27

Hi Chris

TT are now sending me another new router and extenders. They will not send an open reach engineer to check the system inside my house. They sent an ethernet cable, which doesn't seem to fit right into the ONT box. I looked at network and connections, a few weeks ago, on my laptop and it said the ethernet cable was disconnected. I checked Sunday, now says it is unplugged, yet I am getting signal. What can I do now?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Hi AliMT,

So you can't access the router settings on the new router either?

Chris

0 Likes

AliMT
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 27

Got the replacement router last week. I still have all the problems. Now cannot access the chat online agent. Been promised call backs which never happen. What to do next. This has been going on for 2 months. Am getting nowhere. Have requested an open reach engineer, to check internal wiring, they won't send one.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

I've ordered a replacement router to test with. It should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes