cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

eero 6 router or modem

spaarks
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I have an FTTC connection with TalkTalk, and plan to go full fibre (FTTP).

TalkTalk have offered a plan using an eero 6 unit. From what I raed this is a type of range extender.

I have read the eero 6 setup guide but it leaves me with questions.

My house has an Openreach Termination box outside my door.

I understand Openreach will connect an ONT and connect the ONT to a router using an Ethernet cable.

1. TalkTalk setup guide mentions a TalkTalk Modem. Is this the ONT, and why is the Openreach ONT not used? And how is it different from the Openreach ONT.

2. What make and model of router will TalkTalk supply, or will I use my existing Home Hub.

3. My existing Home Hub has no DTMF phone connection, so how will my existing DTMF phone be connected? Note that Vodaphone full fibre use a router with two DTMF Phone sockets, and has VoIP conversion built in.

4. I presently use two D-Link powerline extenders. Will these still be used?

Thanks.

Denis

spaarks
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

For a single storey home a single eero 6 could be all that's needed.  I'd recommend an eero per floor for multi-storey homes.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

I've taken out a contract for FF 150 with the eero6. The salesman said I definitely won't need the PLAs. We shall see in a couple of weeks!

Denis

spaarks
0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

spaarks wrote: ...The eero6 is just a router with limited facilities!

To clarify, the eero 6 has a physically small profile and takes up a third of the space of a Wi-Fi Hub. There's no space for a row of Ethernet sockets but other than that easily sorted limitation you'll find that the technical facilities are excellent. 

Message 4 of 8

Thanks Gondola, all very clear now.

The eero6 is just a router with limited facilities!

My existing Home Hub has poor wifi coverage, and the PLA and Access Point (an old router) are used as wifi range extenders. I will do what you suggest and buy a gigabyte switch and plug them and the VoIP adaptor. into it. I live in hope!

Thanks for your help.

spaarks

Message 5 of 8

Hi Denis

The guide that refers to a Gfast modem is for standard Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) broadband. Fibre 150 or Fibre 250 products that do require a Gfast modem. TalkTalk do now supply and fit Gfast modems via their own authorised engineers although that task was previously carried out by Openreach.  So, you're therefore referring to the wrong guide if you want information on FTTP.

As you're taking about getting Full Fibre (FTTP) and an eero 6 package that is installed by Openreach as either a two part or one part installation. But in both cases the fibre optic line ends up at an external Customer Splice Point / Customer Service Point grey box on an outside wall and an ONT on an internal wall. All installed by Openreach. Openreach do not set up the eero 6 for you. You have the exciting task of setting up the eero 6.

The eero 6 is connected to the ONT via a supplied Cat5e Ethernet cable. You simply download and set up the eero app on a compatible mobile 'phone to complete the set up of the eero 6. This is a user setup made very simply by following the on screen instructions backed up by a TalkTalk guide.  I'll provide the guide below.

If you don't wish to use a multi-port Gigabit Network Switch to expand the eero 6 wired connectivity options be aware that the Digital Voice service from TalkTalk via a Grandstream Digital Voice Adapter (DVA) then plugs into the only spare Ethernet port on the eero 6. The other eero 6 port is connected to the ONT. Your DTMF 'phone is connected to the 'phone port of the DVA. You can buy a 'phone splitter device to be able to connect both DTMF 'phones in parallel to the DVA 'phone port just like any conventional extension phone system is wired. I'm assuming that each 'phone has a specified REN of no more than 1 making a total REN of 2. The Grandstream adapter will offer a 'phone extension capability of 3 REN but may struggle with any more. 

No Gigabit network switch also means you would need to consider how best to provide yourself with extended Wi-Fi coverage. Further eero's would certainly be an option to consider and would utilise the mesh networking capability that the eero 6 is designed to provide. At the point of ordering, from TalkTalk Sales, the FTTP Full Fibre 150 service with Digital Voice you can opt for additional eeros at a discounted price. Or if you wish to rent more additional eeros designed as a guaranteed Whole Home Wi-Fi product then that is on offer at £6 per month just to give you a heads up on the choices you have available.

Having assessed what you have described then if you wish to keep your Wi-Fi extender setup as is I would opt for a 5-port Gigabit network switch at under £10 from Amazon or similar online source. Then you have spare Ethernet ports for the Grandstream DVA and your existing Wi-Fi extender setup plus two spare ports for other wired devices.  But at least I've described the eero mesh network options so you do have that choice to upgrade at a discount if you wish.

Hoping that has covered all the relevant points for you.

The eero Support Hub is your go-to resource for information, guides and Community support

Select here:
eero Support Hub

eero 6 and eero Pro 6 Help

eero - Setting up your eero

eero app

Managing eero profiles and devices

eero - Setting up the Digital Voice Adapter

eero - Add or remove an eero from your network

eero - Total Home Wi-Fi

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Thank you for the very clear explanation, but it raises additional questions!

TalkTalk imply that their own technician will do the installation. Can you confirm that it will be Openreach who will install the ONT and set up the eero6 system?  TalkTalk refer to a gfast modem, is this in fact the Openreach ONT?

I think the deal includes only one eero6 unit, so will I have to buy additional eeros to replace my PLA and a wi-fi range extender? The latter is an old router confirgured as an extender and connected to my Home Hub by Ethernet.  Can I just plug the Ethernet cable to the spare port of an eero6, rather than buying a gigabit switch?

I have two phones -so I would have to have two VoIP adaptors? If so then I would need two eeros?  Does the adaptor accommodate a DTMF line-powered (50Volts) phone.

The Vodaphone deal has the edge here, as it has two built-in DTMF phone adaptors.

Sorry if I sound difficult but I am sure these are common issues and they are not addressed in the TalkTalk litrature.

Denis

spaarks

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi Denis

Openreach Full Fibre is connected to your home using an outdoor Fibre Splice Point / Customer Service Point in a grey box on an outside wall. The fibre optic cable will pass through a hole in the wall and connect to the Openreach ONT mounted on an internal wall.

If you are provided with the eero 6 package then the eero 6 is the gateway router connected to the ONT via a Cat5e Ethernet cable supplied with the ONT.  The eero 6 is designed as a mesh networking system so you can use one or more additional eero devices to extend wi-fi coverage if needed.

You do not need the existing TalkTalk supplied Hub.

If you are provided with the eero 6 package and Digital Voice (VOIP) from TalkTalk then you will receive a Digital Voice Adapter (DVA) to connect an existing DTMF phone to Digital Voice (VOIP). The DVA does the VOIP conversion.  Digital Voice is not offered as standard so you will need to confirm with TalkTalk Sales that you do wish to have the eero 6 package with Digital Voice.

If you can connect all your devices via Wi-Fi then you'll not need PLA's. So it does depend on what you're using the PLA's for. For example, if you're connecting a YouView TV Box then as that doesn't have, as standard, a Wi-Fi connection then you'll still need the PLA's.  In addition a Gigabit Network switch (under £10 from the likes of Amazon) to connect to the eero 6 gateway router to provide additional Ethernet connectivity.

Have I answered all your questions / concerns?

0 Likes