cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Loss of Landline Phone Service

asdfg11
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 44

The landline service to my property has been unavailable for two days and I need an appointment making for a visit from an Openreach engineer. There are a number of things for Openreach to consider before they despatch an engineer:

There has been no loss of, fibre provided, internet and television services.

The fault is most probably within the overhead copper wire that runs from a telegraph pole at the back of the property into a loft extension within the roof.

A similar problem experienced in July & August 2023 took one month to resolve. It would be helpful to the process this time if it were possible for the property owner to be provided with a contact number in order that they might speak directly with Openreach if for no other reason than to understand the likely date and time of any engineer’s visit and so ensure access to the property. It was only by chance that I was at the property on each occasion that Openreach visited in July/August ’23.

A key lesson from my previous experience was that any engineer visiting the property should be equipped and trained to deal with copper wire connections, for example they will need ladders capable of reaching the cable.  

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 1 of 44

Hi asdfg11

Sounds like one offer is fixed price plus and the other isn't 

Best option would be to call the loyalty team on 03451720088 The will be able to see what options are available

Regards.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 44

Hi,

Yes, but what puzzles me is that they're both 2 year deals. It seems strange that talktalk are offering two identical packages the first of which will become more expensive than the second in just a few weeks time. Why would anyone sign up for the first option? Am I missing something?    

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Message 3 of 44

@asdfg11, longer contracts are usually cheaper per month because Talktalk are sure of your commitment for longer.

That's usually all there is to it, but remember to check all details when ordering in person. 

Don't just click on My Account offers and upgrades.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 44

Hi Chris,

As mentioned in a (much earlier) post I was away from home between the 11th and 16th of this month and so unable to pursue the matter any further. But also as mentioned previously (9th Feb) I have decided that the easiest way to resolve the issue is to abandon the landline service altogether. With that in mind you may be able to help with some advice regarding a broadband upgrade. In 'My Account' under the 'offers' tab, I can see two 'Full Fibre 150 Data Only' packages. One costs £39.95 but extends only until April 2024 after which it will be subject to increases, the other costs £35.00 but is for two years (presumably from the sign up date). Other than that they seem identical. What is the difference between the two?    

Regards

0 Likes

Message 5 of 44

Hi asdfg11,

Thanks for the update. If you do need any further assistance from the Community Team please let us know.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 44

Hi Debbie,

An Openreach engineer arrived, yet again without any prior notification, at 12.05pm today. By good fortune I had arrived back home just 10 minutes earlier.

The work necessary to replace the line is substantial so, given the problems we have experienced with an overhead line as well as his advice that physical lines of this nature are likely to be phased out over the next few years I think the best option to resolve the issue is to review my existing package with talktalk. 

Thanks to the community team for their coordination efforts. If only Openreach were as easy to communicate with!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 44

Hi asdfg11

Can I just check, have Openreach contacted you today in regards to this fault?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 44

Thanks Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 44

Morning,

We've just re-checked now and it's still with the engineer. We'll re-check this again this afternoon.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 10 of 44

Many thanks Chris, it will be interesting to find out why Openreach now feel they won't need to attend my property and, if this is the case, why they couldn't have alerted me before I wasted half a day waiting for an engineer called Mark who was supposed to be on his way to see me at 8.13am. 

Regarding Openreach's damage report system. This, like so many of these automated services, tries to shoehorn a specific enquiry into particular categories, none of which are entirely appropriate. I'll have to find an alternative way of speaking to someone. I'm thinking of sending a handwritten letter to their CEO asking why a company dedicated to improving communications is so difficult to communicate with?     

0 Likes

Message 11 of 44

Hi asdfg11,

I've checked the engineer notes and it appears that this is still in hand with Openreach, we'll check again tomorrow for further updates

Regarding the torch you could try contacting Openreach directly. There's contact information here - Report damage, vandalism or a health & safety issue | Openreach

Chris

Message 12 of 44

Hi Michelle,

I received a text from Openreach at 08.13 am telling me that an engineer called Mark was on his way to my property. At 13.02 I replied to the text to ask where he was travelling from, as nobody had arrived within their specified time frame. I received an immediate response text telling me that Openreach's engineer would not need to attend my property at all, and to contact talktalk if I had any further queries. 

My further queries are as follows:

1) What is Openreach's explanation for not attending? 

2) What is happening with the job?

3) Will Openreach offer me financial compensation for my wasted time equivalent to the charge that I could have expected to have received from them had I not been at my property to meet their engineer?

4) How do I get my torch back from them now?    

Things would be so much simpler if it were possible to speak with Openreach directly. As ever, thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 44

Afternoon,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 44
0 Likes

Message 15 of 44

Hi Michelle

No problem. I'll mention it when the engineer comes tomorrow.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 44

Morning,

My apologies, I completely misread your post, I thought the engineer left there own torch behind not taken yours. When the appointed engineer arrives then mention the torch to this engineer and they should be able to pass a message on to there control team to try and find your torch for you.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 44

I've booked the appointment for - February 08 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 44

Thanks.

As I have mentioned previously I am happy to accept potential charges providing Openreach communicate with me before hand and tell me at least on which day they are going to arrive. I was kept fully informed about their visit of yesterday, but the sub-contractor who came in the previous week turned up without any prior warning.   

Regards

0 Likes

Message 19 of 44

The 'why have I been charged section' explains the condition when you might be charged. We just have to confirm that you accept potential charges even though it might be unlikely that you will.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 44

Hi Chris,

But which charges might apply in my case?

0 Likes