Online security

Get answers and information about our security products.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I control and restrict device access (smart TVs, games console) and why can't I get in touch

cw7694
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hi

So, I have a disabled child and it has become apparent that I need to set time limits through my ISP for wifi usage to keep him safe and healthy. I need to only allow certain devices for a certain time e.g. smart TV only allowed 6am-8am, games consoles 3.30 -5.30pm. Whilst still allowing my own phone and work laptop to stay connected in these times. I have tried using homework time, which doesn't work as it still allows the games consoles etc. to work. And blocking certain websites/servers through kidssafe e.g. YouTube and epic games servers, but this is no good either as there is no time limit/routine and has to be turned on and off manually, and if they are already connected it allows them to stay connected. My son is autistic so exact timing/routine/predictability is crucial and he cannot self regulate his time. I have a few friends who have BT broadband and they are able to put time limits on all devices even Echo Dot etc. connected to the router separately (without having to do anything on the device) and much more extensive controls. I have signed up for supersafe but it doesn't seem to offer anything I need as it cant be used for smart TVs or games consoles, can anyone tell me if there is another product I can get from TalkTalk?

And also, I've been through the TalkTalk website and there seems to be no way to contact them listed, is there not a live chat/email or phone service?  Thanks 😊

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 5

Hi cw7694, your fellow community members have advised you correctly. We don't currently have the controls you are looking for. You'd need an alternate router or software.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 2 of 5

Unfortunately TalkTalk's controls are server based and apply equally to all devices on your network.  To exert the level of control you describe, IE timed access for specific devices, you really need to implement the controls within your router.  There are a number of routers which offer such capabilities though unfortunately none of them are available from TalkTalk.  Thus if you wish to remain with TalkTalk and implement the controls you describe you will need to buy a 3rd party router to use in place of the one supplied by TalkTalk.  If you are considering changing ISPs then you should make sure the router supplied does what you require before you move.

As I said there are a number of routers from various manufacturers that would enable you to do what you require.  I would strongly advise you check the specs/documentation of a few to determine which best suits your needs and is easiest to configure in the way you require.   Personally I use a Draytek Vigor 2762, now superceded by the 2765 series, which has  very comprehensive controls but due to the flexibility offered may not be the quickest and easiest to set up.

Message 3 of 5

To put it simply, TT do not provide the tools you need at this time.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Strangely, @cw7694, Talktalk has put the Chat link and opening hours details on their Update on Covid-19 page here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

It shows a blue background banner when available. 

You can reach them by phone on 03451720046 Monday to Saturday, after 9am.

Use the forum search engine for information about exactly what Homesafe and Supersafe do. They are separate products with different purposes. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.