I'm having the same problem as a few other people, i've tried turning Kidsafe on then off again and that has not helped. i haven't turned my router off and off again yet as i'm only 2 days into the 14 day router optimisation.
hope someone can have a look at the system from their end.
Hi Geomation, please reboot your router and retest and let us know if you've still got the same problem.
I turned it off for over 30mins and then re-booted it. that seems to have solved the issue.
Thank you for the help, hope it hasn't interfered with the 14 day optimisation thing.
That's great thanks for posting back to let us know. It won't cause you problems with optimisation.