cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Connection between tv box and router

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 19

I've been having issues over the last few months where the connection between my tv box and the router crashes. It used to happen maybe once a week but is now happening several times a day. It usually resets itself within a minute or two but occasionally I have to manually reconnect the box.

TV Box is the 4K box, square with rounded corners.

There's no loss of connection between the router and other devices when this happens so I assume it's the TV box playing up.

Any advice on what I need to do?

Thanks

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 19

I'll take your word for it, as I have no idea which of those devices is your TV. You can customise their names to make them more user-friendly if you wish.

Wi-Fi interference is very changeable, by the minute or even second. You would need to set the adapter to at least prefer the 5G band, but I bet the TV does not have that option.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

Seems it is compatible and connected via 5GHz.

connectionsconnections

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 19

First off, is it even 5GHz compatible?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 19

Hi Keith, thank you for looking into this!

If it is interference/congestion that is causing me problems and the 5GHz band is 'less congested' then does my 4K box have the capability to connect to the route via the 5GHz band? If so how would I do that?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 19

Hi @chrishall57 

If your TV connects to the 5GHz band, there should be no particular problems (assuming these screenshots were taken near the TV). However, if it only connects on the 2.4GHz band, that is a different matter. Your 2.4GHz band is totally congested and there is nothing you can do about it, other than considering a wired (Ethernet) connection. This could be achieved with a pair of Ethernet power line extenders if the router & TV are on the same electrical ring circuit.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 19

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk 

Hi @chrishall57 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith

0 Likes

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 19

Thanks Keith, anything I need to do now?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi

I've turned optimisation off for this router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 19

Then please request that TalkTalk disable it for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Thanks Keith, 

I have not had any optimisation disabled on the router. I have used it as it came out of the box.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 19

Hi @chrishall57 

Before doing anything I need to know if you have requested WiFi Optimisation be disabled on your router, as per my last post? If not, just reply requesting it to be disabled & when TalkTalk have done this for you, I will send you my guide.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi Keith, 

Just to sum up the issue:

I might lose connection between the router and devices like phones, tablets maybe once or twice a month. Usually reconnects itself after a few minutes.

There is a disconnection between the TV Box and the router which started off infrequently but is now happening several times a day. I get the Disconnected bar coming up on the tv screen and usually it reconnects after a minute. Sometimes it doesn't reconnect and I have to go into the TV Box settings and manually reconnect. I would point out that the WiFi network and password in this case is still visible in the TV Box settings, it just doesn't reconnect on its own.

If you can send me the guide that would be great.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi Chrishall57

Work with Keith and he can help troubleshoot your wifi connection.  If Keith identifies a possible faulty router, he can ask us to send one to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 19

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 19

Good point!

WiFi between the router and the TV box.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 19

You still have not answered my other question, namely:-

How is it connecting to the router, via Ethernet, Powerline adapters or WiFi?

Keith

0 Likes

chrishall57
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 19

The TV Box iz the Netgem N7950-T2C-8-AB2

The router is Sagencom Talk Talk Wi-Fi Hub

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

What make/model of TV box are you referring to? Which make/model of router do you have? How is it connecting to the router, via Ethernet, Powerline adapters or WiFi?

Keith

0 Likes