cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Huawei Talk Talk Box DN372T Suddenly Not Working - Stuck Waking Up

Foxy123
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Suddenly the Talk Talk box seems to have stopped working. I have tried everything, factory reset, maintenance modes etc. etc. and it just keeps getting stuck at Waking Up stage.  Then eventually goes to maintenance mode saying the box failed to start properly.  I go into maintenance mode which says I can select a recovery operation.  I press ok.  I have tried software reset, factory reset etc etc. but nothing is working, all fails. I have been repeating these processes for the last few hours.  It has been working fine. Nothing has changed here. Can you send me a replacement box as soon as possible please? 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 11

The original TV charge, if paid, would have entitled you to a new box, while they were available.

Having removed this charge, you would have had to recontract to receive a replacement box.

If I'm reading this correctly, you are not paying any TV charge, and your box has failed. If so i wouldn't rock the boat and phone for a box, unless you need one.

Another alternative to a box is something like an Amazon Firestick that will give you all the current catchup apps and you can use your TV for Freeview. That is unless you need to record when the boxes I mentioned would be worth exploring.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Thank you Karl for your reply. Much appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Many thanks for your helpful information.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Many thanks for taking your time to reply.

We didn’t used to have the TV box.  We just had broadband.  Then when I renewed the contract, the package had changed and was only available as Broadband and TV.  I told Talk Talk we didn’t need the TV service but they said we had to have it. So reluctantly I agreed.  The only thing we have done is watched the normal Freeview channels, used ITV player and Iplayer. We also used the pause, rewind and fast forward facility.  

When they then introduced the charge for the TV which I believe was £4 a month initially, I remember there being a bit of an uproar from customers and as you say, you could opt out of the TV service.  However you could still use the box to watch TV, pause, rewind etc.   I will copy and paste below the conversation that took place in 2019 between me and Talk Talk on live chat.

That is the reason why we haven’t paid for the TV services as we had never used them. 

My problem all stemmed from the fact that I am still in contract and the TV box we had as part of the contract, failed and a new one could not be supplied as they are discontinued.  I assumed I would be sent a different box but didn’t realise I would be charged for it. 

Here is the conversation I had with them in 2019 in case you are interested.  Many thanks for your response.

T: I have already read all of that. But I don't think we need to pay this extra £4
T: As we only watch Freeview channels, pause and rewind and use the players
T: And I have been reading about other customers who have been told the following
T: "To set your expectations, you will lose access to any TV boosts and won’t receive the new benefits of TalkTalk TV. You will still will continue to be able to use the TV box like pause, rewind, catch up, OnDemand program and watch freeview television."
Eva: I understand, you may wish to try this so you can get the free film voucher. We offer this free on the first month.
TalkTalk: A copy of this conversation will be sent to XXXXXXXX
T: I don't watch any films
T: And am not interested in a free film voucher
T: Thank you
Eva:

No worries, I can remove the £4 for TV. Nonetheless, you can continue to use the TalkTalk TV service for Freeview, catch up and rent or own content.
However, you will not have access to £5 voucher or multi-room.  Are you happy to proceed?

T: You will still continue to be able to use the TV box like pause, rewind, catch up, OnDemand program and watch freeview television.

T: Can you please confirm this sentence is true thank you

Eva:

Yes, those features will still work.

T: That is great, thank you. Please can you remove the £4 charge from my account so that I don't get charged at all next month
Eva:

As you requested, I have already processed removing the TV fee on your account. Rest assured that this will not be added on your bill moving forward.

Message 5 of 11

@Foxy123, the TV charge was introduced c 5 years ago (...

or thereabouts. Lost in the mists of time).

It caused much consternation, as even if we didn't use Talktalk TV services at all, we had to actively opt out or pay up. 

Whenever people renew online, it is automatically included, so that's why we recommend phoning or using Chat at renewal time, to avoid this being applied if we don't use the service. 

Sometimes it is discounted.

You've done amazingly well to have avoided a charge all this time!

With the latest boxes, they now call this a rental charge, and, again, it can be discounted. 

Unlike boosts, it is treated as part of the contract, which is why you always need to get in touch, rather than use My Account, if you wish to cancel it and return the box.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 11

If you wish to source your own recordable box then you can try a BT (EE) pro box which is a YouView one. They don't sell these to the public but many BT customers sell theirs on new to places like eBay or CeX ( who offer a guarantee too) or Manhatten have just released a new Freeview Play box based one that is on general sale.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi Foxy,

The older TalkTalk TV Boxes were launched in 2012, and are now obsolete.  It has been three and a half years since TalkTalk stopped providing these boxes.

As you are in contract, no contractual changes will be made however for the new TV Hub, there is a rental charge of £5 per month.  This applies to all customers now and we cannot remove this.  This is a business decision and we must abide by this.

Our customer teams will have certain discounts they can offer when taking the new Android TV Hub, and if they have agreed to apply this for you, then this should show on your next bill.

If the agreed discount does not show, or the delivery charge appears on your online bill, please post in our Billing section and the team can look at that side of things for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Foxy123
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Thank you for your reply.

We have continued to have problems with the box since I put this message on here. 

I got in touch with Live Chat and they said they could not provide a new You View box as they are no longer available.  So then it seems the only option is to have a hub.  They said there would be a charge for TV services of £5 per month but then they said I could have it for £2.50.  I queried this as I haven’t paid a TV subscription before, I have just watched Freeview TV through the box, paused, rewind etc.  There wasn’t a charge for this before? I was able to access the TV channels to pause, rewind, record etc.

I was on to live help again for 2 hours yesterday.  They said a hub would be sent in the post to me and I would receive a confirmation email. 

I then received the confirmation email which didn’t tell me what my new monthly amount will be and also looked to me as though a new contract had started. It reads “A new month contract applies”. It doesn’t mention a discount to £2.50 and suddenly states a delivery charge of £9.95 which I am not happy about as this was not mentioned in the live chat as part of the negotiations.  

I have been on to live chat again this afternoon for another 1.5 hours to ask three questions.  Firstly is my contract still the existing contract expiring next June. Secondly, how much will my monthly payment be going forward. Thirdly, asking them to cancel the delivery charge that was not mentioned to me at all.  They say they are writing notes on the system but I do not trust this will be done.

Basically, this all started because my You View Box DN372T isn’t working anymore. I am still in a contract and just wanted a replacement box which is no longer available.  But now I have to pay a subscription fee which I think is unfair just because this box has stopped working.  I just wanted a free replacement for the equipment provided in my contract. 

Does this all make sense?

Thank you in anticipation of your comments. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi Foxy123

It does sound like the box has reached end of life, and we no longer provide these boxes.

You may be eligible for one of the new Android YouView TV Hubs, give our Teams a call and they can discuss options and offers with you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

These boxes are now longer made and TalkTalk no longer do recordable boxes.

0lease see here for advice which holds true for broken boxes 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/ITVX-and-TalkTalk-YouView-boxes/td-p/3010612

0 Likes