cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

ITV X now unavailable with my TT TV Box

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 39

After months of ITV X working fine through my TalkTalk TV Box, I now keep getting messages saying no internet (I use cat5 cable). Discovered that the internet is OK, but TalkTalk have effectively removed that app from my paid for TT TV Box. They now expect me to pay an extra monthly fee plus delivery charge to get a new Box to replace a  one that was working perfectly until they decided to remove this app in a crude attempt to get more revenue. This is a Talktalk issue - NOT the TV, which runs ITV X fine when connected without the Box, which as far as I am concerned this gives me nothing extra I would want. It seems TT are the Ryanair version of broadband, and the customer service is getting worse rather than better. Is their anyway to avoid this flagrant marketing?

38 REPLIES 38

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 39

@ferguson Yes, thank you. I can, of course, change the TV source and use another controller to the open the ITVX app, but it was convenient to use the set top box to just access it. It’s sad that the only option for anyone wanting a new or replacement set top box from Talktalk will be lumbered with a slow, poorly designed unit with effectively  no useful recording or pause facilities. But a huge boost for those keen on flashy irritating over complex graphics and lots of additional junk channels

Message 22 of 39

@daverioja 

Did you see my earlier post about the "need" for a replacement box? 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 39

@Gliwmaeden2  Think you’ve totally missed the point. My STBox in recent times was NOT incompatible with ITVX, been watching it for many months. I got the box as part of a TT promotion way before ITVX, when it was still ITV Hub so I couldn’t have checked specs for it! Not sure what research I’m supposed to have checked when the spec gets changed during ownership?

ITVX was working, then TT announced that it would stop from Nov 31 ….and it did. The alternative, 4K Box I now have, and IMHO and for my use is a total waste of time - loads more junk channels, loss of pause, loss of recording while watching something else, need for a big USB stick at extra cost and totally inconvenient……

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 39
0 Likes

Message 25 of 39

It's specific to some brands and models, @colin7777.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

colin7777
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 39

cant get itvx on my tv

0 Likes

Message 27 of 39

Fine, but you have known about the issue of ITVX and the incompatibility with the old boxes as something pending over the past year, @daverioja:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/ITV-X-on-TalkTalk-YouView-box/td-p/2937986

If you bought the box, why did you not check the specs first?

The information is available specific to each box that Talktalk has supplied if you care to search.

Customers usually rent the 4K box, paying £5.00 per month instead of the TV charge.

It's up to you to do the research, @daverioja.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 39

I think the misapprehension here may be around "having" to get the 4K box. That would only be the case if you did not otherwise have access to ITVX. As you do seem to have that directly via your smart TV then that need disappears. So by all means arrange for the 4K box to be returned and cancel your TalkTalk TV service.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 39

I hear what you say, but TT supplied my box that worked fine. Then ITVX stopped being available on this box. TT said I had to buy the 4K box if I want ITVX via the box. Then I find, apart from having a rubbish but flashy app, it has severely limited all the recording capabilities I bought the box for. So it’s all down to TT as far as I am concerned. If the box I bought is suddenly not now compatible with ITV X, they should at least offer a similar replacement, not the just a minimal facility box with access to loads more junk channels I don’t want to watch.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 39

These boxes are not unique to Talktalk  - they just happen to be what it supplies to customers at the moment. 

Do a search and you'll find the 4K popping up .... 

Nothing to do with licensing deals with the ISPs.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 39

My question then is this - if it is ITV who is responsible for withdrawing ITV X app from Talktalks TV Plus Box, why does it work on the 4K box, surely the same licensing deal or whatever?

0 Likes

Message 32 of 39

No.

While your TV can receive it, it's ITV's decision to withdraw the app from certain boxes, NOT Talktalk's.

You may not need the Talktalk telly services at all if you can get what you need on the TV anyway, @daverioja

0 Likes

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 39

Karl, not actually true. My Set Top Box could access ITVX with no problem. Now that TT decided to unsupported ITVX on their STB, I have a problem. But if I disconnect the TT box, ITVX works perfectly on my TV. Just TT trying to get extra revenue and move us on to a 4K box that has had poor reviews I'm guessing.

Uunfortunately the new 4k box is a massive retrograde step for many reasons as I have commented elsewhere. As it is not remotely fit for purpose and has all the useful features removed compared to the old one, I will be returning it. I now have to decide whether to keep my existing one and access ITX direct from the TV, buy a new box that actually works like a STBox should, or get a new network supplier, which would be a shame as I have been with TT from the start. Just so disappointed that they make this move and try and gloss over it as a necessary upgrade.

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 39

0 Likes

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 39

0 Likes

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 39

Well, after ages on the phone, reluctantly agreed to "upgrade" to a new 4K box. What a total piece of junk.

The so called “upgrade” means

1. The graphics are an appalling mish mash of confusing over information,  far worse than the simple layout previously.
  2. The interface is slower and far more clunky than before.
  3. Can’t pause and rewind a programme.
  4. I can only record a program I am actually watching, and can’t watch a different programme to the one that is recording.
  5. I have to insert a USB stick to record. Had to go out and buy one big enough for what I would normally have recorded on my old box.
  6. When a USB is installed, it tells me that it is now loading. When I try to record, it tells me to install a USB stick
  7. It keeps telling me my USB does not have enough space. I tried a 16Gb stick and  500 Gb HDD, both virtually empty

I fail to understand how this is an upgrade, it is worse in every single way and was only tried because TT removed the ITV X app.

I guess it’s going back.

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 39

Your box is just a means of delivering apps. Apps are the responsibility of the owners of the App. In this case it's ITV.

Your box would have had the ITV Hub on it not ITVX. The old boxes cannot run ITVX, and if you want the latest box you need to recontract to receive the latest box.

However a smart stick, such as a Roku or Fire Stick, will give you more options and be more up to date. Your box will still work as a recorder or streaming box depending on your model.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 38 of 39

Hi

ITVX is not available on some older legacy devices and smart TV's including the older YouView boxes.

This was a decision by ITV not to develop the app for those devices and is beyond our control.

You may be eligible for the new 4K TV Streaming box. This is fully compatible with the new ITV X app.

If you are interested in taking one of these devices, give our teams a call and they can discuss the options with you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes