cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

ITV X now unavailable with my TT TV Box

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 39

After months of ITV X working fine through my TalkTalk TV Box, I now keep getting messages saying no internet (I use cat5 cable). Discovered that the internet is OK, but TalkTalk have effectively removed that app from my paid for TT TV Box. They now expect me to pay an extra monthly fee plus delivery charge to get a new Box to replace a  one that was working perfectly until they decided to remove this app in a crude attempt to get more revenue. This is a Talktalk issue - NOT the TV, which runs ITV X fine when connected without the Box, which as far as I am concerned this gives me nothing extra I would want. It seems TT are the Ryanair version of broadband, and the customer service is getting worse rather than better. Is their anyway to avoid this flagrant marketing?

38 REPLIES 38

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 39

TBH. I’ve got totally fed up going round in circles arguing with all the TalkTalk fan boys about this. The absolute bottom line is that TT requires existing TV box users to pay an additional fee to replace a box with versatile recording facilities with one that basically has none. I know that ITVX does not now work on my original box, Talktalk told me the exact day it would stop, which signals to me that either TalkTalk chose to disable it, or they had decided to stop supporting it. I would’ve been happy to have paid a small premium to have the box replaced with an updated version, but not but not one with absolute minimum facilities. The whole concept of a set top box was built around recording, so you don’t have to watch to interminable overlong adverts, The Netgem box offers nothing that a modern smart TV doesn’t, Other than access to whole host of additional  low rent channels. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 39

@Roger43 

TalkTalk is responsible for no such thing, although their boxes do in fact carry all Freeview channels. TalkTalk TV is an optional, paid for service. 

Roger43
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 39

Talktalk is responsible for providing, at its basic level, all Freeview stations. That's the contract with them. This is a service. How they get the service to you is their problem not yours. If there is a need to modify whatever vehicle they use to do this, technical or otherwise, then they have to do it free of extra charge. In this instance they have a need to upgrade the set box. They should do this as per above.  I spent 3 hours over two days arguing this, during which they were insisting on charging extra monthly payments as well as paying for the box, it's delivery and installation! I fought and avoided such monthly and one time charges. I now have the upgraded box I am now happy.  (I write this in fear of being monitored by talktalk.......and so wonder what they may do)

0 Likes

Message 4 of 39

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Along with other effectively obsolescent devices.

Me? I miss little about my YouView box, save the ability to pause/rewind live TV on occasion. That was easily remedied by connecting a hard drive directly to my TV via USB which is a feature of most recent TVs these days. Along with smart apps built in. For anything else, I use Roku. So there may not be an alternative that suits you exactly from TalkTalk, but there are many others available. 

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 39

I’m trying not to ‘labour the point’, but equally I’m not like some who takes dubious excuses at face value. Tell me as many times as you like, just because you believe it , others don’t have to if the facts seem to prove otherwise. Did ITV somehow decide they would choose the TT box to take the technology from. Anyway, this is an arguable point I have lost interest in, the decision is made. What the issue is the useless alternative offered by TT

0 Likes

Message 6 of 39

Because, as you have been told countless times, it's not TalkTalk's decision. It's ITV.

If you wish to labour the point, take it up with them

ITVX series were also available on the Hub during the transitional phase. ITV found the ITVX app a step to far for the aging YouView boxes.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 39

NO!!! It worked on my set top box, and I watched several of the latest ITVX special series on it.

The difference between the Hub and ITV X was very noticeable, apart from all the obvious logos, programmes, and a reduction in all the buffering and glitches in my case .

I would just humbly point out I although I would not claim to be an expert, neither am I an old fart, and qualified in electrical and electronic engineering at LUSB and was a designer and elec supervisor on deepwater drillships for with 70+ PCs and servers among much more serious stuff for 30 years.

I keep coming to the same point. If TalkTalk are paying whatever it takes to get my TVX on the 4K box, why couldn't they put it on the plus box? It's all academic, but it's no wonder people are peeved. Nice words do not offer a remotely viable solution TBH.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 39

LOL, I hope nobody ever suggested you were!

0 Likes

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 39

Yes!!! I knew I wasn't the only one!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 39

Hi ferguson, 

not aimed at you, for the OP's who are not accepting that this is an ITV Decision.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 11 of 39

@Karl-TalkTalk 

Thanks, but I trust your reply wasn't actually aimed at me, despite saying so!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 39

@daverioja 

ITVX has never been on the plus box. The confusion may have arisen as the interface on all YouView boxes for the main catch-up apps is the same

ITV updated the logo only on the TalkTalk boxes but it opened the ITV Hub.

Again an ITV decision outside TalkTalk's control.

Also during October there Was a warning of the hub closure. Maybe you didn't use the hub during the notice period.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 13 of 39

Hi

Search Google for : ITV Hub closing and you will see many websites and forums not connected with TalkTalk confirming that ITV hub is closing and some older devices, not just youview devices, will not support the new app.

Taken directly from the help section of the ITV Website : 

At ITV Hub, we’re making some changes to our app. We’re upgrading our technology to offer more content and better picture quality, and improve our overall app experience.

A significant part of this involves updating our content protection to keep all our shows copyright-safe. Unfortunately this technology is not supported by some device models and will no longer be compatible 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 14 of 39

You don't have to be convinced. It's a fact. ITV Hub worked on the old TalkTalk boxes until November last year and then it was discontinued. 

Message 15 of 39

We keep going around this same point., and I am still not convinced.....

The ITVX app was working perfectly well on my TV Plus box.

I didn't hear from ITV that it would stop working on this box on November 2023, I heard from Talktalk, along with a recommendation that I change to the pointless 4K box that provides me with nothing a good smart TV doesn't already have,  additional cost.

I believe that I, and many other long term TT customers, will feel totally cheated, unless a replacement of a similar specification is offered, even if it is a additional cost.

Message 16 of 39

Hi 

ITV made the decision not to bring the new ITV X App to some older devices and Smart TV's, and this also includes the legacy YouView TV Boxes.  This was a decision solely by ITV and outside of our control. 

you can read more at our help article  ITV Hub closure - TalkTalk Help & Support 

Thanks 

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Sunflowerpower
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 39

Exactly the same has happened to me.  Seems the old boxes aren't compatible with the new ITVX.  Customer Services said it was a "senior management business decision" to charge users an extra £2.50 for the privilege of watching ITVX.  It's nothing but a scam tactics  on the part of Talktalk to increase my monthly premium.  They stated my monthly plan is only for broadband and that the TVBox is now viewed as an "add on" so my TVBox Services are not "free".  I managed to get out of the ridiculous "£9.95" delivery fee but I feel forced and rather coerced into paying £2.50 extra a month for the privilege of watching ITVX.  Where will they draw the line .... if other TV channels upgrade are Talktalk going to make us "upgrade" stating the new apps are not compatible with "old" boxes??  I feel something underhanded going on as you say.  Maybe consumer legal advice required.  

0 Likes

Message 18 of 39

@Gliwmaeden2  Well I phoned TT for help about why ITVX was not working any more. I was advised I would now need a new box. In my naïveté I assumed a new box at extra cost would be an improvement over one they had discontinued. Sadly that seems not to be the case with TalkTalk.

I don't spend ages trawling through TV forums TBH, and I am unimpressed with the fact that TT, and any other company, that direct queries to  FAQ or "communities" to try and find decent answers rather than provide them directly. At the time, looking at the TT website, I did not find a lot of information about the 4K box  highlighting that there is no ability to record channels not being watched, etc. , just a lot of blurb about all the new channels and apps etc. Not being able to record a ITV programme not actually being watched so that it can be replayed later and FF>> the adverts is a total deal changer for myself and many others, judging by all the comments. I wish Id checked out Trustpilot for TT and Netgem.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 39

It was the specs of the 4K that I was referring to, @daverioja.

Lots of information pages about it on the forum which is why I was surprised that you'd been surprised by its limitations. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV-Hub/bd-p/TVHubSupport

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

daverioja
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 39

Updated - Just found loads of posts back a year or so complaining about the very poor 4K version of settop box that is the only model TT are offering now ITVX access has been removed from the TV Box Plus. Didn’t realise no proper recording facilities, awful slow interface and need for a big additional cost USB stick,  then you can only record the programme you are watching. Useless for saving ITV programmes so you can wind past the ads! Wish I’d seen these before, but this forum is not particularly user friendly unfortunately!

So it seems TalkTalk aren’t interested in ‘fixing’ things or getting a decent box. Personally, swapping good recording hardware for additional junk channels is not a good deal. 

0 Likes