cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Watching UHD 4K TV and Internet Speeds ; renew contract.

sure2watch
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi

My speed last year was 20mbps until on 22 August Openreach “fixed “the line. It dropped to 16 and I noticed later my minimum guarantee was 15mbps. At Christmas I got an LG OLED 4K TV which has been great for UHD viewing, only occasional drops in picture quality. (Netflix recommended minimum is 15mbps I believe). I renewed contract 2 days ago so still in cooling off period, and see that my minimum speed has dropped to 13.4 mbps. I am on Fibre 35, there is nothing higher available from TT in my location.

I would like to know whether 13.4 mbps is still sufficient to stream UHD TV programmes properly please, and if not, why has my minimum dropped and can it be put back to at least the 15mbps last week!

I have been a TT customer for over 15 years approx., UHD TV has been great so far, I watch it a lot and don’t want to lose it.  

Many thanks for any help.

Clive

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

sure2watch
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 1 of 11

Nope, deep in the New Forest :-).

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Glad you are sorted Clive. Karl is the pro and knows what he is talking about.

Is your village like mine in deepest North Norfolk, in the very last of the last as far as fibre goes?

Divsec

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

sure2watch
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the comments. Router is only 3 months old and always on. Not sure about Netfix mega buffering, but Karl has been helpful and advised that minimum of 13.4 should be sufficient for UHD, so I'm going to stick with the new contract.

Thanks for replying though.

Clive 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Brilliant, thank you Karl.

Looks like TT are stuck with me for another two years then 🙂

Great service thanks, just give them a poke and tell them to get Fibre 65 to us village dwellers asap please haha!

Meantime I'll take your advice.

Thanks again

Clive

Message 6 of 11

Hi

the minimum speed should be sufficient.

Remember, when checking your speeds, always try a couple of different speed testers to get an average as results can vary.

A useful speed test is Sam Knows Speedtest  

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 7 of 11

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and check. My speed test last night was between 12.03 and 16.05 over a period of about half an hour using a common Broadband speed check, so I guess yours is more accurate.

I was a bit worried about UHD and am grateful for your help. 

Could you advise if the minimum guarantee of 13.4 would also be sufficient for streaming UHD content please?

Thanks

Clive

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 11

@sure2watch sorry my slow typing allowed @Karl-TalkTalk to give you an encouraging answer😉🤐

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 11

Hi @sure2watch sorry this is happening, I have the same few options all based on open reach in my village with fibre just an horizon event at the moment. I'm not sure how you can improve it as I would suspect the finite local capacity is being spread over an increasing number of users.

How old is your router, maybe it can be tweaked by the staff here? Also, you do leave it permanently connected. 

On the positive side if the very nice TV is still working great, if not do Netflix allow you to download then view then delete? Sort of mega buffering. 

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi

we are unable to change the estimated speeds for a line as these are advised by Openreach.

I've checked your connection and the router is in sync at 17,2mb

This is sufficient for streaming UHD Content.

Karl

Working From Home Tips