cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

YouView box goes to sleep at night and just dies!

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Every morning just lately, I switch on the TV/YVBox, and the screen just shows the time and 1080p.

pressing the "on" button on the remote again, and the 1080p disappears.

to turn on the box, I have to either press the front button for ten seconds, or cycle the rear button to enter the "Waking up" process.

Is there a solution to this, or is it dying by degrees?😥

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

The lack of ability to transfer recordings is down to copyright protection and is the same on all boxes across the industry, so this is something that will not change in the future.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk shame really since I suspect that the data (recordings) would still be intact despite the disk failure.

I'll have to start watching all the "un-watched stuff I've got stored up before the disk goes mammaries aloft!🙂

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi

It's not possible to repair the disk or transfer the recordings from any of our TV Boxes.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Just an update on my failing box!

I may have been a little impatient with my aged YV Box!

A couple of days ago, it began responding to the remote calling for both TV and YV Box as normal.

A day or so later, it was back to a blank screen after the TV was switched on, just showing the 1080P in the top left of an otherwise black screen.

Since I didn't immediately have time to "re-start" the box, I just left it to its own devices and I was surprised when I came back some 20 minutes later to find all was well and the box was working normally!

Maybe it's a bit like me and takes a while to get started in the morning and I was impatient in immediately going for a re-start!

I do know that the HDD is on its way out as sometimes recordings just freeze for 20/30 seconds before continuing.

Is there any way to do a disk "repair" as you can on a PC in Windows, which doesn't trash the existing data?

Failing that, can the recordings be saved to another drive?

That used to be possible with one recorder I used to have, via a USB connection.    

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

@fr8ys Under Power & Standby it is set:

"Auto Standby" 12 Hrs

Standby Mode "Smart"

Deep Sleep from 3am til 8am.

That's not changed for some time, so I think it is probably beginning to fail.

As you advised, the likely hood is that a "Soft Re-set" will probably clear the problem, and I will try it when I have the time to re-input all my programme detail but I could do without the pain at the moment!

I am reminded of the bad old days of VHS machines where you had to get on the floor and input all your programming requirements using just 8 schedule slots! 🤪😖

Message 6 of 9

@Steamywee probably best if you can live with it.

Just one more thing, what mode is your box in when sleeping? Eco? And have you adjusted the waking hours so it's in standby when you start it up? Maybe it's set to deep sleep and only appears not to be starting up?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Thanks @fr8ys I was hoping that wouldn't be the solution!

It's more pain than I'm currently enduring, so I'll save that for a day when I'm bored with life and need a distraction!🤣

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

It's a symptom of a failing hard drive unfortunately. These boxes are getting old now and hard drives have a finite life.

There are things to try to repair the hard drive and hopefully get the box back to working order for a while.

Try a YouView Maintenance Reset (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-find-maintenance-mode/ta-p/1429347)?

Try the Factory Reset keep recording option.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / Set antenna Out to On in Settings: Picture and Sound / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

If all else fails then try a full factory reset from the settings menu. You will lose your recordings but you may be asked to do this before the support staff look at other alternatives.

Hope it works and let us know how you get on 

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes