cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Cancel my contract?

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hi I'm having a spot of bother cancelling my contract. I tried to do it via live chat, they said they couldn't do it and retentions would need to speak to me first. I don't want to speak to retentions. I'm not staying! I want to cancel both my landline phone (that I haven't used in over a decade anyway) and my broadband. My 5G Unlimited Data SIM (from another provider) is plenty fast enough! I tried calling, but 'no' you're closed!

I feel like I'm being messed around! So as a precaution, I cancelled the direct debit anyway! I'll settle up with you what I owe once someone from there sees fit to do what I've asked. Thanks!

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi jebus1967

The cease is due to complete on the 14th October.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

No it's fine. They said I'll be finished by October 1st.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

But your 30 day notice period and monthly billing cycle won't necessarily be the same. 

If you give notice, say 14th September, but your billing period is to eg 21st, there could be another bill after that, telling you whether you are owed something back.... then, what they call the final bill, for £0.00, could be the one in November, @jebus1967.

It takes a while to shed them completely! 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

Nah. I'm good. Been out of contract for a lot of years. But thanks. 😊

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 13

@jebus1967 

An added thought: depending on your billing cycle, there may be further payments due along the way. Make sure to pay any bills on time, rather than just waiting for that "final" one. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

LOL no worries from me either, I am just another customer trying to help, no vested interest here!

And despite being known as the "retentions" team, well yeah, it's inevitable that they will try to encourage you to stay. But if you make it clear that you are intent on leaving they are the same place you will end up when you select "cancellation" as your reason for calling. 

I hope it goes smoothly, do let us know.

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

OK then, I'll use the card payment option as soon as they issue my final bill. No worries. "So long, and thanks for all the fish!", so to speak ...

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

@jebus1967,

Chat can't fully process cancellations, and you then need to pick up a phone call from Talktalk, so you might as well phone them at a time that suits you.

The department you speak to is called Retentions / Loyalty team  / Better Value team, because they obviously want to hang onto you, but that is the correct department to be calling.

They will be open 9am - 6pm Saturday. Not open Sunday. Open Monday to Friday, 9am - 7pm.

Instructions for cancellation:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Well, they won't stop the service until you have given your 30 days notice of cancellation and until then you will continue to receive it and have to pay for it as usual. You must continue to do so until you get a final bill which will not happen until after your service is terminated.

There are alternative payment methods:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Payment-methods-and-paying-your-bill/ta-p/2204899

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

And how can I speak to them anyway? I tried the online chat and I tried calling. If they aren't available or able to take my call, what more am I supposed to do?

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Why should that be the case? There is no law that says I must pay with direct debit. The minute they cut the line and send me a bill, I'll happily pay!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

You do need to speak to them to cancel as advised, there really is no other way. This is because TalkTalk need to be assured that you are the account holder and not perhaps a malicious actor who has got hold of your account details. Cancelling your Direct Debit is only likely to cause further issues including the possibility of additional charges and a negative impact on your credit record. 

0 Likes