cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Cancellation Nightmare - please advise!

Message 5 of 5

Hi all, first time posting so hopefully this makes sense…

I had an 18 month contract from March 2022 which ended around September 2023. I was paying the increased out-of-contract monthly rate for a couple of months. 

I was moving house on 03/12/23 so I called up the team to get my account closed and the service cancelled on 27/11/23 (I was aware that this was short notice at the point of calling but securing my new home was delayed) but during this call was offered different rates to take to my new home. I called back on 05/12/23 to confirm that I wanted to go ahead with the cancellation as the offers did not match competitors. 

During the call on 05/12/23 the advisor went through the terms and conditions and stated that I would be subject to a 30-day cancellation period which would take me past my next billing date (fine as mentioned I knew I was contacting them with short notice) and that I didn’t need to pay an early exit fee as I was out of contract and I would also not need to return the router as I am out of contract. They said my cancellation was scheduled so I asked for something in writing to confirm this for my records. I didn’t receive anything.

I have spent several afternoons/evenings on live chat and the phone with the talk talk team about my cancellation and constantly given conflicting information since then. 

On 15/12/23, an advisor I spoke to on the phone explained that my new provider for my new home will contact them to formally take over my account at which point I will be issued a final bill and my account and direct debit will be cancelled and that the team would honour the agreement made re the router. I didn’t understand why my potential new provider would need to contact talk talk to trigger the accounts closure as I am in a completely different home 300 miles away but I accepted this at the time.

My main issue now is that due to infrastructure issues at my new home I am unable to have broadband installed for the foreseeable future. Meaning I will not have a provider to contact talk talk to trigger my final bill/account closure.

i have already paid an additional £33 for the billing period that fell within what I believed to be my 30-day notice period and I am now likely going to need to pay even more until I can get my account closed.

if anyone has any advice on how to proceed with this I would be really grateful as this cancellation process has been really stressful (all of the above is heavily streamlined for clarity sake) and I’m honestly feeling pretty defeated and debating whether it is worth seeking legal advice at this point because I can’t afford to be paying for a service I haven’t used for over a month when my cancellation is hinging on a non existent new provider.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi CancellationNightmare

I can see that a cancel request is on the account and is going through to complete tomorrow

Sorry for the problems you have had.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Glad you found your way here!

Can get confusing when we move the message around. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 thank you for this! I have updated my profile info as suggested. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

I'll move this to the billing section for you, @CancellationNightmare.

Please ensure that your old Talktalk landline number  / account number are entered in Personal Information in the Profile area. SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff respond during the day, Monday to Friday, but you may be a little late to get a response today. There is a queue for attention. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes