cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

CityFibre nightmare, switching ISP but my line is locked to TalkTalk

AnthGood
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I am with TalkTalk getting FTTP through CityFibre, my contract ended on the 7th July. I am wanting to switch ISP. This new ISP says they cannot even see an active CityFibre line at my address to allow me to order with them. This is because my line is locked (aka they call it provisioned) to TalkTalk and this provision needs to be released for me to even order with them.

This new intended ISP told me to terminate my service with TalkTalk to release this lock/provision. I have done this today and been told my line with terminate on the 29th August.

I then have went back to the new ISP and they are saying my line is still locked to TalkTalk.

When does this line lock get released? I cannot allow this to wait until the 29th August as this will mean I will have no internet at my property and it takes at least two weeks to set up a new line. I CANNOT allow no internet at my property for two weeks as I need this line for work.

This is utterly ridiculous situation with CityFibre. When does this line lock get released so i can order with the other ISP and risk no potential downtime?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

The process needs to be agreed between all FTTP providers. Until that happens the cease is the only option. 

Message 2 of 9

So lets say that is true - its not but lets say it is - what is TalkTalk doing about it to fix it? Anything or nothing?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

It's a problem across the Full Fibre upgrades and switches as a whole, @AnthGood, not unique to Talktalk. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

AnthGood
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

"break in service" you mean at the very least a 2 week break in service and likely longer because you cannot even order with the new provider until your line is dead. And then it will have to be as a new user that takes at least two weeks to setup.

So TalkTalk class two weeks plus with no internet just to leave you and go elsewhere as acceptable practice in 2023?

It is blatant anti-competitive practice trying to force people to remain within TalkTalk

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 9

Hi AnthGood 

The switching process for full fibre is not as easy as it is with FTTC, where a provider can take over a service with no loss, At the moment the only way is to cancel the service fully and then place a new order with the other provider. 

Unfortunately this will cause a break in service. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

I'll move this to the billing section, @AnthGood, where all the contract stuff can be investigated. 

The problem may be as much CityFibre's as Talktalk's  - will be helpful for other customers to find out too!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

I just want to make this clear officially from TalkTalk. Changing ISP to a competitor means you will prevent me from switching to a new provider entirely and then force me to have to be cut me off for at least two weeks with no internet just to acheive it?

And you think this is acceptable practice in 2023? And don't say its CityFibre, as my contract is with TalkTalk and not CityFibre

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

It seems to be the same scenario of having to wait for the cease to be effective as described earlier in the year, here, @AnthGood.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Billing/How-Close-to-the-end-of-your-contract-are-you-allowed-to...

Switching ISPs doesn't make the process any easier if it still involves CityFibre. 

0 Likes