cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Direct Debit Failure

amiaspden1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 25

Got a message today that my direct debit had failed. It looked so much like a scam I nearly ignored it, but thought I'd check my bank account. Money hadn't gone out - but there's enough money and the direct debit is active. Looks like TalkTalk haven't requested the payment.

The email said I'm going to be charged an extra £12.50. This will be a deal breaker for me after many years as a customer,  if you fail to take payment and then charge me for that failure. 

24 REPLIES 24

Message 2 of 25

@DalesFlat 

I am not sure why you have posted on this thread? You can set up a Direct Debit via My Account. If you are having any issues with that, please start your own topic.

0 Likes

DalesFlat
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 25

I've payed my Bill manually could you please set up a direct debit for the 9'th of each month?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

@smeaghan

If you are on the DWP Jobcentre Plus scheme, you need to decide before it ends what you want to do.

If you have come to the end of the 6 months, it's likely that the DWP has stopped paying, and you need to contact Talktalk directly either to set up a deal or cancel.

You can't cancel through the forums but must call Talktalk directly on 03451 720088. Lines are open today till 6pm. Not open Sunday. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Cancel-your-TalkTalk-service/ta-p/2204737

If you need further help, please start your own thread as support staff only reply to the original poster. 

To start your own topic, return to the message board and click on start a topic.

Staff reply Monday to Friday, daytime. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

smeaghan
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 25

I recieved an e mail that i had cancelled my direct debit. I was told universal credit had paid you for 6 months and i had nothing to pay.As i am on benifits i can not afford broadband so wish to cancil when my 6 months has finished

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Judging by similar threads. As advised, if you want reassurance from a TalkTalk staff member then please start your own topic.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

How do you know I won't get charged?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

@alsoangry, this thread is about a completely separate issue with the billing system that occurred a couple of months ago. 

The problems for customers migrating from Shell are a completely different problem. 

It is a known issue, and you won't be charged, but please return to the message board and click on start a topic to open your own thread if you wish staff to check your particular account. 

0 Likes

alsoangry
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 25

same happened to me talk talk told me migration from shell would be seemless so why my fault £12.50 admin fee 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Thank you for the update, Im sorry for any confusion caused last month.

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 25

I am pleased to report that the direct debit was taken correctly today. An apology for the TalkTalk system error on 17 May and in  particular for the threatening email sent subsequently would be welcome, but I don't suppose it will be forthcoming. 

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

If you need support, please start your own thread, @BruceN31.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Some compensation from Talk Talk for the inconvenience caused ( I've just come off a long call from my bank who confirmed that there was no problem with their systems or my account) would be good - how about the £12.50 you were going to be charging me for not paying on time? 

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 25

Thank you Arne. This is welcome news. I will be checking my bank statement on 17th June in the hope that the next direct debit has been requested by TalkTalk and actioned by my bank: in other words that normal service has been resumed.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Hi 

As you have paid, the balance  is zero so there wont be a second request when the issue is fixed. 

The billing team are saying that there will be no extra charges on the next bill, when they expect the problem to be resolved. 

Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused by this .

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Yes, @amiaspden1, Talktalk has a very irritating habit of sending out generic emails, causing unnecessary anxiety. 

Let's hope they learn something from this. 

Even if they can't stop the original glitch, they should be able to avoid subsequent gaffs.

As you say, it's quite some time since they failed to take the money by their supposedly preferred method that we are all encouraged to use.

Message 18 of 25

Hi @alexinstitches, now that they know there's a fault I don't expect the charge to be applied. Just keep an eye on your account for the next billing cycle.

What I suspect happened was that a billing run crashed out before it was completed, leaving multiple accounts unpaid. No-one spotted the error (that's bad - software will generally fail at some point but it should be spotted). Then a fortnight later a report ran, looking for all the accounts that were overdue payment, and sent us a standard email.

Message 19 of 25

THE  SAME   HAS  HAPPENED TO ME, what is the best  way forward i paid immediately but we  should not be penalised     financially for this,chat bot  doesnt understand

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 25

Thank you Arne. I did not log into Community until after I had spoken to Customer Services but I now see that the problem affects several others.

As TalkTalk is aware of the fault, it should have warned affected customers rather than send emails threatening a surcharge for non-payment. Of course, this would have meant a human being intervening rather than leaving the system on autopilot but it would have averted ill-feeling towards the company with at least one customer threatening to leave. I hope this point will be passed up the chain to the management. I, like many others, are very pleased with the much improved service we get from the company but it can still do better.

I trust that I and others who have now paid last month’s bill with a debit or credit card or by some other means will not be debited again for this bill when the system has been fixed.

Incidentally it is a while since I logged into the Community and I appreciate the new system to log in with a code sent by email. But far from the code lasting ten minutes as stated, in the space of five minutes I received three codes!

Pal353
0 Likes