cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband connection extremely poor over past 3 days

CallumRanger
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Over the past 3 days, my partner and I have been experiencing endless issues with our Talktalk broadband, where we used to routinely have 25mbps and over as we should do, we are constantly getting our devices drop out connection specifically around 9am and this can last all day sometimes, I just ran 4 speed tests and all came back between 2 and 3 Mbps which is unacceptable. As a result, we now have to restart our router Every day just to get the connection speed we need to work and use devices. 

Please advise on what is causing this, it seems to be non stop and we shouldn't have to restart our router Every day.

Thanks

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Morning,

Just checking back in to see if the router has arrived and how you're getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi CallumRanger

I have ordered you a replacement router, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi Michelle, 

We don't have a replacement router, I can't remember if we ever have had this router replaced, it would be ideal to be able to test a new router if possible.

What's the procedure for this?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. I've re-checked the connection stats again and the line test is clear, however I can see a few re-connections. As this is happening to both wired and wireless devices I think we should test with a different router. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with please? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes and also a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10

Hi Michelle,

I have my work laptop on a wired ethernet connection and the rest of our devices are wireless. Oddly my laptop is the first to drop it's connection, it dropped again this morning at 09:00 and is temperamental with our other household laptop too right now. 

These connection issues seem to happen at the same time each day. I am again using my personal data off my phone. Presuming the connection continues to be unstable into this evening I'll have to restart my router again. 

Out of all the Wireless devices in our household it appears to be a random roulette between which ones drop connection between the mobile phones, wireless laptop and Amazon fire stick.

At the moment our WiFi is showing 18.4 download and 5.9 upload, yet our mobile devices are showing (no internet) on our WiFi and not working, so I'm very confused as to what's happening here 

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Can I just confirm, do the speeds also drop if you connect wired?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

If your laptop is using a wired ethernet connection to the router, and it loses connection, even though the LED on the router remains solid white, then this may point more to some sort of problem with the router itself. Connections over Wi-Fi can be affected by lots of things that can make them drop or slow down, but a wired ethernet connection should remain pretty solid all of the time.

The router should keep itself up to date with firmware automatically, but the support team here will be able to check that when they return on Monday. If they did suspect your router may have an issue then they would also be able to arrange a replacement for you.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi Skynet,

When the internet drops off  the physical WiFi is still showing, but when you connect a device it says " no internet".  The router always shows a white constant light at all times, not the amber light that happens when the router is only just restarted.

As it stands at the moment, the WiFi is currently working for an Amazon fire stick for example, but not for x2 mobile phones, I don't know if this is bandwidth preference, but either way I should be able to still use all devices on internet that should be between 20-30bps.

In terms of wired/unwired, my work laptop is always the first to drop connection from the WiFi around 09:00, and this is wired to ethernet connection, so if anything it should be better, but it isn't.

If I then plug this ethernet into a games console, it refuses to connect to the internet and I have to wirelessly connect.

The router we have is rather old, I don't know if there any way of checking for any firmware/software updates but please advise on how to fix this issue 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi @CallumRanger,

When the devices drop connection do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

Are you doing the speed test from a wired or wireless device, it is always best to do it from a wired device to get accurate results.

The Support Team here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes