cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Constant disconnects after free upgrade

liam007x
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hello Team,

We were given an upgrade over the last few days and an engineer attended my house to fit a new socket and new router.

Since this has happened, my download speeds has gone from stable 9Mbps to now unstable 80kb.... and periods of no internet. 

There is no fault with my hardware or setup, the issue started since the upgrade and the engineer visit. All devices in the building are experiencing this fault which leads to the router or line. Router has been power cycled to no difference.  

I have also bought a wifi booster as the router is in a new location because the engineer couldn't install it in its original place. No change in problems with the booster installed and setup. 

What can you suggest? 

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi liam007x

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

Please post here again if you do need any further help.

Thanks 

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hello Debbie, 

Unfortunately not, I don't have a laptop I can plug in and my desktop is too far away for a cable. 

I think at the moment it is doing ok, I have not seen my connection cut off completely since Wednesday which was the main issue. There are still some spikes in speeds which may just be teething problems.

Im happy to close out this post or ticket if you have one 🙂 

Message 3 of 20

Hi liam007x

Did you manage to test the speed at the ONT?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hi liam007x

Thanks for your reply.

It would also be worth testing directly at the ONT to run a speed test.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for the support so far.

Although there was no total disconnects yesterday the speed wasnt the greatest and had some spikes but I think these could just be teething issues.

Ill continue to monitor and will update this post 

Message 6 of 20

Hi liam007x

I'm so glad to hear this.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection over the next few days and let us know how you get on.

Thanks again.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hello Debbie, 

Just a quick update, I have not changed anything as of yet. 

When I got home, my father advised that he contacted TalkTalk in the morning and they identified a fault which was also resolved a little bit later on. 

I have been running a constant ping since I got home and not seen any spikes like I did the last couple days which is fantastic.

Not sure if this was due to turning off the Wifi optimisation or the fault that was resolved but so far so good. 

Message 8 of 20

Hi liam007x

No problem. It's switched off now, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Thanks Debbie,

Yeah if you can turn it off and ill try setting up the channels later on and see. 

Message 10 of 20

Hi liam007x

No it wont affect the connection now, only when you start to change the wireless channels yourself.

Change your wireless channel

Only we can switch the WIFI optimisation off for you. You can't do in the router admin page.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hello Debbie, will that disconnect the current users connected at the moment? 

Im away from the house right now so cant really do much testing, but I got some users at home that will most likely be using it now.

Is that somthing I can turn off myself later on via the router admin settings? 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi liam007x

I can try switching the WIFI optimisation off so you can try different wireless channels, would you like to try this?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hello Debbie,

It is a Hub2. Same as what I had previously before the upgrade

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Forgot to say, ill check the lights on the ONT tonight when im getting issues to see if anything changes. 

I dont know if this will be possible as the spikes can last from 15 secs to 3minutes so could be back up by the time I get down and get the ladders out. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20
0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for checking, the connection is not always at fault but rather sporadic. 

I dont think it will be possible for me to connect a device directly to the ONT as the engineer installed it above my fridges and I dont have a cable long enough to reach my desktop on 2nd floor.

Originally the router was located on the 1st floor and the master socket was on the ground floor. The engineer installed this new router on the ground floor near the new ONT above some fridges. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi liam007x

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Have you noticed if any of the lights change on the ONT when the connection is unstable? Would it be possible to connect directly at the ONT for a short period with the router removed to see how the connection compares please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

Hello Debbie,

I have added my landline number to the TalkTalk number section in my profile, hopefully thats the right place.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi liam007x

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes