cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Constant drop outs with my broadband

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 84 of 84

Helllo,

This is a re-occuring problem that's gotten so bad it's just a joke. I've have constant drop-outs in broadband connection that happen at leat twice a week for months now (Sometimes lasts for days when I can't get a stable connection and internet is pretty much unusable).

I am getting beyond frustrated and just want a stable connection, is that too much to ask? What the hell do I pay for?! 

Could an OCE please look into this ASAP?

Thanks.

0 Likes
83 REPLIES 83

Message 1 of 84

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 84

Hi,

Ok, I am out all day today so will check how my connection is when I get back later. I'll update you tomorrow about booking an engineer.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 84

Hi

This would be an Openreach engineer, only they can work on the external line / network.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 84

Hi,

After reading the article about engineer charges, there seems to be many options, which one would apply to me? A TalkTalk engineer or Openreach engineer?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 84

Hi

Just to add, as you are on an older ADSL service, you may also want to consider the option of upgrading to a fibre service in the future that will give a more reliable service than older copper lines.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 84

Hi

Our article Engineer charges - TalkTalk Help & Support will explain about the charge of £65 for an Openreach engineer, if it is warranted.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 84

Hi, 

So, I have done all the suggested things (test sockets, etc.) and the problem still persists. I am not confident at all at where the problem stems from, I am not an internet expert, that's meant to be you guys. I'm just another disgruntled TalkTalk customer (of many it seems) just wanting a reliable broadband service. 

You still haven't answered my questions about the cost of sending out an engineer, please could you do so and explain to me the whole process of sending out an engineer and what happens.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 84

Hi

By required checks, they mean from your side, test socket tested, alternative router tested if required, check phone line is clear of any noise etc.

The Test socket is the BT Openreach demarcation point, so if tested directly at the test socket and the issue persists, and you are confident the issue is not caused by anything within your property, then that would leave the external Network, which is the responsibility of Openreach.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 9 of 84

Hi,

Just got your last reply. So have all the required checks been done?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 84

Hi

We seem to have posted at the same time, but see my last reply and let me know how you want to proceed.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 11 of 84

Hi Karl,

Ok, let me know how that comes along, fingers crossed it will work!

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 84

Hi

Networks have replied and advised that DLM cannot be turned off and that if the required checks have been done then an engineer is the only option left to us.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 84

Hi

i've asked our network teams if it's possible to turn off DLM for your line and set a manual profile to see if stability will hold.

If this does not help then the engineer may be the only option.

I'll let you know as soon as they reply.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 84

HI Karl,

Can you see on your end what is going on with my connection and SNR? If so, can't you do something about it there?

If I book an engineer, will I be charged for doing so and if so, how much? That is my concern, if the engineer finds nothing wrong and I will still be charged and the problem doesn't get fixed, and I'm back at square one with terrible internet service!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 84

Hi

The next option it to book an engineer for you.  The line keeps dropping, SNR is dropping low so the only way forward is to have an engineer look at this.  Would you like to arrange this now ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 16 of 84

Hi Karl,

As far as I can see, my external phone line connects to a telephone pole that is located directly outside my property, there are no trees or obstructions. The router that I currently have is the latest TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Router that was sent to me earlier this year.

I have also taken the faceplate off my phone socket and am now connected to the test socket as suggested and my connection is still dropping out constantly, I would even say its worse, dropping out every minute and not staying stable at all!

I am so tired of this, please advise on what can be done, I just want a stable connection with a speed of 12mbps, I'm not asking for much!😭

0 Likes

Message 17 of 84

Hi

i've optimised the connection and reset the dataport.

If the line is continually dropping then we need to look at why.

As your on an older ADSL service using the phone line, can you see the external line, is it overhead and does it pass through any obstruction, near to trees etc ?

How old is the current router ?

Have you tried running the router at the 'Test Socket' for a while to see if this is more stable ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 18 of 84

Hi,

So my connection has been pretty much fine over the weekend, I was getting speeds of 11 - 12 mbps and it was stable.

It hasn't lasted long though, just today my connection has started dropping out again. I tested my line using the TalkTalk Live Connection Test and results came back positive saying the line was tested and it looks like it's woking as it should. The connection was stable again with speeds of 12mbps for a couple of hours or so and now its dropping out again every few minutes, making it impossible to connect and again I'm writing this message using my mobile hotspot!

Please could you stabilise my connection, this is getting beyond annoying!

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 84

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Peter_F
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 20 of 84

Hi Karl,

Thanks, I can see the speed is back up to 12 mbps, I'll monitor over the weekend and see how the connection fares.

Cheers again!

0 Likes