cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

DG8041W Random Reboots

AdrianStannard
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

This router has been randomly rebooting almost since I first had it - and seems to be getting worse - up to several times per day.

I have tried official support channels, eventually new firmware was installed, which appeared to fix the problem for one day.

My line worked perfectly fine with BT router, never had issues like this - the DG8041W logs showed it had rebooted, but no cause (Tech support didn't even bother to check the logs).

I am getting to my wits end - I work quite a bit from home and am frequently losing connection to online meetings.

Google searches show this is a known problem with the DG8041W.

Are there any alternative broadband routers available?

Adrian Stannard
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Thanks Karl, 

As said in reply to Skynet its not always Kernel panic, the one a little whiole ago was something else (router rebooted, not just network down).

Not sure if relevant but I notice it seems to occur most often whenever there is a VPN service (Cisco Anyconnect) running to my work network.

Anyway fingers crossed 1.06 resolves it. Will update in due course.

Adrian Stannard
0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi Skynet not all are kernel errors, this morning for example was:

2023-01-03 09:28:58 [Critical][Debug-Log] static:Receive DSL port down msg!
2023-01-03 09:28:59 [Debug][Debug-Log] static:[WAN_MNGT] ipv4 if set wan state down, wan Index=0x10201001.
2023-01-03 09:28:59 [Debug][Debug-Log] static:[L2M] xdsl channel 1 state change process. Status=down.
2023-01-03 09:30:42 [Critical][Debug-Log] static:Receive DSL port init msg!
2023-01-03 09:30:43 [Critical][Debug-Log] static:Receive DSL port trainning msg!
2023-01-03 09:31:06 [Critical][Debug-Log] static:Receive DSL port up msg!
2023-01-03 09:31:07 [Critical][Debug-Log] static:[dhcpc]get wan[wan3] ifindex[41] and Mac Addr[a0:1c:8d:63:51:9c] success!
2023-01-03 09:31:07 [Debug][Debug-Log] static:[L2M] xdsl channel 1 state change process. Status=up.

It is still V1.05T - it was a minor update allegedly to slightly different build

Adrian Stannard
0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi

Firmware updated to V1.06t. This addresses the Kernal panic issue that can cause the drops in some circumstances. Try this and see if performance improves.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 10

Hi

Thanks for updating the details. I'll update the firmware now, should take about 5 minutes.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Thanks Karl, just done.

Just had a random reboot 5 mins ago!

Adrian Stannard
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

Hi Adrian

Can you please add your home phone number or account number to your 'Community Profile' so I can pick this up for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi @AdrianStannard,

The known issue that can cause the DG8041W to reboot only affects firmware version 1.05t, if you were on that version, and you were being affected by this problem, then you would see mentions of 'Kernel Panic' errors in the routers log. Firmware 1.06t resolves that problem.

What exactly do you see in the log, i.e. is the router actually just rebooting, or is it losing connection to the internet and having to reconnect ?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Talktalk does use another model. 

You need to complete your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account, @AdrianStannard.

Please go via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information. Add your Talktalk landline number/account number and SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff will reply during the week, after the New Year Bank Holiday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.