cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

High latency spikes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hi,

For the past 4 weeks or so I've been experiencing consistent spikes of high latency on my connection.

The spikes tend occur every 3-6 minutes but this varies. They tend to last 15-30 seconds.

I'm primarily basing this on online gaming (FIFA or call of duty on ps5) but as I work from home it affects my calls on MS teams etc.

I've tried a few things so far:

Purchased a new TP link router

Forced separate 5ghz connection

Disconnected all devices except one to test

Connected ps5 through ethernet and wireless

Adjusted connection preference in router setup to favour a device

My usual down speed is somewhere around 50mb and this seems pretty consistent but I don't have any recordings of the ping spikes as not sure how to go about that.

I've run out of things to try based on googling it so have resorted to a post here in the hope that someone has a potential solution

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi

Is it possible to borrow a handset from a friend or neighbour for a am hour or two to see if there are any noise spikes on the line.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 20

Thanks for checking all of this, appreciate it's hard to diagnose when the line looks fine. 

I don't have a phone plugged into the landline so can't comment on noise etc. 

I've tried a factory reset on the router as well but issue is still present today unfortunately!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Sn1004,

Line test is clear, sync speed is very good and I've checked the realtime date on the Openreach website for the last few days, the error count is very low with no non-available seconds. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 20

Yes that's all correct 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Morning,

Thanks for confirming this. So just to confirm, this intermittently happens throughout the day when connected wired and with just the one device connected to the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 20

I've tried this twice in the past few days, ensuring the router was off for over 30 mins. Unfortunately it's made no difference and still experiencing the original issue.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

The router would have to be left off for at least 30 minutes (rather that just switched off and back on again) to start a new session, could you confirm that you've tried this recently

Chris

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 20

I have tried this in the past to no avail. I've also bought a new router and set it to automatically reboot daily but this has not fixed the problem. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi Sn1004,

Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and monitor to see if there's any improvement. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 20

I don't suppose a line test would catch the issue as it only happens every few mins.

I haven't noticed a particular time of day where it's better or worse but the issue is always there. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see a couple of the results look a bit high but the majority of the results look ok. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection stats look good. Does this seem to happen at a certain time of the day or at random?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 20

I'll re-escalate this thread for you, @Sn1004.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 20

So unfortunately months later I'm still experiencing this issue. Word doc attached with a continuous ping test to Google, you can see the ping jumps to 200-500ms at pretty regular intervals, certainly enough to impact teams calls and online gaming. Would appreciate some possible solutions 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi

1. Open the Windows Run box by pressing the Windows key and the letter R. 
  2. Type "ping " followed by the IP address to ping. ...
  3. Type "-t" after the IP address to run the ping continuously

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 20

thanks for testing the line

ive been running the ping and trace tests but not been able to catch it at the time where its lagging - is there some way i can run a longer test? i imagine it would need 5 mins to catch the spike taking place

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats currently look ok. Would it be possible to run a wired ping and trace route the next time this happens and post the results into the thread please?

Run a Ping or Traceroute - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

0 Likes

Sn1004
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 20

Thanks for reading. I have updated my profile 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 20

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

Hi @Sn1004 your post has been escalated but you need to add your landline phone number to your community profile so that you can be identified please don't post personal details here. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes