cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

How do you know you are on Fibre

mikevick55
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 54

How can you tell whether you on fibre or not. We are on Fibre 35. As far as I am aware there has never been any change to the cable from the telegraph pole in the street to our house and we have lived here 37 years?

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 1 of 54

Hi

Sorry, we have no information regarding the app release. 

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 54

Thanks for that. On a different topic. Do you know when the talktalk app for android will be released??

0 Likes

Message 3 of 54

Hi Mike

I've checked the connection stats this morning and the line is in sync at 40mb.

Thanks

Message 4 of 54

Just over 30 at the moment but earlyier today we had 35

0 Likes

Message 5 of 54

Morning,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see that the sync speed has increased again. What speeds are you currently seeing at the moment please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 54

Have been getting over 23 this morning just done another and it was 23.24 so I am assuming line has now stabilised

Thanks again

0 Likes

Message 7 of 54

He said we could get 39 mbps but it meant dissconnecting the internal master socket and telephone extensions and running a new line into the house thus we could run router and a single phone from new socket. This was not practical and we are happy with the speed of 18. mbps

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 54

Hello,

Did the engineer advise what speeds they would expect to see for the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 54

@mikevick55 wrote:

Engineer attended and reset DLM also replaced cable from telegraph to house. Speeds back to 18.15 Download.

Sounds like progress but still leaves unanswered questions.

Arne stated that your guaranteed speed is 24Mbps, yet you say that you are still only getting 18.15Mbps. Is this the router sync speed or a throughput speed test?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 54

Morning,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 11 of 54

Engineer attended and reset DLM also replaced cable from telegraph to house. Speeds back to 18.15 Download.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 54

Still not sorted. Open reach engineer attending on 28th June 2022.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 54

Hi mikevick55

Your minimum guaranteed speed is 24mbps. 

Line tests are showing a fault so an engineer is needed to boost your speed to when the line can hold

0 Likes

Message 14 of 54

Thank you for a compehensive answer

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 54

@mikevick55,

You should have been given estimated speeds and a guaranteed minimum at the beginning of your contract.

Your guaranteed minimum should also be stated on the Service Centre speed test page.

You could also look up your address on the BTOpenreach checker here BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) to get a rough idea of the estimated speeds for your line.

As well as all the above, you stated yourself that you were getting about 18 to 20Mbps before the recent outage, so I would guess that's the sort of speed you should be getting, rather than the 7Mbps that it appears you are currently getting.

@Debbie-TalkTalk has stated that line tests are picking up a potential fault, and has offered to book an Engineer appointment. If you have ruled out the router and everything else in the house then the way I see it, the only logical thing to do is get an Engineer to look at the line.

By the way, the Fibre65 package allows speeds up to 80/20Mbps Download/Upload whereas Fibre35 is capped at 40/10Mbps, so if (after you get the fault fixed) you're line is not capable of any faster than 40Mbps download, there's no point upgrading to Fibre65.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 54

I appreciate your input. I assume you have read back through and seen what I have said before about losing the internet etc. Everyone says my line is syncing at 7 mbps so that must be all I will get. So why waste an engineers time if that will not improve back to pre 20th May 2022 figures. I am not being awkward just would like someone to tell me in plain language what I should get.  Thanks again for your reply

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 54

@mikevick55 ,

There is usually a fee involved when renewing or upgrading if you are not near the end of your contract, but don't you think it would be advisable to get the current fault fixed before even thinking about that? Staff are offering to arrange an Engineer visit for you.

The other question would be what speed your line is capable of achieving when it is fault-free to determine whether or not an upgrade to Fibre65 would be of any benefit.

0 Likes

mikevick55
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 54

Can I change my current contract from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 without a penalty

0 Likes

Message 19 of 54

Hi Mike

Your line is in sync at 7.1mb. Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 54

I find the numbers remove themselves almost as soon as I click there.

Check also for new messages: envelope symbol, @mikevick55

20220615_233953.jpg

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes