cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

How to get a Huawei-DG8041W Firmware update

Binny
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

Hi,

Not sure if this is how to get an Update, if not could someone tell me how to.

Please can an OCE update my router to the latest firmware.

Router: Huawei DG8041W

Current Firmware Version: v1.05t

the problem I am having is an intermittent error occurring with the DHCP server, well at least my Solar Inverter supplier thinks it’s a router problem.  Ideally the best solution is to make the device ip address static. This feature is not working in firmware version v1.05t so I am hoping an update will fix this.

Thanks

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Morning Binny

Apologies, I will post back on your other topic.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

Hi Debbie, Yes, thank you. I installed it on Sunday.  Had some problems, had firmware updated, still some problems.  I will follow them up on that topic.

Anyway, thanks for sending the router so promptly.  Binny.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31
0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Hi @Binny 

Thank you.

The router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 31

When do you think it will arrive

0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

Done it, thanks.

Message 7 of 31

Hi @Binny 

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then send the router (there will be no charge for this router)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

Debbie, please send me a Sagencom router.  I assume this is a free of charge. Regards.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 31

OK it has been a very long time ago that I used this router, there was only ever one firmware update V1.06. That was released to fix a stability issue. All of a sudden after quite a time that was pulled & reverted to the original V1.05. Now it is discontinued, as I have said.

Yes the DHCP Reserved IP addressing works fine in the 5364, I have used it a lot.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

My problem is with the continually changing ip addresses due to dhcp leasing. Also, checking MAC addresses.  Having said that, good idea with WiFi ssid and password., Thanks, I will do this.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

This looks like the screen shot from the Huawei.  I oh know this feature exists in the Huawei, tried it, it does not work with my firmware release. This was my first chat with a Talktalk rep.

hopefully this feature in the Sagencom will work, have you tried it?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 31

Anyway if all you are worried about is DHCP Reserved IP addresses, it has supported this from its launch. Log into the router & go to:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > LAN Configuration > DHCP Static IP Configuration

The current list of static IP addresses & add new ones:-

DHCP Reserved IP addressesDHCP Reserved IP addresses

Although I agree that the term Static IP addresses used here is wrong, if you look at the above screenshot, you can see that this is actually DHCP Reserved addresses.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 31

@Binny 

Why would it be a "real pain" to change the router? If your concern is about setting up a fresh connection for each device, then the simple solution would be to change the Wireless network SSID and password on the new router to the same as your present one. All devices should then connect just as before. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 31

Hi @Binny 

The Huawei DG8041W has been discontinued & the standard TalkTalk practice is to replace it with the Sagemcom FAST 5364 which fully supports DHCP Reserved IP addresses.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

My problem is not the WiFi, I already have a mesh solution in place (devolo) which extends the Huawei WiFi, works well and no problem with performance (no bandwidth splitting as with extenders).

My problems are with the dhcp service.  I am very concerned with security and so like to know exactly what’s on my network.  I have 50+ devices on the ip, so keeping track of  what’s on my network is a problem.  About half have static ip addresses, these are easy to manage. The rest are a real pain.  The solution should be reserved ip addresses but this feature does not work on the Huawei, hence my request for a firmware update from TalkTalk.

Another problem is that I have a FoxESS solar panel inverter which occasionally disconnects from the network when its ip address is refreshed by the dhcp service.  Of course the FoxEss folks say they have not seen this problem before, they sent me another SmartLan dongle but the problem has happened since,  the frequency is about once every month or so.

So, it’s either the inverter or the router, no way for me to sort it.   

With the number of devices on my network it’s going to be a real pain to change the router, so it seemed like a good idea to split the TalkTalk modem bit from the in-house network bit.

i currently have 65mb fibre to the local substation, and copper to the house. Don’t need higher performance right now, so a modem + router solution sounded like a gone approach.

Guess I need to rethink what I am going to do.

thanks for all your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 31

Plus @Binny if you are a bit out of your depth as you say, then buying a 266 will not only be cheaper, but alongside the Sagemcom router, it can be as simple as plug 'n' play, depending on your requirements. Although you might be able to connect your proposed TP-Link to the TalkTalk network (if it is compatible and has the correct modem built into it), this will require some configuration. You will be on your own with that.

I can help with any Sagemcom router or 266 issues.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 31

Hi @Binny 

You cannot bridge anything via a WAN port, I think that you may be confused over some of the terminology. No TalkTalk router supports modem or bridge mode any way, but you can get around it.

With the Sagemcom connected to the broadband, leave this router on its default IP network (192.168.1.0/24) and connect via an Ethernet cable from one of its Ethernet ports to a WAN port of your third-party router. Configure that to be on a different subnet, but you are creating a Double NAT environment. However, that is only an issue if you plan to use any port forwarding (I can help with that as well). 

I cannot give any advice on third-party routers. However, once you have the Sagemcom, there is a better solution. Contact the Loyalty department (0345 1725157 or 0330 1278960) & buy a Sagemcom FAST 266 Wi-Fi Booster. Whilst I don't know the exact price, I would expect that it will be an awful lot cheaper than your proposed TP-Link purchase. When connected to the Sagemcom router, the 266 forms a mesh network. This is not only the best way to expand Wi-Fi coverage these days, but is also a much simpler approach. The FAST 266 is Wi-Fi 6 compatible, but unlike that 3rd party router is not WiFi 6E compatible. Do you have many WiFi 6 devices? In either case, your broadband speed would most likely be the limiting factor. As you have posted this thread in the Broadband board, I assume that you are not on even a fibre package, let alone full fibre, the WiFi speeds should not be so critical.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Hi

you can connect another router to the sagemcom, but if you are going to use your own router you could just connect this as the main router.  Many customers do use their own routers, as long as it is vdsl compatible.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Hi Keith,

ok, I see where your coming from.  It looks like the Huawei is a dead end, so I think I will have to move to the Sagencom.

Well if your writing manuals on these devices I guess you probably know more about them than most people.  So, do you know if it’s possible to just use the Sagencom as the modem and have it bridge (via the WAN port) to a 3rd party router, I was looking at the TP-Link Archer AXE75.  I am a bit out of my depth here, apologies if I am mixing things up.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 31

Hi Debbie, 

Sorry for the slow response but my head is spinning trying to understand if the Sagemcom is going to do what I want.  

Can I just ask the following (sorry if I have asked before), can the Sagencom be configured as the modem and then a third party router connected via the Sagencoms WAN port to handle all the in-house ip, dhcp and WiFi requirements?

If this is not the right place to get this answer could you point me in the right direction.

0 Likes