cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

I would like to upgrade to fibre...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I recently signed up to the Fast Broadband package, which was installed on the 9th of March following a slight delay. But I find it's horrendously slow all of the time. So, no offense, but the awful quality means I simply cannot really upload anything, or stream HD content. The speed is utter dog, you know what. 

At any giving time, I will only get about 1 MBPS of upload speed, if that. Which is, um, totally rank. Outside, on my phone, I could probably, depending on where my signal is situated, get up to 6 to 8 MBPS with Giffgaff. But there's pros and cons to using mobile data, of course. 

One 15 minute long HD video being uploaded to YouTube with TalkTalk, takes absolutely ages, whether I connect with a LAN cable or over Wi-Fi. It takes hours, in fact. Sometimes I don't even bother completing the upload, and have to cancel it as it's not any good. So then I just end up feeling like I wasted half my day over nothing...

My mate has Internet with one of your rivals, Sky, and it's significantly quicker. 

For general browsing, it's not really noticeable. However, for streaming or uploading videos, a snail on crutches would probably be able to outdo the speed.

The whole point of getting broadband back after tethering with my mobile hotspot is that I wanted faster Internet for using Prime Video, YouTube and the WWE Network, etc. Basically, anything that requires a fast connection.

It's 2022 and the Internet shouldn't still be this bad. 

Also, today, I received a call about 40 minutes ago, from an 0800 number which I didn't answer since I didn't immediately recognise it, and which according to various complaints on your support forums, could be from a scammer. Basically, somebody from "TalkTalk" who is almost always foreign, calls asking for the customer's details. It happened days after I registered as well. I was outside at the time going for a walk, and I said I couldn't log in to look, as I didn't have my details at hand. Not fishy at all... 

Is fibre available in my area, by any chance? I'm in Edinburgh. The EH16 (Niddrie) vicinity...

If anybody should call from TalkTalk, I have to be sure the call is genuine. 

Anyway, if you ignored this wall of text... I basically get awful speed 24/7 and I feel like it's atrocious, and not worth my money. So I was hoping to upgrade.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 8

I will update my profile in a jiffy. 😎

I checked to see if fibre is available in my area, and it's not. I'm hoping to move back to Leith when I acquire enough bids with the Edinburgh council, so maybe one day I can upgrade. But for now, I'm going to be stuck with an upload speed of only 1 MBPS. 😑

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi @PineappleDelight

Thanks for your post

I can look into this but first, can you please update your community profile to include:

Name

Telephone number or account number.

Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Regards

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Try this checker using your exact address and also the main comparison sites.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

Somehow, I don't think it's available in my area. 😐

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Does fibre show as available in your My Account under offers or upgrades? If not then it may be worth contacting our Loyalty Team directly as they will be able to check, confirm and upgrade this for you if it is available.

Thanks

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

@Anonymous  nobody will call you from here.

The maximum upload on Fast Broadband is 1 MBPS, that's all the technology supports.

Have a look in your online My Account under "Offers and Upgrades" to see if fibre is on offer.

You could also call 0345 172 0088 and ask.