cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Lower download speeds with new router

mdeloughry
Participant
Private Message
Message 27 of 27

Hi,

Over the weekend I received a new Sagecome router to replace my old one. Straight off the bat I noticed lower speeds but just put it down to bedding in issues, so packaged my older router to return.

The speed is a good 6-10 Mbps slower than previously (upload has increased however from 1.8 to 4-5mbps)

Today the speeds haven't increased so I tried to see if it was my internal hardware, I connected my laptop directly up to the router with the included ethernet cable ( and later tried with another as a good measure) nothing else attached with wifi disabled, so I can be doubly sure only one device was connected, and below are the results.

New speedsAnd below are the just an example of the older speeds I had to hand

Old Speed test

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 21 of 27

Hello,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed hasn't increased. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 22 of 27

Hi,

Ok thanks and we will check back in with you on Wednesday to see how the speeds look then.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Sure I'm happy to wait it's still usable, just would like to get all the speed I can get as it's already relatively low 😅.

and yes, I've replaced everything for the new equipment, and also have tested all existing network cables with a tester, and everything seems fine.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 27

Hi,

Ok I see, thanks for confirming. It's possible that sync speed may increase over the next few days as part of the optimisation period. Did you also replace the cables that came with the router? Would it be ok if we check this again in 48hrs to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 25 of 27

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply, it was DG8041W not entirely sure what the make is just I know it was the same form factor as the Sagemcom router just with grey holes instead of the orange ones.

I changed it as I needed to expose a port externally, but when I did that on the old one I wasn't able to prevent the router's interface from being exposed and was advised that this was the only way (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Trying-to-disable-remote-managment-on-DG8041W)

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 26 of 27

Morning,

I'll take a look at this now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped. What was the make and model of the original router? Is there any reason why you swapped routers? It's possible that DLM may increase the speed again over the next few days if the connection remains stable.

Thanks

0 Likes