cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Netflix thinks I'm using a VPN / unblocker / proxy service?

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

In the last few days we noticed certain shows disappearing and reappearing from Netflix. We've identified that it only happens on our TalkTalk connection (when using the Netflix app on mobile data the affected shows are still visible).

We contacted Netflix support who told us that 'our systems have detected that you are connecting via a VPN, proxy, or “unblocker” service'.

We were directed to this Netflix knowledge base article: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/277?g=44944D6EB950D6A3AAC307E1BEE6361B6451BC7D&lkid=URL_SUPPORT_277...

I've verified that we are not (at least knowingly) using any kind of VPN or proxy with our connection. Our external IP address appears to be the correct TalkTalk one, the Fast.com speed checker shows us as a TalkTalk customer in GB.

I guess TalkTalk need to contact Netflix in order to get the IP address removed from a blacklist, how do I get this resolved?

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Message 1 of 46

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

playpad
Participant
Private Message
Message 2 of 46

Guys - I'm having exactly the same issue, it's the perticular dynamic IP thinks I'm in different region and set of shows disappers. Any solution, I think I know which ip this happens - as this issue cycles and suspect when that perticular ip is assigned issue comes back.

@Michelle-TalkTalk @Debbie-TalkTalk any help appreciated - I can send my info, FYI I'm on FTTP.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 46

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

SCOTTIO1988
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 46

Did this get sorted out? I’m constantly round in circles with TalkTalk and Netflix, blaming each other and not taking responsibility. Although I’m leaning in favour to Netflix as this issue only happens when on the Talktalk network. On my mobile data or other network, it’s absolutely fine! No VPN, No proxy!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 46

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look at your topic now.

Thanks

0 Likes

Willbarber95
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 46

I've just started having the same issues on my netflix last night. Been given a new router by talk talk couple months ago now because previous one wasn't working too well. (New one is FAST 5364-3. T8.) And Netflix was working fine. Now last night titles disappeared but appear fine on mobile network. What is the advice given to sort this please? 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 46
0 Likes

Message 8 of 46

Netflix still saying exactly the same thing with no willingness to give any indication that they might fix this, so I've cancelled my subscription. Thank you for your attempts to help.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 46

@Paul Fenney wrote:

Netflix has been behaving itself

Apparently this wasn't true and Netflix stopped working at some point over the Christmas holidays, but no-one thought to tell me (and I haven't actually used it for a while myself). I'm going to poke Netflix again and see if they have any new thoughts but I'm inclined to give up and just cancel my subscription at this point...

0 Likes

Message 10 of 46

Morning,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 46

Hi Dave - just FYI, after resetting the Netflix password and logging out all PCs, (and then doing a 30min router reset to ensure I get a fresh IP address) - Netflix has been behaving itself on the other devices (Humax STB, Roku stick, Xbox). Over the Christmas holidays I've not used my work VPN at all ( 😄 ) so if that _was_ somehow causing the problem then we should find out soon as I'm back at work tomorrow.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 46

Hi @dj23456

Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 46

You'll need to start your own thread, @dj23456, for staff to help you with this.

Please return to the message board and click on start a topic. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

dj23456
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 46

Hi,  Have you managed to resolve this?  I've exactly the same problem across all devices Phones, PC's and Smart TV's when connected to Talktalk.  It works fine via a mobile.   Thanks  Dave

0 Likes

dj23456
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 46

Have you managed to find a fix for this?  I've exactly the same problems across all devices when connected to Talktalk.  Fine via mobile or other networks.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 46

Hi, 

could you try signing out of all netflix apps across  all devices, then sign in on one of the devices you are using to watch and see if it reoccurs.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 17 of 46

Your IP address changed, so if this was IP related this would have resolved when the IP changed.

When my public TalkTalk IP address changes, it does seem to rectify the problem for a little while with Netflix, but it always kicks in again after a short time (varying between 1-5 days). I haven't been able to identify any specific action on our side that might correlate with the problem reoccurring.

You mention you use a VPN for work, is this only installed on the PC, no other devices, and is the PC a wired connection ?

The VPN Client (Checkpoint Endpoint Security VPN E85.20) is installed on one wired desktop PC and one laptop which uses WiFi. I don't actually use Netflix on either of these machines - its mainly used on a Humax Youview STB, Xbox One and Roku (all using their native apps) with some use from another Windows PC, wired connection (using the Windows store app).

0 Likes

Message 18 of 46

Hi

Your IP address changed, so if this was IP related this would have resolved when the IP changed.

You mention you use a VPN for work, is this only installed on the PC, no other devices, and is the PC a wired connection ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 46

Just to be clear, switching to mobile data (via my phone as a WiFi hotspot) and pressing F5 resolves the issue, switching back to TalkTalk WiFi and pressing F5 again the problem returns.

All wired and wireless devices are affected (although I can't try the above repro on the wired devices).

0 Likes

Message 20 of 46

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. It's strange that it starts working again after switching to data and then back again and then pressing F5. Are any of the devices connected wired?

Thanks