cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No internet to unmanaged switch

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 45 of 45

Hi,

I have ran an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on my TalkTalk Hub router (Fibre 150) to an unmanaged switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24 Port Gigabit switch). Initially, the first few days I have all my wired connection connected, TVs, CCTV, laptops etc (my house has CAT6 wired throughout).  There is successful connection to the switch and then a few days later my devices has no internet.  I currently now have a 10 meter cable running across the floor directly to the CCTV unit and one to my work laptop, as I work from home and require a wired connection. 

I have swapped the 24 port switch with a new TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch (TL-SG108) and I get the same issue a few days later.

This setup has worked previously when I was on a normal ADSL broadband (BT and Virgin).

They are both unmanaged switches which are plug and play.

The switches only work again after I have done a factory reset on the router. Any ideas what I can do? Maybe the settings for the router need tweaking or firmware update, which I can't do manually?

Thanks in advance 🙂  

s.rahman
0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Message 21 of 45

Hi

You can connect the router via the wan port to the switch to give wifi conectivity 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 45

Hi Karl,

This will cause some issues, as I have IoT equipment that require WiFi, i.e Ring doorbell and chime, my daughters tablet, light switch etc.

I am happy to run a direct cable from the router to my CCTV box as well as my work laptop, as I require wired connectivity due to secure work.

Regards,

Shajna

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 23 of 45

Hi

Ok, while waiting for the TalkTalk router, can you continue using that setup for a couple of days and see if there are any issues / drops etc.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 24 of 45

Hi Karl, 

I can confirm that I have wired connectivity from the unmanaged switch, when connected directly to the ONY box.

Again, I have tried both my unmanaged switches ( 8 ports and 24 ports).

Thank you.

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 25 of 45

Thanks, this will mean you are without wifi if you rely on that, but is a good way to test and see if the router is causing the drop etc.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 26 of 45

Hi Karl,

I already received all those emails back in May.  

My apologies for misunderstanding, I will connect the switch to the ONY box now.

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 27 of 45

Hi

There may have been a delay with the emails, similar issue happened to me with account mails.

Are you able to connect the switch directly to the ONY box on the wall, so bypassing the TalkTalk router altogether, so the ethernet cable that currently goes to the WAN port on the TalkTalk router should now go directly to the switch.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 28 of 45

Karl, 

I have literally just received this...

Hi Shajna,
Great news! We've made all the changes you requested to your Future Fibre package. We've included a quick rundown of everything you need to know below.

Here are all the important bits...
Account number:
New package:
Fibre 150 Data Only
New package start date:
16 August 2022
The monthly price of broadband will rise in April each year by the rate of inflation plus 3.7%. New contracts from 1st Feb 2022 will receive this rise from April 2023. Please visit talktalk.co.uk/legal for more information.

Can you please explain what is happening?

s.rahman
0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 45

Hi Karl,

Yes, I have directly connected a cat6 cable from the router into the switch, and the issue still exists.

Could we try another firmware update please? seemed to have worked last time.

Also I have a couple of emails yesterday evening, that my Future Fibre is live?

Not sure why I received this, as I joined in May.

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 30 of 45

Hi

Quick question, have you tried connecting the switch directly to the ONT and does this have / cause any issues ?

Meanwhile, I want to send out a new router so this can be ruled out.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 45

Good morning, I hope you are well.  

Please can you help? I have the same issue again.  during the past 3 and a half weeks the wired internet has worked as it should, until last night.  I now have the same problem again. Any devices connected to my unmanaged switch has stopped working.  

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 32 of 45

No problem, I'll keep my fingers crossed 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 45

Thank you, hoping this may resolve the issue.  

Regards,

Shajna

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 34 of 45

OK, I've started the firmware update, it should complete within 15 minutes, please don't reboot your router?

Chris

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 45

Chris, yes please.

Regards,

Shajna

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 36 of 45

Are you OK for me to do the upgrade now, it can take about 15 minutes?

Chris

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 45

Chris, Yes please. that would be great.  I have backed up the config, but I believe I won't be able to back up the software version, just in case we need to roll back. Thank you.

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 38 of 45

OK thanks. There is a more recent firmware version available, would you like to give it a try?

Chris

0 Likes

srahman76
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 45

Hi Chris, private note has been updated.  Thank you.

s.rahman
0 Likes

Message 40 of 45

Could you add the serial number of the router to the private notes section of your  community profile and I'll check the firmware version

Chris

0 Likes