cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Paying to monitor a faulty router

johnbirt
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

My internet connection which is normally rock solid with an occasional need to reboot was down for 14 hours yesterday 17/05/2022. After lengthy testing of a known working line and after multiple reboots and factory reset of the router and alleged tweaking of connections at the TalkTalk end I was eventually restored to internet. The very helpful support technician suggested that the router was faulty and would speak to a supervisor about it. The result was that it was thought un-necessary (by TalkTalk) to replace a clearly faulty router and I would have to buy one! Checking the price it is now £130. 

The advice proffered was to "monitor" the router.

To recap. The router was not providing an internet connection for 14 hours + and needed lengthy phone calls and much resetting and tweaking to get it to provide the service I was paying for but not getting. That seems to suggest faulty or unreliable at the least. Also speed doesn't meet the claimed base line by some distance.

I am not happy at being fobbed off in that way. I am paying for equipment which ought to work when I need it, be reliable and not have to go through lengthy calls to get it to work. I was not asked whether I was "vulnerable" and needed a guaranteed connection for medical reasons which was a much vaunted claim by TalkTalk at the height of the pandemic. Apparently we are not vulnerable any longer.

The simplest resolution clearly is to move providers and I will get new equipment and an emergency hub which alternative providers such as BT provide and also cheaper at least initially.

Terminating my contract with TalkTalk would seem to be the best and really only course of action as there is no opportunity to write to anyone with any authority at TalkTalk as far as I can see as only phone numbers are provided and I have had enough of those to no purpose.

To finish on a fair note the support person was excellent. The supervisor wasn't.

JBirt
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

Thank you for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Router replacement received and all devices needing Wi-Fi now ok. One LG TV cannot connect when it did before but it has a network cable connection. At least internet is available reliably everywhere. The rogue TV needs further investigation.

Many thanks for speedy help and intervention.

JBirt
0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 16

Thank you!😀👍

JBirt
0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi

Router ordered for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

I posted in reply to offer of replacement router "Yes please". That was done and submitted on my iPhone which now has connection issues so looks like never sent. This is being sent on imac connected via cable on LAN.

I spent a lengthy time getting 2 TVs connected via Wifi last night requiring multiple goes at accurately entering Wifi password with repeated failures it was eventually successful and was able to connect. This morning  Tvs , iPhone and house security all will not connect via Wifi.

So yes please I would like a replacement. Thank You.

JBirt
0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hello,

Ok, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Yes. Doesn’t really help as Wi-Fi connection for IPhone, 2 TVs and house security all have issues connecting whereas 48 hours ago everything was rock solid. No changes have been made.

JBirt
0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi johnbirt

Have you had a look at the post @KeithFrench has linked to?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 16

Hi @johnbirt 

Please see my sticky on this subject:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Weak-Security-Warning-on-Applie-IOS-and-Windows-10-or-11/m... 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

I posted that my iPhone 13 now reports 'weak security' and now won't connect to internet.

Looks as though support tech changed Wifi settings and this allows access via my MacBook but not by phone and my security system is inaccessible as a result.

I did post a more detailed version of this but  I can't see that post which was replying to your enquiry re connection now working or not?

JBirt
0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi johnbirt,

Thanks for updating your profile. How is your service at the moment, does everything seem to be back to normal?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Profile updated. Thanks for your attention.

JBirt
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

If the TalkTalk support on here agrees that your router is faulty, they will replace it free of charge.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes