cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Repeated disconnections for months despite engineer

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 67 of 67

Our internet has been randomly dropping it's connection for the last few months, despite being stable for over 20 years, from dial up, to ADSL, to fibre.

We have suffered the torture of online chat who sent an engineer out.

The engineer came and internet was fine, although we explained that the connection was failing to the openreach modem, before the talk talk router.

He left and we were charged for the visit, stating it was a home network issue.

This we will be legally disputing.

This is despite every device being able to connect to the router but not to the internet as the openreach was not connected to internet or DSL, no lights on either.

We have two essential homeworkers struggling with possible loss of jobs due to this issue which has been explained is a outside network issue.

As stated this is causing considerable lost earnings and fear of job loss

We are stuck and apart from paying for legal help do not know what to do. 

Online since 28800
0 Likes
66 REPLIES 66

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 67

When it's resolved, it may be worth mentioning the frequency of the disconnections in the billing section again, @Marshall117.

Any compensation would be entirely discretionary. Despite the utter frustrations of disconnections....

On domestic lines we can't be compensated for any consequential losses connected with work. 

Automatic compensation is set up only for complete loss of service:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

Check the Ts&Cs, linked at the foot of the page for the small print of Talktalk's liability. Residential contracts have not been updated to reflect the consequences of increasing numbers of people being actively encouraged to work from home. 

Talktalk for business might be a better option for your household in the longer term.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 67

Engineer came and replaced modem and changed to distant connection in big by road.

We have had 5hrs stable connection, then it's gone down again, been an hour now.

Engineer did say it may be because we still on copper and it may be worth upgrading to full fibre.

Have looked on my upgrades and this option is not available.

If we can't upgrade we will have to try and claim for lack of services over the last 4 months.

Only positive thing is how helpful this community board has been.

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 23 of 67

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 24 of 67

Thanks Karl

You are a lifesaver

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 25 of 67

Hi

Engineer booked for Tomorrow Tuesday 12th AM (8-1).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 26 of 67

I am aware that if the engineer comes and there is no fault we will be charged, something both online chat and the very rude manager at the call centre refused to either acknowledge or understand.

If it was not for this online forum and its helpful and prompt assistance we would be well and truly shafted.

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 67

We really need the next available appointment. ASAP

Thanks you for your help as both online chat and telephone support have been both infuriating and a total waste of time

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 28 of 67

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Do you have any specific dates that you're available or shall we book the next available appointment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 29 of 67

I have posted this here as we have had over 70 disconnects in just over 24hrs.

I have a log of the disconnections have been on online chat for best part 3 hrs, been speaking with a rather rude  manager in an Indian call centre who has promised to call back this evening but has not.

This issue has been going on for over 3 months now affecting 2 homeworkers and threatening there jobs.all we want is it fixed.

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 30 of 67

Another couple of days later and we are even worse than before.

Internet been unusable due to over 50 outages in less then 24 hrs 

Ranging from a few minutes to an hour.

Desperately need another openreach engineer, as previous engineer tested and found it to bean external network issue, but was not 100% sure what part external network was causing problems.

I accept there may be charges

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 31 of 67

Hi Marshall117

I can see that Openreach have now closed this fault as resolved -  Fibre Cabinet Fibre cabinet including Port Swap

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 32 of 67

Hi Marshall117

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the Openreach engineer visit for tomorrow 07/07 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 67

I accept there may be potential charges, and we are available all day Wednesday to Friday.

Please ensure it is an openreach engineer and not a contractor. 

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 34 of 67

Thanks for answering the security questions. Could you just confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and could you let us know when you can be available for the engineer visit and we'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 35 of 67

Hi Marshall117,

Thanks for answering the security questions, I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 67

Hi Marshall117

This will be an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can arrange this visit.

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 37 of 67

Yes I would like an openreach engineer, not a contractor to visit.

We previously had a contractor sent out who did no hardware checks despite being told it was a hardware issue, who then wrongfully charged us.

The next visit by an openreach engineer partially fixed the issue by replace corroded  external openreach hardware

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 38 of 67

Hi Marshall117

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear. Would you like me to raise this to Openreach? This will require an engineer visit to the property as the line test is clear.

Thanks

0 Likes

Marshall117
Team Player
Private Message
Message 39 of 67

Well it's been a week since the openreach engineer called and replaced to corroded connections that were part of the external network.

This has greatly improved our internet dropouts, but it has not stopped them altogether.

We are s getting random dropouts throughout the day and night.

Even whilst the internet is not being used at 3am of a morning.

Sometimes it's up to 8times a day, other times it can go nearly 24hrs.

The openreach engineer checked our home internal network and it was fine, so we still have an external issue on the openreach network that is causing mayor issues working from home.

Online since 28800
0 Likes

Message 40 of 67

Hi Marshall117,

Thanks for answering the security questions but I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information

Chris

0 Likes