cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router needing to be reset daily/every other day

natalie-1
Participant
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Hi, usually my internet connection is very stable and fast. I hardly ever have any complaints. Never have to do any kind of reset.

However, for just over a week I'm finding my internet will cut out once every day or so. I have the Talk Talk router with a single LED light. The red light will come on the router, I turn it off and on again and problem solved for another day or so. So far today it has been stable, yesterday it cut out around 10am and Monday it cut out around 4pm. I think it remained up all weekend from memory. Can't remember all the times it cut out last week but was pretty much on a daily basis.

Absolutely nothing has changed in my set up, no new devices connected either. I was using the online chat support Monday and what I couldn't get through to the person I was talking to that it is not a single device having an issue but it is my internet as a whole cutting out. They decided it was my Wifi that was the issue started trying to sell me a WiFi extender for £85 and give me tips on how to improve the WiFi when I know for a fact that isn't the case, also I am sat right next to my router so WiFi signal is not an issue! This is not the first time I have found the online chat useless and failed to understand my problem.

All line tests came back normal too.

My router is probably getting on for a few years old now. However I saw on another post someone having the same issue a replacement router didn't resolve. Beginning to wonder if I just need to wait for it to resolve itself. VX fibre are currently laying new cables nearby but I wouldn't have thought that would upset any existing cabling.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. It is quite annoying when it cuts out when I am working from home.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi natalie-1

Thanks for your reply.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 8

Yes lets try that. This morning it cut out as soon as I logged on to work. This time the amber light was flashing fast, last night it was flashing very slowly.

Thank you Debbie.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi natalie-1

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

I think we should send a replacement for testing to see how the connection compares. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Phone line is fine and router is currently and always is plugged into the master socket.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

If you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

Staff here will be able to run further tests on your connection and your router, they will hopefully be able to respond to this topic tomorrow.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

I thought it was solid Amber and only came back if I was to do a power cycle.

However this evening it went down at 19:45, light actually appeared to be off  then flashed Amber briefly, then was off for a while, flashed Amber briefly again and so on. Turning it off and on again didn't fix this time, I had to fully unplug it and then start it all up again.

Good to know the difference between a flashing and solid Amber light 👍.

And I full well knew it was nothing to do with WiFi, think I said twice on the online chat help the Amber light comes on router when it happens yet they still insisted it was a WiFi problem. It's like the time I had problems recording TV, the online chat got me to record a few seconds of the test channel which worked and they came back with great problem fixed then. No... it is not! Turned out it wasn't just me or Talk Talk and was a large scale problem affecting a lot of people which resolved itself in time. Through this community is definitely the better way to get help, my problems have always been answered here and see if others are facing the same issue.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi @natalie-1,

When the issue happens and the amber light comes on, is the light solid or flashing. If it is flashing that means the router has lost its physical connection to the internet, if it is solid it means the router is physically connected ok, but it is not able to log into the TalkTalk network.

If you just leave the router when the problem happens, does it ever reconnect by itself, or do you have to power cycle it to get it to reconnect.

Either way, it has nothing to do with your Wi-Fi, so yes, that chat advice probably wasn't very good !.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes