cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

What is my Fibre 65 guaranteed Upload Speed?

MikeSTech
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Please can anybody help me establish what the Fibre 65 guaranteed upload speed from my router is supposed to be?  

My router is the TalkTalk-branded D-Link-DSL-3782.

When I perform the TalkTalk broadband speed test the results state that the guaranteed download speed to my router is 40 Mbps, which is very close to what I am achieving (39Mbps), however they do not state what the guaranteed upload speed from my router is ... I am only achieving between 5 & 7 Mbps upload with a direct Ethernet connection - shouldn't it be faster than that?

Where does TalkTalk officially state these figures for the customer?  Obviously it varies depending how far you are from the exchange and the FTTC cabinet.

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

@MikeSTech ,

On that site, it looks to me like "Standard" broadband refers to traditional all copper ADSL and "Superfast Fibre" broadband refer to FTTC services of which TalkTalk's Fibre65 package is indeed an example.

It is worth bearing in mind that these are just all rough estimates. Don't expect to get near to the maximum predictions.

For example, that site quotes me an estimated speed of 35-55Mbps down and 5-8Mbps up. My actual sync speeds with the TalkTalk router are about 35Mbps down and 5Mbps up, right at the bottom of that range.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Thanks AllyM,

That's really helpful and just what I was looking for.

I have now also found the following OpenReach post code checker for Fibre availability and giving both download and upload speed range  values for a particular street address in a more user-friendly format, have a look here:  www.openreach.com/broadband-network/fibre-availaility  (their typo, not mine!).

I think the OpenReach "SuperFast Fibre Broadband" product is the same one that TT call "Fibre 65" but I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

@MikeSTech ,

You can try searching by your address here:  BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

(FTTC services use VDSL technology)

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

The predicted speed does vary depending mainly on the length and quality of the line from the street cabinet to your home. You should have been given the predicted range and guaranteed minimum when you signed up to the service but if you still need it just let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

(Yes your service is FTTC)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Thanks both Gliwmaeden2 and Chris - that's very useful to know.

Chris, please could you tell me how to access Openreach's predicted speed range information for my (or presumably any) location - I guess many other TalkTalk broadband customers would find that useful too.

Am I right in understanding that Openreach's name for TalkTalk's "Fibre 65 Broadband" which is what I have, is "Superfast Fibre Broadband" i.e. FTTC?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi MikeSTech,

As Gliwmaeden2 has said, Openreach don't guarantee upstream speeds but you current speed appears to be within the predicted range

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Upload speeds just don't have a GUARANTEED minimum, @MikeSTech.

Only download speeds have a minimum contracted guaranteed speed for your particular line. 

Staff can help investigate. They're on here during the day, Monday to Friday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.