cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

WiFi Hub 2 dropping devices - SG4K100136

TyGold
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Looking for some guidance here, I’ve got a TalkTalk Hub 2 (version SG4K100136 - Sagemcom - FAST 5464 -1 T4 ) and have only noticed recently, due to the addition of some google cameras, that is consistently drops devices at random times - very annoying..

I’ve reset it, changed channels, updated DNS, IP address almost everything that has kindly been raised here before, it seems an inherent issue with this device.

Anyone else with similar issues any other recommendations?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi 

I've just sent you a PM.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Nope, new ones, Google Nest Cameras, TP Link Wifi extender, some on 2.4 some on 5GHz.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi

Is this to multiple devies ?

What type of devices are these, are any older devices just using 2.4Ghz etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi Karl, I have tracked this over the last two days and unfortunately there is no change, the router consistently (at random times) drops devices. Have others raised this previously on this model, any other suggestions? 

Many thanks

Ty

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Thanks, I will see how it goes today. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi

It was on by default, and I've just turned it off.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Many thanks Karl - Do you know if was only recently turned or if it has always been on as a default? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi TyGold

I've turned off optimisation for you. See if this helps going forward.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 13

You might struggle to get the phone or live chat teams to disable Wi-Fi Optimisation for you, those team members often don't seem to be aware of that functionality. However the TalkTalk support team here on the community are fully aware of it, so it might just be easier to post back here in this thread to ask the support team to switch Wi-Fi Optimisation off for you, they should then be able to do that when they return on Tuesday. As you say, that might not be the issue, but is certainly worth a try if the problem you have is only affecting wireless devices, and if you have already picked what look like good channels (you can check how good the channels are with an App like the one I linked to in my first reply).

Note that if you ever factory reset the router, or if the router installs new firmware, Wi-Fi Optimisation tends to get switched back on automatically. But the team here can then switch it back off for you if you ask them to.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi Skynet_TX - Thanks for the info, very kind of you.

Yep, it’s fibre 65, the main connection seems to be stable and fine, always a good solid white light. There are not too many WiFi spots so I’d hope interference is ruled out. 

The optimiser might definitely be the issue. I’ll call to get it disabled, although the new channels I set seem to have remained - so this might not be the case, but best to check.

Thanks again

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi @TyGold,

What package do you have (e.g. something like Fibre 65 down your phone line, or a full fibre service).

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

If you have not seen what the LED on the router does, then if you can log into the router you can check the 'Current Connection Time' on the router homepage, this will show you how long it is since the last time the router reconnected to the internet.

If the router is remaining connected to the internet ok, and it is just wireless devices losing connection with the router, then the first thing to check is your Wi-Fi channels, but you say you have already done that (hopefully using some sort of App to determine what the best channels are to switch to ?).

Be aware that the Sagemcom router has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the Support Team to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to. If your Wi-Fi environment is quite busy this can sometimes cause the Wi-Fi optimisation feature to switch between channels quite a lot, this in itself can sometimes upset devices and cause them to briefly drop connection, so getting Wi-Fi Optimisation disabled can also help with that scenario too.

The support team here will be back on Tuesday, and will be able to help further.

0 Likes