cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi Problems

Nobag
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 25

Hi, I am having problems with the 2.4 Wi-Fi constantly dropping off, the 5g Wi-Fi is rock solid.

I have some Wi-Fi plugs and sensors that are 2.4 only, so this is causing connection problems.

I have tried different channels and different wireless protocols with no luck. are there any router settings that will make the 2.4 Wi-Fi stable. The router is a DG8041W TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
Version v1.05t .

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Hi

I'll get a returns bag out to you.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Hello, No, there was no returns bag in the box, just the router, power supply and some cables.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi Nobag

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Did you receive a router returns bag?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Thank you.

I have received the new router and it seems to have sorted the problem.

What should i do with the old router, take it to my local recycling centre?

Thanks again

Message 5 of 25

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Hi Nobag,

Apologies, I think that Michelle was waiting for you to confirm that you would like us to send the router. I'll order one now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hello again, I was wondering when i should expect delivery of the replacement router.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 25

hat was going to be my next suggestion!

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 10 of 25

Morning,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 11 of 25

Thanks

I have moved the router to a spot on its own and its still the same unfortunately.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Morning,

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Okay thanks for your help, I will try moving the router to a new location to see if that helps.

Thanks again

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 25

There is still no WiFi interference at all, something else is causing the signal to drop out. Perhaps it is the location of your router or the rooms where these devices are located.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Okay Thanks I have added some more.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 25

Your network is now dropping out, but without seeing the 2.4GHz channels view, I will not be able to see why.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Thanks

I have done some more screenshots today, I had to zip them again. please find attached.

Thanks again

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 25

The WiFi to your phone did not drop out during that time, you will probably need to look at your devices that did drop out unless they are located near to any electrical equipment that might cause electrical (as opposed to Wi-Fi) interference.

Keith

Message 19 of 25

Hello

The Router is currently set to the recommended 802.11/b/g/n, I have tried b, g and n separately and the Wi-Fi still keeps dropping out then back in.

Yes the phone was in the same room as the router when i used the analyser and the 5 Ghz was stable and the 2.4 Ghz dropped out and in.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 25

From your screenshots, there is nothing wrong with your WiFi reception in the 2.4GHz band. In fact, I have never seen such an uncluttered 2.4GHz band, just your SSID. I don't suppose you have set it not to display any other networks, have you? If it is the analyser I think it is, that would not be possible anyway.

I assume that your phone was close to these devices that are unstable when you got the screenshots and that they dropped out during this period?

You said that you have been trying different WiFi protocols, what is the network running currently?

Keith

0 Likes