cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

iPhone will not connect to new router

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

Having received a new router due to my broadband dropping out I have now discovered my Samsung iPhone will not connect to Talk Talk wi-fi, what happens is the iPhone connects and then drops out after around 1 to 2 minutes, it is then impossible to re-connect without rebooting my iPhone as the wi-fi on switch continually reverts back to off.

I have rebooted the router and the iPhone but no luck, I now have to resort to using data at home, when I visit other locations I can connect to wi-fi without any difficulty. 

In respect of my broadband dropping out I regret to inform that it is still happening despite the new router, it seems to be OK for a day or so and then unexpectedly it goes off and comes back on again for circa 15/30 seconds, it can happen two or three times in a short space of time.

I have spoken to a nearby resident who is having the same issue, is this a local Telephone Exchange issue ??

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi @Observer1959 

That's great 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please post back here and let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 21

Debbie

I am pleased to say that my broadband is now stable, since Openreach replaced the old 30 year old cable there have been no more drop outs. The old cable was split open and the copper wires exposed in two locations.

I will continue to monitor the situation.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Message 3 of 21

Hi @Observer1959 

How are you getting on, how's the connection been?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi Observer1959

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

I will check in again with you on Friday to see how the connection has been during the week.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 21

Debbie

The Openreach engineer arrived around 10am and left the premises around 2pm, the fault was on the external cable as I suspected, it had perished possibly in two locations,  the fault was discovered early but as the line was connected to a shared electric pole the engineer had to wait for a companion to assist, it was quite a large job also.

A new cable was run into my property and a new telephone socket fitted, I have checked the speed and it is showing around 45 Mb/s  which is fine. 

I have to say the engineer (Ross) was exceptional and explained in precise detail the problem and how it needed to be fixed.

I will watch the broadband over the next few days/weeks but with a new router, new phone socket, new internal cables, new exterior cables and only a laptop using the BB hopefully the matter is resolved - time will tell !!

Message 6 of 21

Hi @Observer1959 

How are you getting on following the engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Observer1959

We've arranged the engineer visit for 17/06 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 21

Michelle

Thank you for your reply, I can confirm I will be available Monday 17th / Tuesday 18th / Friday 21st at either time, I will also be available this Saturday 15th (tomorrow) for a morning call (8-1)

Being convinced the fault is due to external issues I am happy to accept the remote possibility of a modest time related charge however please also  bear in mind the inconvenience this issue has caused me.

I await to hear from you.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Good afternoon,

Thanks for confirming. As the dropping connection is still happening at the test socket with 2 different routers and the line test is currently detecting a potential fault close to the property, the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please can you confirm that you accept possible time related engineer charges and also provide a few days availability AM (8-1) or PM (1-6) and we'll arrange this visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 21

Hi Debbie 

Thank you for your reply, I can confirm, without any doubt, the fault (broadband drop out) occurs with the new router plugged into the test socket, I have had the router plugged into the test socket since our initial communication, there are no other devices using broadband other than a laptop, the laptop is in the same room as the router. 

I reiterate, the wiring to my property is over 30 years old as is the telephone socket I connect too, the outside wires are exposed to sunlight, the property next door had their external cables replaced around 5 years ago by BT, as the fault occurs with the the router connected to the test socket it has to be an external fault. 

Look forward to hearing back from you with a plan of action.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi Observer1959

I'm really sorry that the fault is still ongoing.

The line test is clear. If the connection is still dropping with the router at the test socket (wired) then we will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 21

Debbie

I have had 6 broadband drop outs this afternoon between 2.15pm and 3.15pm and it is still happening  (Thursday 13th June) the fault has clearly not been resolved, the router is new, the internal wiring is new, the ADSL filter is new, the broadband disconnects and then reconnects shortly after.

This instability has been going on now for 3 weeks and is very annoying, prior to this event I have had no problems for many years, there are periods where the broadband is stable and then the fault returns, it can happen at any time of the day or evening.

As mentioned in previous communication I fully believe the fault to be external and re-iterate the wires coming into my property are 30+ years old, I am not sure what Openreach did to suggest the fault has been resolved however it clearly is still ongoing.

Please advise the way forward.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi @Observer1959 

Thank you. I will check in again with you on Monday to see how the connection has been.

Debbie

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 21

Debbie

Thank you for your update, I did not have a drop out last evening, I will monitor the situation over the next week and see how things go, if I get any issues I will advise.

I also noticed that my mobile phone now connects to Talk Talk broadband without dropping out as it did previously so some progress is evident. 

Message 15 of 21

Hi Observer1959

Openreach have now closed the fault as resolved (yesterday)

Are you still experiencing the same fault? Was the connection dropping last night?

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 21

Debbie

I have still not heard from Openreach since their early morning SMS yesterday (10th June), can you advise what is going on, for example how long do Openreach take to deal with a fault, I thought faults/connection issues were deemed a priority. Please advise.

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 21

Debbie

I received a text message from Openreach at 9.29am today saying an engineer will be allocated to investigate my fault. I have not heard anything since.

More evidence suggesting it is the outside line that is the problem was when we had heavy rain this PM I lost Broadband connection periodically.  A 30+ year outside line into the property surely needs replacing IMO, if it was damaged it would account for  the instability issues more-so as I have a new router and new internal cables. 

Hopefully I will hear soon from Openreach what the plan of action is. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi Observer1959

Thanks for your reply.

I've passed this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer and I will post back here as soon as I have further information.

Debbie

0 Likes

Observer1959
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 21

Yes it is and I have previously carried out all the recommended tests.

The cable from the nearest lamp post to my home is over 30 years old and I have previously had screeching on my landline periodically, I am not sure if this may be  the issue?

I connected the new router with the new cables supplied and the ADSL filter is also new. 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi Observer1959

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests have detected a potential fault. Can I just check, is the router connected at the test socket at the moment?

0 Likes