cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email access been restricted to webmail

CarlSteSpen
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

Hi,
I received an email on Monday telling me that from Tuesday, I would no longer be able to access  my email because I am using unencrypted settings . Apparently I had already been advised of this recently which is news to me!

My other 4 email addresses are still working fine, just typically the one I use the most, has been restricted to webmail from today!
As far as I know all my settings are correct and up to date, but with 4 devices, I guess one might be wrong! Is it because I'm using the pipex server? Or I think, one device is still using POP.

Can anyone help me get access back please?

Thank you, Carl. 

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

You're very welcome.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 22

Thank you Ady, it is working again. 

Many thanks to you and Gondola for all you help. Much appreciated.

Carl. 

Message 3 of 22

Hi Carl, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 22

Hi Ady, 

Did you get chance to revisit this now that we have ascertained which email address has the issue?

Thanks, 

Carl. 

Message 5 of 22

Perfect.  I believe Ady should be able to look up the same information re linked master / alias addresses as was sent out to pipex mail users in the email notification sent when the pipex mailboxes were migrated to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

Message 6 of 22

Hi Gondola, 

Yes the master email is in my notes.

Could Ady confirm how many aliases I have, I think there is only 2?

Thanks, 

Carl. 

Message 7 of 22

No, unfortunately it's not possible for the user to do anything like editing master/alias addresses other than delete the mailbox to which both are linked.

I'll post a note to Ady to confirm you've put the 'restricted' master pipex address in to your Private notes or I hope you have but let me know if this is just the alias and Ady will need to look up the master address.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi Gondola, 

Of course you are correct! 
I always assumed that my master email and main email address were connected, but not so.
I have put the email address in question in my private notes.  

Is it still possible to view / edit aliases anywhere (if I ever wanted to)?

Thank you, 

Carl. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi CarlSteSpen 

My take on what you've just said is that the 'alias' you created is not linked to the address in your Community profile.

You can sign in to the 'alias' via webmail using a different password. Here's the clue because a master pipex mailbox address will use the exact same password as aliases linked to that master pipex address. So, that tells me the mailbox for your 'restricted' alias has a different master pipex email address.

When the pipex master mailboxes were migrated to the TalkTalk Mail platform all users were notified of the move and the linked alias addresses linked to that master mailbox address.  If you still have that notification you can identify the master address for your 'restricted' alias address.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Ady, 

The email address listed in my profile has always been ok, it is the alias that I created from it that will not authenticate. I cannot even find any record of any alias's in my account, but it still exists because I can log into it through webmail using a different password. 

Carl. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi CarlSteSpen, the email address in your profile has full access. There are no limitations.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 12 of 22

It should have been done today but I can see this topic hasn't been picked up for action although I escalated a request on 24th that ought to have been picked up on 25th. I'll push another reminder in but I know Ady is already busy trying to get all outstanding requests actioned asap.

Message 13 of 22

Hi Gondola, 

Do you know how long it usually takes for email access to be restored? 
It is still not authenticating..

Thanks, Carl. 

Message 14 of 22

Yes, I found that out, and hence I am keeping it as POP for now. Thunderbird won't save the new IMAP account until it authenticates the password. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Excellent.

IMAP accounts are preferred for their flexibility and use with multiple devices. Although TalkTalk would like to cease support for POP3 it does have certain benefits and a lot of users.  You know it's not possible to change a POP3 account to an IMAP account? You have to set up an IMAP account from scratch.

Message 16 of 22

Again thank you, Gondola.

Thunderbird is now up to date and settings as per what you have outlined. I have kept them as POP for the time being, but will change to IMAP once everything is working. I assume there are plans to eventually phase out POP?

I have removed the accounts from the android devices until access is restored. 

Thanks, Carl. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Thunderbird 102.8 is supported on Windows 7 so I'd get that updated and then enter the TalkTalk secure settings for the POP account as below.

Thunderbird will not authenticate the password for secure settings until TalkTalk restore full access for your mailbox. The continued use of insecure and out of date legacy settings in email software / email apps has resulted in your mailbox being restricted to webmail only access. What was it you found on the tablet?

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox that does have IMAP / POP3 access, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  POP3 secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

After you've changed the settings and after TalkTalk have restored access, that I've requested for you, have another go.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

0 Likes

CarlSteSpen
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 22

Thanks Gondola, 

I have narrowed the insecurity issue down to the tablet. I was mistaken with the Thunderbird version, it was only v 45.8.0 ! (Never auto updated) Also on this, the POP port is set to  110. I assume the port is the issue more than the software version though?

So, once I have corrected this, and changed all the servers from pipex to talktalk, is it possible to somehow get the restriction lifted?

Thanks, 

Carl.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

OK, first thing is that despite Windows 7 now being a deprecated OS, all devices and email softwares are capable of secure mail to the TLS 1.2 encryption standard required as a minimum for TalkTalk Mail.

As with any changes to POP3 accounts that may result in issues you should make sure that any downloaded emails that you wish to keep and that are not on the mail server are safely saved.

But you should change the server host names away from pop.dsl.pipex.com to mail.talktalk.net and from smtp.pipex.com to smtp.talktalk.net. You would be asked to accept a new server certificate for secure mail and to enter the password again so that is saved.

Any POP3 account using incoming port 110 is insecure. Any IMAP account using incoming port 143 is insecure and any SMTP server using port 25 is insecure.

Does that help you identify which devices and softwares are in need of correcting?

Do you need guides for Thunderbird or TypeApp?

CarlSteSpen
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Hi Gondola, 
Thank you for the quick reply. 

I have filled in the personal details. 

All my other email accounts use pop.dsl.pipex.com without issue, I am reluctant to change them in case I lose access! I guess I shall have to bite the bullet. 
MY main pc is running on windows7 (!), email software is thunderbird V 102.0.3
2 android devices running version 12 - email software is TypeApp v 1.9.8.126
Windows tablet with windows 10, again using Thunderbird. 

0 Likes