Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Download Speeds Falling As Days Go By

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

My maximum download speed on Faster Fibre is 37 Mbps and I have the latest router. Usually, I get speeds near that but, as the weeks go by, speeds seem to fall. Yesterday evening, it was down to around a third of the maximum. I turned the router off for 15 minutes and the download speed was back to normal when I was reconnected. We're told to leave our routers on 24/7. Any thoughts folks?

Highlighted
Community Star

They recommend leaving it on most of the time,  but the occasional restart is one of the top tips for getting back to your speed.

Don't do it more than once a day, and you really shouldn't need to do it very frequently, so keep an eye on the speed tests going forward, @Lambert .

Gliwmaeden2
Please click "like" if this helped you!
Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I've done this a couple of times in the past out of frustration around midnight when traffic's light. It's as if there's a buffer on the router which needs to be cleared out in the way you'd clear out the history on your PC. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lambert

Apologies for the delay.

We do advise to leave the router switched on but the occasional reboot should be ok.

Would you like me to send a replacement router to see if the speed remains more consistent? (without the need to reboot)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

I think it's due to the sheer number of people trying to use the service at the same time. Speeds get back to near normal later at night. It's noticeable that there's been a marked increase in the number of posts on our local Facebook site since the lock down started. You kindly replaced the router a few months ago and I'm sure it's fine but thank you for the offer. I can live with the hassle under the current circumstances. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Lambert,

Ok, please let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks