Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre, new customer, continually worsening dl speed

10 REPLIES 10
Simdsl
Chatterbox

Hello, I recently joined TalkTalk and since the connection went live on the 2nd September, My download speeds have consistently dropped everyday by 3-5mbit.  It started at 80mbit (which my previous internet service remained at for years without any issues), and after allowing the full 14 days for the connection to settle/train, it's currently at 22.4mbit today.

These are the current connection stats:

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

Line 1
DownstreamUpstream
-4.30-4.40

Each day of the training period the router has reconnected overnight at a slightly lower speed than the day before, roughly every 24 hours.

It's a bit of a puzzle, since like I said the old provider gave a rock-solid 80mbps for years.  It's the same property, same phone lines etc.  The upstream speeds also don't seem affected at all.  Soon i'm going to have a better upload rate than download rate.

Some additional information and steps I've taken:

1. On the 2nd september when it would initially sync at 80mbit rates, the internet connection was very unstable, becoming unresponsive for short periods (30-60s).

2. On the 4th or 5th I swapped out the filter with the second one provided with the router (there were two in the box), in case that was causing the worsening speeds.

3. Around the 12th I had to reboot the router because the wired 1gbit ports became unresponsive and only wifi devices could connect.

4. This morning on the 16th once the training period had ended, I removed the faceplate from the master socket and connected the filter directly to the test socket.  This didn't seem to change any of the line stats compared to those posted above.

5. We don't really use the landline so I can't compare to previous performance, but I checked the phone line for noise this morning also.  There is a slight hiss on the landline dialtone and during phone calls, only heard on this end of the call, but not by the person you're speaking to.

So, any advice on next steps?  I've seen it suggested to disconnect the router for 30 mins to reset the session on the dslam, but since it's already been unplugged once today to connect to the test socket, I wasn't sure if doing that would just make it think the connection is still unstable.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Simdsl

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the line is in sync at 20mb.

Have you tested with a different router? The next step following this will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Simdsl
Chatterbox

Thanks for the response.  I do have my old provider's router that I will test with shortly.   I believe it's locked to their service, but it might still sync the dsl connection to the street cabinet at least.

Since it's very unlikely that my household line was coincidentally damaged the same day I switched providers, that suggests the problem is either end of the dsl connection.  I understand if the problem is in the street cabinet then I won't be charged for the engineer visit, but if the problem is the TalkTalk router, will I be liable for the Openreach engineer fee, or would TalkTalk cover that?

I'll post another reply this afternoon with the results from the old router.

Simdsl
Chatterbox

I just tried the old router, it can't negotiate a PPP connection due to a locked username, but it could make a DSL connection.  Here are the connection stats it gave, values are up/down:

Line Attenutation: 12.4dB

Data Rate: 20.00Mbps / 20.00Mbps

Maximum Data Rate: 22473 / 81872 

Noise Margin: 6.6dB / 26.8dB

Signal Attenuation: 7.6dB / 12.4dB

So it is also negotiating a 20Mbps down rate, like the TalkTalk router.  I had waited 40 minutes with nothing connected to the line, to hopefully reset the session, before plugging it in.  I've never had dsl problems before, but maybe the dslam in the street cabinet would only begin to raise the connection speed again incrementally.

Poking through the logs on this other router it seems like the line quality hasn't changed since august, here is today's connection, versus the day I changed to talktalk, versus one from prior to joining talktalk (today's shows as jan 01 since it can't reach an internet time server):

00:01:19, 01 Jan.

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=92485Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

11:04:56, 02 Sep.

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=93604Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

03:00:03, 19 Aug.

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=89021Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

I don't know the details of a provider changeover using the same wholesale connection (80Mbps/20Mbps FTTC), but if no work was done in the street cabinet when I switched to your service, it seems like the TalkTalk router could be the problem? 

If you could clarify about the openreach engineer callout charges and who would have to pay if the router is the problem, since it's technically on my premises, thanks.

OCE_Debbie

Hi Simdsl

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to rule out any possible router issues?

Thanks

Debbie

Simdsl
Chatterbox

I'd like to see if a replacement router makes any difference, yes, thanks. 

Currently I have the sagecom FAST5364 model from you.  As I understand it you also have a huawei DG8041W, so perhaps that different model/chipset would be best to send.

It might also prompt the DLM on the line to re-adjust if it sees a different model of router connected?  I assume you guys know whether any resets would need doing regarding the dynamic line management.

OCE_Debbie

Hi Simdsl

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered the Huawei WiFi Hub for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Simdsl
Chatterbox

Just a quick post to let you know the new router arrived, thanks for getting it out quickly.  It's all set up and currently syncing at 18/20Mbps down/up, which is where the sagecom model had left the line speed. 

Going to give it a few days to see if the sync rate changes at all with the new hardware.  I'll post back toward the end of the week with the result.

Here is the dsl info from it, it looks better in terms of maximum rate and the downstream output power, thought it may be useful for you to have:

DSL synchronization status:Up
Connection status:Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):20000
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):17999
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):23670
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):109272
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):6.8
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):25.4
Line standard:Vdsl2_ANNEX_B
Upstream line attenuation (dB):0.1
Downstream line attenuation (dB):3.1
Upstream output power (dBm):-5.0
Downstream output power (dBm):14.1
OCE_Debbie

Hi Simdsl

Thanks for keeping us updated. We usually advise to allow DLM at least 48hrs to monitor the connection and to start making changes to the line speed/profile.

Please let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Simdsl
Chatterbox

The new router seems to have done the trick.  It jumped up from 18Mbps to 72Mbps on wednesday morning, and then today the connection speed raised again to the full 80Mbps.  No connections issues at all now, so far as I can tell.

Bit of a shaky first month's service, but hopefully that's the end of the trouble with it.  Thanks for the prompt responses and being helpful with identifying the problem, avoided waiting on an engineer visit that would've found no line issues.

I'll bag up the faulty first router and send it back next week.  I do still have to replace the master socket faceplate so you will see a disconnect on the line sometime over the weekend.

Regarding the new DG8041W router, you might have an issue with the current router firmware:

When the DSL line speed changes, the WAN connection speed doesn't change with it automatically, as with most other routers.   So when the DLM adjusts the line, the speed change isn't reflected in terms of actual throughput (on any speedtest website for example).

My experience was that the WAN connection had to be reset manually to update the internet connection speed to the current DSL line rates (the WAN speed hadn't changed hours after DSL had resynced to much higher rates).  To reset the WAN connection you either have to reboot the router, which is only going to confuse the DLM, or go into the router's advanced web interface to the WAN configuration page, and toggle the WAN connection there.

From a customer support perspective, you may have situations where a customer's DSL line speeds have improved, but they still can't connect to the internet at those new DSL rates until they reset the router to refresh the WAN connection.  

OCE_Michelle

Hi Simdsl,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased. I'll also feed this back.

Thanks