Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faster Fibre with Speed Boost but on a 40/10 connection

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
Participant

I recently renewed my contract and signed up for faster fibre with speed boost, I have been with TalkTalk for about 15 years. Initially I did not notice any increase in speed and was only getting 20 mbps, I contacted support and they informed me that there was an issue with the line and eventually arranged for a BT open reach engineer to call. He called yesterday and identified an issue with the cabling corrected this and installed a new master socket. He informed me that I was on a 40/10 connection, which I understand as 40 mbps download and 10 up, and stated that I should be on an 80/20 connection. The status page of the router is showing 40/10 and I’m now getting 38 mbps down and 9.5 up. The website states speeds of up to 76 mbps for the faster fibre with speed boost, I appreciate that this is an up to but if what I am told is correct on my 40/10 connection I will never get speeds above 40 mbps. Do I need to change my connection to 80/20? If so how do I go about doing it?

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Zandak welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day. Sounds as though someone forgot to flip the switch.

What does your sync speed show? Check your sync speed 

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak

I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak

Could I also just check, how did you upgrade? Was this on the phone, MyAccount, an email offer?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Upgrade was done through my account, I was out of contract so renewed and opted for the faster broadband.

Fhlor
Highlighted
Participant

Sync speed is showing on the router as 40 mbps down, 10 mbps up. This was also confirmed by the BT engineer when he checked the line.

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak

Thanks for the Private Message.

I am currently looking into this further and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Just checked the router today and the sync speed has dropped, now showing a sync speed of 35 mbps down and 10 up. Just carried out a speed check and got 33 mbps. Is this now below the minimum guaranteed speed for our package?

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak,

We're still looking into this, we'll let you know when we receive an update 

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak

Our Network Team are currently investigating the issue with the fibre speed boost but in the meantime I've made some changes to help resolve this issue.

The speed boost should be active within the next 24hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

Thanks for that. Just as a matter of interest, not sure if it's related, but I've just gone back to playing Warcraft classic and I'm getting a lot of lag issues, to a point were sometimes it's unplayable. I'll post some trace routes later when I get home.

regards

Flor

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak,

Could I just confirm, did you experience the latency when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle

Wired

Regards Flor

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Zandak,

Do you experience the lag with any other games?

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Chris

I appreciate it does not help, but unfortunately I don't play any other online games. I will keep an eye on it and if it helps I could post a tracert.

Kind regards

Flor

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

OK thanks, yes a traceroute would be helpful

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

Just checked this morning and I have noticed a change in my sync speed, it is now 55.7 Mbps down and 20 up. Did some speed tests this morning whilst it is quiet and I am getting the following speeds (Used 3 different servers)

31.06 Mbps down 18.38 up

31.11 Mbps down 18.81 up

30.94 Mbps down 18.77 up

So although my sync speeds have improved my downloads haven't.

Kind regards

Flor 

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Flor

Please can you try a 30 minute power down of the router and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

Powered down the router for a few hours and I am now getting much better speeds, sync speed was 57.3 Download 20 Upload and actual download speeds of 52.6 Download and 18.7 upload and warcraft seems much better.

What I have noticed over the last few days is my sync speeds are dropping on the download side, initially 52.6 now 47.1, this has also reduced my actual download speed to about 44.

I will keep an eye on this over the next week.

Kind regards

Flor

Fhlor
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Flor

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 44mb.

I can see re connections on the line, is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie