cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Hub f/w update and VERY slow 2Mb speeds on Faster Fibre?

Community Team

Hi Sparxeh

Apologies for this.

Is there is anything else that we can help with on the Community then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Sparxeh
Team Player

Hi Debbie

So nothing changed, DSL uptime is nearly 48 hours solid... Got home tonight and thought wow the internet feels so slow and streams are buffering...

Run a quick speed test (wired) and wow... Back to the usual 4Mb downstream speeds. Why is this? Is TalkTalk's network really this awful and congested?

TT day 6 only getting 4mb 12.11.19.png

ferguson
Community Star

The same basic network is used by Sky as TalkTalk, so do let us know how things go when your switch goes through.

Sparxeh
Team Player

Completely wrong. Both TalkTalk and Sky have their own LLU networks.

The backbone is entirely different, despite using Openreach's same cable to cab and exchange. You can also tell on tracerts and your hops.

I've been with Sky before, they was my first FTTC ISP - the sync, pings and reliability was miles better. I only hop ISPs for better deals and rewards etc.

ferguson
Community Star

Completely wrong, the LLU network only applies on the copper side, the fibre network is entirely in the hands of Openreach.

Sparxeh
Team Player

You really think every xDSL ISP runs the whole backhaul on Openreach alone? Don’t be daft.

Why do you think specific ISPs can have network outages, yet it doesn’t effect other ISPs? Because they have their own backbone and links ultimately. Not all of them, but the big ones often do.

Either way, it’s quite clear when I personally know after having FTTC for 4 years now; that unplugging Plusnet at the same solid sync and speed I’ve had for years, along with the same when I was with BT and Sky - that it’s a specific TalkTalk network issue. The moment their hub went in it’s gone downhill in every aspect.

I know I’m not the only one, as you can tell by the many other threads of other customers complaining about speeds dropping - especially in evenings / peak hours. Congestion couldn’t be anymore obvious.

ferguson
Community Star

You really think each LLU ISP doesn't have it's own backhaul? Don't be daft. Good look to which ever Openreach "engineers" connect your line in their fibre cabinet.

Sparxeh
Team Player

I’ve no idea how you took that away from what I just posted. Because it doesn’t say that so you might want to re-read it.

Either way, I’ll come back in 2 weeks and post up the new stats and speed to prove my point.

Nothing wrong with me asking TT though in the mean time, why I can’t get a service I’m having to pay for still? Even if I am moving swiftly away.

ferguson
Community Star

Look, I wish you goodbye and good luck. But please don't post false knowledge in the meantime. Other people read these threads too.

Sparxeh
Team Player

Nothing false about my posts or this thread - it's entirely factual. Just because you're a 'community star', you don't have to play PR for TalkTalk as well and try deflect some harsh truths and reality about their infrastructure.

In the meantime, here is something to think about in terms of this 'every ISP is just Openreach' mantra you have... Here's a tracert just now on my TalkTalk line, now reverse lookup hops 2, 3 and 4 and that's three pieces of TalkTalk infrastructure it's just ran through before it hit where I want to go.

I'll let that sink in... Just for a minute.

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.0.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms host-78-151-229-193.as13285.net [78.151.229.193]
3 10 ms 11 ms 9 ms host-78-151-229-188.as13285.net [78.151.229.188]
4 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms host-78-144-11-187.as13285.net [78.144.11.187]
5 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms 23.235.41.94
6 14 ms 15 ms 14 ms 151.101.0.81

Trace complete.

Garton2019
Participant

There appears to be some confusion here.

There is a difference between the logical route the data takes between two points and the physical infrastructure that that data travels over.

The @Sparxeh's tracert in the previous post shows the logical route, data from a TT user traveling over the TT network. This routing is managed by TT.

The physical infrastructure is fibre, for most residential customers that is owned and managed by BTOR as stated by @ferguson. TT simple lease the lines, but never own them.

Confusing the physical with the logical can cause confusion.

Sparxeh
Team Player
Great post Garton - and the logical ‘data’ route is what matters...

Not what physical cable it comes down in this scenario.
Garton2019
Participant

Apologies, but you seemed to be having some issues regarding @ferguson's correct statements regarding BTOR's ownership and management of fibre. Which in the context of your issues was an arguement not really worth having.

Agree that the logical data routing is important, but that tends to be a target site specific problem rather than a general overall performance issue.

I have only quickly scanned your thread but I'm not sure that the data routing is the real issue. Your router stats numbers don't look to be "optimal", but that is something only TT can resolve.

Performance can change between ISP's as there are some high level parameters that are ISP selectable. My understanding is that TT have chosen to default to using the conservative "stable" option rather than a "speed" option - so TT may well be slower than some other ISPs. But again TT may need to investigate to see if that is relevant in the context of your issues.

Good luck.

Sparxeh
Team Player

Fair comment, although even with TT my noise margin was @ 6dB which usually is optimum for 'stability' on Openreach's DLM system, to give me the same speeds as I had prior. Plusnet I had the same dB profile and had a better sync and ping. Sky I had a 3 dB profile which saw a further slight increase but that's a moot point.

Currently, my issue isn't just the speed/sync - it's also the unreliability of TT's router (the crashing and internet dropping, despite DSL being online still and no sync drop) - and speeds at random times of the day, although generally peak and late night times it appears. I've never had any issues with previous ISPs, so I'm just chalking TT up to experience and will not want to touch them again unfortunately.

2 family members have had issues with TT a good few years ago (just on ADSL) and I stupidly thought that reputation had gone and TT weren't too bad. But there are still thinks that irk me as explained above.