cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet connection in the house drops frequently but this is not shown on the router

Community Team

Hi

I'm not seeing any drops or line errors from this side.  Last profile change was the one mentioned by Chris that happened around 1am.

Do the router logs from the new router show any drops or intrusions at that time.

Thanks

Karl. 

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl

As of first thing this morning the router log showed nothing since the 13th at 02:11 but no outages.

Something strange has just occured though, whilst on a phone call the line went dead, something that never happens, then shortly afterward, say 10:35 internet screens were timing out. 

The router log now shows:

May 13 02:11:04

started, version 2.52 cachesize 150

Jan 1 00:01:42

read /etc/hosts - 0 addresses

using nameserver 79.79.79.79#53(via nas8_0)

ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface

ignoring nameserver ::1 - local interface

reading /etc/resolv.conf

using nameserver 79.79.79.79#53(via nas8_0)

compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-I18N no-DHCP no-TFTP

started, version 2.52 cachesize 150

Jan 1 00:00:29

read /etc/hosts - 0 addresses

With connection time of 2 days 8 hours 45 mins

Mac

Community Team

Hi

About 30 minutes ago, around the time of posting I ran an intrusive test to check for any errors on the line or any issues with the fibre connection, and to verify any profile changes.  This would have caused a momentary disruption as the test was ran.  Following on from this, I've also made a small change to the router settings, such as setting the operating mode to always on.  This should actually not be applicable when using a fibre connection, but I always like to rule this out anyway.   I also changed the DNS to rule out any issues with this whilst we are testing.  

We can now see if there are any further dropouts over the course of the day.

Thanks

Karl. 

macgd016
Wizz Kid
macgd016
Wizz Kid

One more confirmed disconnect at 17:35 today, however, I think there may have been another one at 14:58 and there have been many instances of pages seeming to freeze for a while.

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

Our logs aren't showing any disconnections since the 13th, did you notice if the lights changed on the router when the connection seemed to drop?

Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Sadly the router is in the integrual garage where the BT line comes in to the house so there is no opportunity to see what lights are no.

My reason for saying there was a disconnect is that Internet pages froze, new pages timed out and my Windows 10, wire connected desktop PC Network symbol changed to No Network.

These full disconnects are in addition to frequent occasions where pages open much more slowly than expected.

If you are able to look back at my communications with TT I have reported this several times over the years and had to be quite persistent, I have always been told that there was no fault on the line but after getting the problem escalated it would miraculously go away, my suspicion is that OpenReach have done something at the exchange.

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Is there a network trace I can run on my PC for you?

Community Team

Thanks for the information 

Is the desktop PC just connected to a long Ethernet cable running directly from the router? Are you using powerline adapters (home plugs)? Approximately how long is the Ethernet cable?

Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi, I use Power line with short Ethernet cables

macgd016
Wizz Kid

But please remember I also get slow opening pages & freezing pages on my WiFi devices as well.  I can connect my PC by WiFi if that eliminates any cabling 

macgd016
Wizz Kid
*to eliminate cables* if you would like me to
Community Team

Would it be possible to disconnect the powerline adapters and just monitor to see if you then still experience the problem, just to rule out interference from the powerline adapters, as a potential cause of the connection drops.

Chris

Community Team

Sorry, didn't see your last post when I posted my last comment. Yes could you disconnect the powerline adapters completely from the wall sockets and just use the PC on wifi over the weekend just to see if this make any difference to the disconnections

Chris

macgd016
Wizz Kid

A quick update.  Power line has been disconnected, this lead to several occasions when TV streaming buffered badly plus continued internet pages freezing or 'no server found' messages.

Community Team

Hi macgd016

I've completed a further line test which hasn't detected any faults and the connection appears to be stable.

It may be worth arranging a TalkTalk engineer visit so this can be investigated further.

Thanks

Debbie

macgd016
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie

By all means if you feel that you can only move this forward by having an engineer visit, however, please remember that there has been an engineers visit some time ago and he found nothing wrong with my house or the line from the cabinet.  If my memory serves me this was just before I was persuaded to move to fibre as a means of resolving the problem.  In any case nothing has been changed in the house since that last visit.

My router is connected to the Master Socket 5C Mk4 using the cable TT provided and the broadband problems effect both wifi and cable connected devices (in the past I have even lashed in a very long Ethernet cable to eliminate the Powerline network), we have tried another router so the problem would seem to be within the OpenReach infrastructure.

Before this when I experienced similar problems engineers tweeked something at the exchange and all was ok again for a while.  

Community Team

Hi

With you using Powerline Adapters, do the lights on these change or show red / amber etc when the drop out occurs ?  Are they also direct into wall sockets ?

Thanks

Karl. 

macgd016
Wizz Kid

The power line connectors are in the garage & roof so there is no opportunity see ths, however, having disconnecting them over the weekend I think we have eliminated them as a possible source error haven't we?

Community Team

Hi macgd016,

Is it possible to just test with one device connected by Ethernet cable (not PLA's) with all other wireless devices switched off, so that we can see if it is an issue with your internal network side

Chris