Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is TalkTalk Really Actually Bad?

fre55die
Community Star

hi @prawlin

Yes that is how it works for these deals and any of the "BOOSTS" I.E. you have to be on them for at least 30 days before you can change them.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
ferguson
Community Star

@prawlin You have a 20 day cooling off period so you could cancel the upgrade if you wish, although that may still leave you liable to any setup charges. If I were in your position I would contact the loyalty team directly for a chat. Point out that you could cancel and then re-order via uSwitch but hey, wouldn't it be simpler and more cost-effective all round if they could just match the lower price?

charlesb224
Wise Owl

@ferguson .. I tried talking to Loyalty couple of days ago. I asked them for the best they could offer which was £22.50 - I mentioned the Uswitch deal and they said they can't match it and to use the link from uswitch.  Which was £22.45 including the Faster Fibre Boost... Happy days as I was paying £27.50 for the Fibre with boost. :thumbsup:

And for the record, (and to balance the argument in this thread) I've been with TT since 2012 (and prior to that their phone service for around 7 years) the last 4 years on Fibre.  I don't use their equipment to connect, but have a standalone modem (either TT's own router in Modem mode, or a TP-Link, any will do) and use an Asus router to pickup the IP address via DHCP.

Can't fault the service, and when there has been a problem, technical support on the phone are actually quite good. 

ferguson
Community Star

@charlesb224 Good to see some positive feedback and well done with a great deal!  🙂

roger441
First Timer

when its working, its not bad at all, but if you have a problem, contacting them is a PIA. whatever you do, NEVER try the CHAT line, it takes forever and they spend far too much time telling how they are going to help, rather than just getting on with it and sorting out your problem.

The online account page is often corrupt and wont load, which is a worry as all your details are there and it wont work.

they are just totally disorganised for a high technology company its appalling.

having said that, there is nothing wrong with the braodband, it does what its supposed to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"they spend far too much time telling how they are going to help, rather than just getting on with it"

That is very very true

ferguson
Community Star

I have generally found live chat to be an excellent route, although it really depends on the nature of your query. The added benefit is that you have a verbatim record of your exchange.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I guess you are right it may chat may well have worked well for you but

Here is a copy of part of a chat I had

I had asked chat to sort out my sync speed problem

Slindile
 at 14:42, Sep 1:
I've successfully updated your router to the latest version of our software and have also reset it back to factory settings.

Slindile
 at 14:42, Sep 1:
Please monitor your connection over the next 48 hours, to see if the update has made an improvement to your service.

Now at first look all is well until I tell you I was using a HG612 modem and a Draytek router

So how was support able to say "I've successfully updated your router to the latest version of our software and have also reset it back to factory settings" no settings changed or was any reset done on the modem or router, but the screen Slindile was looking at showed him or her changes had been made. It was not an error on the part of Slindile but a shortcoming of the diagnosic kit given to him/her.

As you say though good to have a transcript of chat

The sync speed did not improve after the chat - it did improve but I think I am not allowed to say how I got it fixed from 40000 at the time of the chat to now 53000 D/L, quite a big jump !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am told in an email from user "Anonymous"

my last post is in a spam filter - can anyone tell me why ?

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

@Anonymous wrote:

I am told in an email from user "Anonymous"

my last post is in a spam filter - can anyone tell me why ?

Raise it here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for your informative reply

ferguson
Community Star

Excuse me? Have you done as I suggested? "Anyone" cannot answer, only the TalkTalk team. It has nothing to do with this topic per se hence why I referred you elsewhere. OK now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thanks

leegriffin
First Timer

i pay for the 76mbps but, oh wait, its talk talk i only get 10mbps. USELESS.

davecm
Conversation Starter

I've been with Talktalk for 5 years, initially on ADSL, then on 38Mbit Fibre and recently upgraded to 76MBit Fibre boost. Once up and running, all these services have provided the full maximum advertised speeds very consistently, with very few outages. Loss of connection maybe 2 or 3 times a year for only a few minutes. That's much more reliable than the Virgin fibre service I had at my previous house where outages were much more frequent and often lasting several hours.

That's the good bit. The bad bits are mostly where Talktalk depends on action by Openreach to complete an installation, or fix a fault. That would probably apply equally to any ISP using Openreach infrastructure. Issues as below. TT seemingly incapable of getting Openreach to fix problems quickly, effectively or on time.

I guess they have to cut corners to provide the UKs cheapest service. Those corners appear to be in hardware - routers, Youview receiver, and customer service.

When I bought my house it had been empty for several years and had a connected but inactive BT phone line and no previous broadband. TT were offering free broadband and TV for the first 6 months and I was not planning on moving in immediately, so signing up was a no brainer. The router and Youview hardware was delivered quickly and the broadband was live on the planned date. I could make outgoing calls, but for many weeks could not receive incoming calls. Callers got a message saying the line was not in service. Openreach engineers were booked but failed to turn up, and I had travelled from London to Derbyshire to let them in. They eventually replaced the line from the telephone pole to my house. Still no incoming calls for more weeks. Eventually fixed and was due to admin error by Openreach failing to activate my phone number.

The Talktalk Youview box was rubbish. Very slow response to many remote functions, froze often, needed to be rebooted several times a week, and took 10 minutes to reboot, often missing the start of a programme. When my contract expired, I sent it back, cancelled the TV service and bought a retail BT Youview box which works perfectly.

The Huawei HG635 router was good. Gigabit ethernet, ok wifi throughout the house.

Recently I bought a NAS (network hard drive with many bells and whistles, access to files from anywhere via internet, VPN, web server etc.) and subscribed to a cloud backup service. To get the most from that I added the fibre speed boost to make cloud backups as quick as possible.

Upload speed doubled on go-live date. Download speed stayed at 38Mbits. Many wasted hours on phone/chat testing wifi (even though I was testing connection using ethernet). I traced fault myself to dirty contacts in master socket test plug and after cleaning got the full speed.

Openreach replaced master socket, but clip-on faceplate kept falling off disconnecting the line. Engineer re-booked to replace but failed to turn up. Many more hours on phone/chat, each time the computer system to book an Openreach call was not working. I fixed master socket myself. Openreach had overtightened the screws with an electric screwdriver, distorting the backplate causing the faceplate not to clip on securely.

Huawei HG635 router became a weak link in the faster broadband connection, as it does not support wifi at 76Mbits even on 5GHz band, and I wanted to back up laptops to NAS without having to connect ethernet cables, so I upgraded to new Sagemcom wifi hub. That provided full speed over wifi on 5Ghz when it worked, but 5GHz kept cutting out with no signal being transmitted from router. Replacement hub had same fault. Numerous other firmware issues suggesting router customisation by Talktalk not tested properly. Sent it back for a refund and bought a retail router which works perfectly. If you want to get 76Mbits at your laptop, make sure both laptop and router support that speed. Older laptops and old or cheap routers may not.

So finally I was happy, until I tried to access my new NAS from abroad. Mobile apps connected fine and could access data, but their connection goes via the NAS manufacturer's server. I was unable to log in to NAS user interface, or to use the VPN server, all of which worked fine from anywhere in UK on mobile network or friends or public wi-fi. NAS supplier tested and found no fault.

Turns out that Talktalk blocks all incoming network traffic from foreign IP addresses, at the network level, and can't enable it for individual lines. They also by default block connections, within the UK too, to the Teamviewer website, and to Teamviewer's remote support servers. I use that to provide remote PC support to friends, family and occasionally clients. They did unblock Teamviewer for me. I'm guessing that the reason for all this is the Talktalk data hack, which resulted in huge numbers of scam phonecalls from India to Talktalk customers, where the scammers tricked customers into allowing remote access to their PCs. I don't know if other remote connection providers are also blocked.

I've yet to determine whether other ISPs block incoming traffic from abroad, but if they don't I'll be leaving TT when my contract expires.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The bad bits are mostly where Talktalk depends on action by Openreach to complete an installation, or fix a fault."

It easy to blame Openreach and sometimes it is correct to do so - but one also has to factor in what level of service support the ISP has with Openreach.

"They also by default block connections, within the UK too, to the Teamviewer website, and to Teamviewer's remote support servers."

When I had a TT business line Teamviewer worked fine both ways for me so maybe the block is only on TT res lines

"I guess they have to cut corners to provide the UKs cheapest service. Those corners appear to be in hardware - routers, Youview receiver, and customer service"

Spot on thinking there from you

I had IPTV on my Res TT line - you are right the TT box was not good, a Humax did the job a whole lot better

davecm
Conversation Starter

For clarity, I should have added that it's Homesafe Scam Protection setting that blocks Teamviewer. The block only happened after I activated that, after a suspected adware infection.

I found that having activated it via My Account, is was not possible to switch it off without calling customer service by phone. There should be a warning on the settings page that certain types of legitimate activity might be blocked by these settings. I use Teamviewer regularly to provide remote support to friends and family, as it used to be my job.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
charlesb224
Wise Owl

@davecm wrote:

So finally I was happy, until I tried to access my new NAS from abroad. Mobile apps connected fine and could access data, but their connection goes via the NAS manufacturer's server. I was unable to log in to NAS user interface, or to use the VPN server, all of which worked fine from anywhere in UK on mobile network or friends or public wi-fi. NAS supplier tested and found no fault.

Turns out that Talktalk blocks all incoming network traffic from foreign IP addresses, at the network level, and can't enable it for individual lines. 

I've yet to determine whether other ISPs block incoming traffic from abroad, but if they don't I'll be leaving TT when my contract expires.

I'm not certain this is true.  I have been with TT for many years, the majority of which I've had an ASUS router with built in VPN which I have logged into many many times from Europe and US, so I'm doubtful that TT would spend the time blocking this.  In fact, I can see multiple attempts on my routers logs for connections to my OpenVPN server, but fails due to authentication.  I recently changed the TCP Port to a custom one, and the connection attempts have stopped.  If you're using VPN on your NAS, then I suspect that the issue may be with the ALG settings on the router.  These are Automatic rules which allow/deny certain Wan connections - check the advanced page on your router, you should see something like the below:sagem-upnp.jpg

I did have the teamviewer problem (I also use it to assist my Dad and Father in Law, both of whom are on TT) . It's down to the Scam Protection Boost which is activated by default on most accounts.  Turn that off and I think you'll be fine.   If not, then call TT support (or use webchat) which is what I did and they fixed it for me.  *NOTE Edited to ensure that no-one inadvertantly removes the wrong boost.

Gondola
Community Star

@charlesb224 wrote: I did have the teamviewer problem... It's down to the Supersafe Boost which is activated by default on most accounts.  Turn that off and I think you'll be fine.   If not, then call TT support (or use webchat) which is what I did and they fixed it for me.  

No, access for Remote Access Software like Teamviewer is nothing to do with SuperSafe Boost security.  Do not turn off the security that SuperSafe Boost provides if you do use that security.

It's Scam Protection that blocks sites like TeamViewer by default.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

charlesb224
Wise Owl

@Gondola

I don't use the Scam protection boost, I have a special boost called the charlesb224windup boost. It's not available to anyone outside of my home network

(I also have the call screening active which is absolutely brilliant - not a single scam call since setting it up)

When I *used* to get a call from the scammers, I'd keep them going as long as possible until they'd told me to goto (and they usually spelt it) T E A M V I E W E R dot C O M, and they'd ask me what I could see, to which I would say something along the lines of:

"It says:  If you've reached this page, then you have some stupid scammer on the phone, tell them to !!!!!! go away" (!!!! = or words to that effect)

By the way.... still no news on IPV6...