Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New wifi hub keeps rebooting

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just had my fibre wifi hub replaced because the old one kept rebooting in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately the new one seems to be doing just the same.

Also it is rebooting at only 30mbps while the old one sometimes got 40! (This was just after 3 engineering visits to sort out slow speed)

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi robincm1,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the router rebooting at exactly the same time every night? Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line? Does it reboot at all during the day?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

It usually reboots between about midnight and 5.00 am.

I've only had the new one a couple of days but the old one only very rarely rebooted during the day. It usually lasted longer between reboots when it connected at 30mbps down/10mbps up but at 32.4 and 35 and 40 it would only last about 24 hours.

Voice service is fine.

Cheers,

Robin

Highlighted

Hi Robin,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Do you have any devices set on a timer to come on/off around the time that the router reboots? Once it has rebooted does it regain sync straight away?

How long has this replacement router been connected for?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Nothing on timers - all devices “sleeping” in middle of night! Don’t know how long it takes to sync as I don’t check till later in day.

New router has only been plugged in for 48 hours so probably still “settling in”, however I had expected it to stay online but perhaps with variable speed.

Cheers,

Robin

PS. Going away for long weekend tomorrow so won’t be able to monitor it daily until Monday.

Highlighted

Hi robin,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Would it be possible to bump your thread (request an update) on Monday and we can check the connection stats again to see how the stability compares and also to see if DLM has made any changes to the sync speed now that this replacement router is connected?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Will do.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi Robin

I've checked the connection stats and the connection appears to have remained stable since 28/09 and sync speed is 30mb.

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for keeping an eye on my connection. I have just returned home after long weekend and, as you say, the connection seems to have been stable while I was away.

However the speed remains at 30mbps whereas I was getting 40mb after the last OpenReach engineer visit, so I am still well below the expected 38mb promised.

Regards,

Robin

Highlighted

Hi Robin

Thanks for your reply.

If the speed hasn't increased then we would need to arrange an engineer visit (Openreach)

Would you like to monitor the connection for a while longer to see if DLM makes any changes to the speed or would you prefer us to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Thanks Debbie. 

I think I will reboot manually tonight and see what happens. 

I am away again next weekend till middle of Oct. so, if it’s ok with you, I will pursue the matter further then!

please keep the ticket open. 

Cheers,

Robin

PS. Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure what DLM is. 

Highlighted

Hi Robin

No problem. It would be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes.

DLM monitors the line and adjusts the profile to get the best balance between stability and speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Robin,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Chris,
I have replied!
Robin
Highlighted

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the PM

Yes your speed should be higher than it is. Your master socket should have a test socket under the face plate - there's more information about master sockets here

Could you connect your router to you test socket and leave it there for at least 48 hours to give DLM chance to respond to any improvement

CHris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

Back from holiday! 

Router has been plugged in to test socket all the time we were away (10 days). It rebooted at least once (10th Oct at 0530) if not more times (the TV box went off sometime around Wed 9th)

The speed is still down at 30mbps down & 10mbps up so there is definitely a problem somewhere.

I have had to plug router back in to normal master socket as the test socket way was blocking our phone extensions.

Kind regards,

Robin

Highlighted

Hi Robin

Apologies for this.

If all testing has been completed with an alternative router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Please let us know if you would like us to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi a Debbie,

Yet another Openreach engineer!!! That’ll be the 4th engineer (2 Brightsparks & 2 Openreach!!!}

yes please.

Robin

Highlighted

Hi Robin

What the did the last Openreach engineer advise?

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

When the last Openreach engineer left everything was working perfectly with a synch speed of 40mbps down and 10mbps up.

This lasted a few days before the speed started becoming erratic again and the router was replaced.

This has now been going on for months - TalkTalk initially informed me that I wasn't getting the expected speed in an email dated 9 July.

I am beginning to feel somewhat upset, to say the least so I am not at all keen to give up another half day of my time and accept that you might even charge me for the privilege!!!

Regards,

Robin