Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Possible router issue

32 REPLIES 32
nick_rampart
Team Player

Afternoon all,

This morning (working from home) I got back from MOTing the car to find no internet connection.

Router on, white light shining, but my connections to work had dropped, windows was reporting no internet connection.

Tried to connect to the router dashboard on the normal IP, got the log on screen. On trying to log in, I got the following message in red.

Communication error with the gateway

See below screenshot.

I switched router off and on again. Everything fine.

Then, just after mid-day, same deal.

Wondering if this could be a dodgy router?

Any suggestions please?

Cheers,

Nick.

gateway.PNG

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @nick_rampart 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

nick_rampart
Team Player
Thanks Keith, yup, kinda know the score of how things work around here : all my profile info is up to date, and, to be honest, I'd rather wait 48 hours for an OCE to answer than contact the call centre 🙂

Cheers,

Nick.
nick_rampart
Team Player

Update : just happened again. 

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi nick,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Is the voice service currently ok with no noise on the line?

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with?

Thanks

nick_rampart
Team Player

Hi Michelle, thanks for getting back.

1. It happened again, about an hour ago.

2. My land line seems fine. And my speed tests are good too (obvs when this intermittent fault isn't happening)

3. I sadly dont have an alternative router these days.

Is there any chance you guys can send me a new one to try?

Nick.

OCE_Chris

Hi Nick,

I've ordered a replacement router, it should be with you within a couple of working days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

nick_rampart
Team Player

Thank you Chris, that's fantastic.

OCE_Chris
nick_rampart
Team Player

Hello! Recieved new router, sadly the problem still exists, so looks like my gut feeling about the router being bad was not correct.

I replaced the router, the cable to the BT Master Socket, the power pack and even an ethernet cable with the stuff you supplied with the router. Wanted a completely new set of kit. No dice.

To re-cap.

1. Occasionally, I lose connection. Wired and WiFi.It's been happening several times a day.

2. When I do, I get the message 'Communication error with the gateway' when I try to log into the Router dashboard. This is what made me think it was a duff router : I've always been able to connect to the router, even if the internet connection is down.

3. All my other devices lose connectivity to the internet, when this happens.

4. The 'white light' shows on the router front throughout.

5. The router is still replying to pings on the local network.

Please can you suggest a next step?

Nick

OCE_Chris

Thanks for the information Nick, sorry to hear that the router didn't resolve the problem

Do you currently just have the router and one telephone connected to the master socket? Do you have any other telephone sockets in your home?

Chris

nick_rampart
Team Player

Hi Chris!

Not massive land line users, but we do have 1 DECT phones, and a classic corded boy coming from that socket. The classic phone is connected with an extension, in another room. Would you suggest I try unplugging it all, see if it helps?

I'm not hugely hopeful : it's all been in use for many years the way it is now, never a problem, no recent changes to anything.

For the record, it's one of the newer BT master sockets, with the built in microfilter.

Nick.

OCE_Chris

Thanks Nick, could you connect your router to the test socket via a micro-filter, and leave it connected there for at least 48 hours to give DLM chance to respond to any improvement (this should disconnect the extension socket)

Chris

nick_rampart
Team Player
Yup, no probs, I'll try it when I get home tonight, thanks for the continued help.

Nick.
OCE_Chris

No problem, look forward to hearing how you get on 🙂

Chris

nick_rampart
Team Player

Hi Chris, news is bad. 

Same symptoms plugged into test socket.

Anything else we can try please? 

Nick

nick_rampart
Team Player
Just to add, it's seem to disconnect overnight, it's been up for about 2 hours now.

I'll leave it for 48 hours as you suggest, but, when it disconnects, if I'm doing something where I need the internet, I'll have to restart the router. Hope that's alright.

Nick
OCE_Chris

OK thanks Nick, and just to confirm, the light doesn't change on the router at all when you lose connection?

Chris

nick_rampart
Team Player
Nope, white and shining 🙂 That's one of the reasons why this prob is really confusing to me.

Whichever provider I've used over the years (I've had a few) when broadband is down, the router has always shown it's down in some way (lights on the front), and I've *always* still been able to log into the router to check things.

This problem, the lights say it's okay, and I cant connect to the router to check anything. However, the router is still responding to pings even when I cant connect to it via it's dashboard, so it's seemingly alive in the LAN sense.

I'm not far from my telephone exchange, so I've always enjoyed great broadband, and have had few probs over the years.

An enigma for me this one, really hope it can be sorted out.

Nick
OCE_Chris

Thanks for the information 

Could you make a note of the date/time of the next 2 or 3 disconnections and I'll check to see if there is anything showing on our systems at those times

Chris