Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sagemcom connection dropping

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Visitor

Looking for some help please. Every few minutes whilst on WiFi the router just doesn't seem to respond. Whether it's using a browser, Netflix, YouTube etc there will be moments where everything just comes to a complete halt but the connection is still there and it doesn't say limited connection or no internet.

The connection shows as excellent and about 144 - 172mbps. Speedtests are also in line with what I'd expect.

I've tried resetting the router and turning it off for a few minutes but this only seems to offer a few hours respite before the issue resurfaces.

I've been with Talk talk for about 3 years now and until now everything has been stable yet I can't think what has changed.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Shazoo ,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal). Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

Even though your devices say they are connected and don't say 'no internet', it would be good to be sure by checking the lights on the router when you have these issues, as sometimes a router could drop its connection and reconnect fast enough for some Wi-Fi devices to not actually update their network stats in time to show 'no internet'.

If you think it is a Wi-Fi issue then it could potentially be a fault with the router, but it may also just be Wi-Fi interference. There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

The staff on this forum won't be around until Monday now, however they should respond to this topic early next week to help if you are still having issues.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Shazoo

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Is this also affecting wired devices?

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Visitor

Hi @OCE_Debbie, a replacement router would be appreciated thanks.

@Skynet_TX Thanks for the advice. I've already messed about with the WiFi channels and have always split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. I haven't made any network changes and this is a new issue so hopefully it's just faulty hardware.

Thanks both.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Shazoo

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie