Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slow speeds

11 REPLIES 11
totalfusion
Conversation Starter

So, I think that since the latest firmware update my speed seems to have dropped and it does not appear to be possible to solve this through support.

I escalated this on Tuesday 3rd and they kindly did a reboot and a factory reset on my router that changed nothing, other than my mood as I there was no warning of this and had to reconfigure my router for my home network. In the end it was "monitor for 48 hours and come back if there is still an issue".

Yesterday there was still an issue so I got back in touch. Their response was to do TWO factory resets (both without warning) to try and help the issue - amazingly this did nothing, other than wind me up even more. I called it a night as I was so wound up.

Got back in touch today. Confirmed that my telephone socket was in fact the same as it was yesterday and the 7 times they previously asked over the last 4 days, and yes the grey cable was plugged in correctly and there still isn't any building work going on it my house. After nearly an hour of chatting the TT engineer thought it may be worth doing a factory reset without even telling me. He then asked me to "monitor for 48 hours and come back if there is still an issue".

Anyway, I've now reconfigured my router so that we can use the very average TT service, but I've really had enough.

The last time I had slow internet I tried to explain that it was a router issue, but they would not listen. 5 months and 3 engineer visits later I finally was escalated to the CEO Office. A few days later they confirmed a hardware issue and sent me a new router - and the service was pretty damned good from there until, what I think impacted this, their latest firmware was installed. I'm assuming this is the issue because of the timing of the service issue as well as the continued factory resets that TT keep doing but rarely did previously.

So here I am left with an under-performing TT internet service "monitoring" - I'm not confident that anything will change.

I still have 3 months left on my contract but I'm pretty sure TT haven't got a leg to stand on given their service to me over the last 9 months. I'm gonna pack up and use another provider, it'll cost a few quid more, but I have a life outside chasing TT on their shoddy service.

If anyone has similar issues, or knows any miracle fix then please, I beg you, spare a moment and share this - I just need some hope, anything.

paulshent
Community Star

Hi

Presume you have the fast router on firmware release SG4K10002808t

I use this firmware without any issue.

Oce's only work Monday to Friday so in mean time just drop power to your router for 35 mins then power it back on.

This should cause lBT DLM to reset line to max speed.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi totalfusion

I'm sorry to hear this.

What speed were you receiving before the firmware update?

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run some speed tests using the TalkTalk speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

totalfusion
Conversation Starter

Apologies - been extremely busy and not had a chance to do this.

Did it last night, as noticed speed had dropped to around 12.5Mb. Came back at 35Mb so no improvement over where it was before I raised this with TT. This is below my stated expected speed range.

totalfusion
Conversation Starter
@OCE_Debbie my line speed was 39Mb but this was only restored a month or two ago after 6 months investigation and escalation to CEO Team, who finally identified the issue as the router (ironically what I originally identified at the start of the debacle)
totalfusion
Conversation Starter

Just back on with support - told them the story of what's happening - they did another reboot and my service is now slower.

had to then get back on to chat and talk to another engineer - I can guess what they will do, and I don't think I'm gonna be impressed if asked to monitor for another 48 hours or even if another engineer is sent out as it will be the third since the end of October and no issues found.

totalfusion
Conversation Starter

Oh, I just remembered that I was so wound up last weekend I logged an escalation (191207-000128) which an auto-reply suggested I should hear back in 24 hours ... that was 2pm last Saturday. I appreciate the team may not work weekends but it's been over 4 days so either they are overwhelmed with escalations on how terrible TT service is or they have redefined their interpretation of 24 hours.

I'm really really unimpressed and looking forward to being someone else's customer as soon as possible!

totalfusion
Conversation Starter

Oh my - another reboot was suggested but I politely asked them to not bother unless they could explain what had changed since the last reboot. Nothing had changed so we didn't reboot.

He did ask me if I could try a different microfilter - which is odd as they have checked on which model socket I had on every call until now - I said that I don't need one because of my new socket that TT ordered along with the new cable run that Openreach last year. He then tole me he'd ordered the filter anyway and said it will be with me in a couple of days. He waited a while and when I asked what was happening they shut down the conversation.

I'm starting to think they they have no idea of what the issue is and are just trying to wind me up now - this is absolutely appalling treatment as a customer, I feel I'm pretty much being treated with nothing more than contempt.

totalfusion
Conversation Starter
... sorry, the TT support didn't shut down the conversation, that's my mistake, they rebooted the router AGAIN - IDIOTS!!!!!!!
OCE_Michelle

Hi totalfusion,

Sorry for the delay. I've re-checked this and the line test is still clear. Would you like us to send a replacement router to rule this out and see how the sync speed compares?

Thanks

totalfusion
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

I was sent a new router the last time I had performance issues and this did resolve the problem for around a month (from memory, may have been a bit longer, maybe 6 weeks), however, the performance looks to have taken a hit and this has stabilised at a slower speed that previously and lower than my guaranteed speed. The router is out of the way and never touched other than when a reset is required, so I'm not sure what another router would bring to the mix unless there is a quality issue on the units - although this could explain the issues I've had over the past 8 months that were resolved by the last replacement router.

If you think that it may be worth trying a replacement router then by all means send one out and I'll give it a go, I'm not sure what else that the issue can be as there is nothing else I can check and everything I can check is coming back without issue.

Thanks.

OCE_Michelle

Hi totalfusion,

If this only appeared to happen after the firmware update then it may be worth trying a different make and model (HG633) of router to test this to see if the sync speed increase. Are you happy for us to send a HG633 router for testing purposes?

Thanks