would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Smooth transition

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Team Player

Micro review

Being already on the Openreach network with FTTC, as soon as the Plusnet line went down I swapped the router (alredy customized 2 days ago) and in 1 minute I was ready to go: LAN and wifi all OK in seconds. 😊

The speed fortunately it's the same... I mean there wasn't any DLM reset so I don't have to wait 14 days to get back at the target SNR (settle). Hopefully I could get something more? Let's see in the next weeks what happens.

Attenuation downstream 18db (with PS hub one was 22, so here it's a bit better).

Probably it's a bug... at the moment the SNR downstream is 0 (obviously impossible) while the upstream has a nice value of 6 (modern standard). Reverse thing for the attenuation.

Maybe tomorrow or a restart will solve this weird values.

The firewall

it's a bit unclear about the Medium when it says "Block all below" followed by "Netbios". It sounds like nothing is blocked except Netbios, but a port scanning from the outside shows that actually it's all closed and stealth... So I have no idea what such phrase means and I haven't found anything on the wifi-hub manual. Whatever the case, despite unclear to me, it works properly in the default config.

Port forward

It works OK along with "Medium" firewall option.

Happy there wasn't any disruption at all! 👍

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hey,

Don't build your hopes up: there's no real reason why the speed would increase. It the same provider with the same technology over the same cables 🙄

And yes, it's a bug: the SNR downstream is 0 for all of us. You can get the actual number by entering some javascript commands but it's a bit fiddly.

Our phones fall, we panic
Our friends fall, we laugh!
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi gouarfig,

yes I know it's all Openreach in any case, but a newer router (this wifi-hub has been released in November 2016 by Sagemcom) could manage signal/noise better than a router designed in 2013 (Plusnet Hub One = BT Hub 5). The bugs GUI-side confirm it's a quite new piece of hardware!😋

GUI bugs found in a few hours

1) SNR 0

2) Some icons on connected devices are accepted only after setting another one

3) Some icons on connected devices are not accepted at all. E.g. when I click "Apply" on a device set with icon "Camera" it returns error.

4) In any case no problem because all the icons on connected devices are lost after a restart 🤒

5) The Ajax call to cgi/json-req when you click "Apply" from the page where you set friendly data about the connected devices (e.g the icon)  takes some seconds to run and doesn't show any animation, so the user can click another button and go away and the router doesn't save anything.

6) The Firewall default setting "Medium" it's not clear about what happens wan->lan. It sounds like it's all open but Netbios. Fortunately it's all closed.

By the way it's not a bad piece of hardware in all. It also manage g.inp (that it's not yet in my p38 cabinet but should be there in April  😍).

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

The GUI is definitely full of bugs. Don't even try to give nice names to your machines on the network because they are not saved if you reboot the router. I think the GUI part of the firmware was given to the interns.

Apart from that, yes, it does look like pretty good hardware. You can even use it for VoIP, but sadly it's not something anybody is providing in the UK.

And so far it's the fastest and best Wifi signal of all the routers I ever had.

Our phones fall, we panic
Our friends fall, we laugh!
Highlighted
Team Player

Apart from that, yes, it does look like pretty good hardware. You can even use it for VoIP, but sadly it's not something anybody is providing in the UK.

Tested OK with my sip/voip phone (non uk service)

And so far it's the fastest and best Wifi signal of all the routers I ever had.

Confirm! In a room where I had 12mbps with Plusnet Hub One now I have 22mbps with both the router and the client in the same exact position/orientation as before. With 5Ghz I get 33mbps. For unknown reasons the laptop built-in module doesn't connect to the 5GHz channel despite it actually manages 5GHz, so I've tested the 5Ghz with a Tp-Link usb wifi adapter.

Let's hope TT will invest some time to improve the software because this hw along with this sw looks like the engine of a Nissan Skyline into a FIAT Panda. 😂 I don't expect to have a GUI like a professional router or a telnet access, but at least what's available should work... and I don't think it's difficult to fix.

Highlighted
Team Player

I was having a look at the code of the GUI... there are some inconsistencies that trigger an alarm in any developer mind about the value of such software.

For example, in the page where you change icons to the devices, choosing "Camera" gives me error when I click "Apply". Having a look at the ajax calls I can see it's formatted OK just like the other ones BUT the value passed to cgi/json-req (that is the backend API that interface the GUI with the firmware) is strangely lowercase while all the others are uppercase.

<option ng-repeat="leType in deviceTypes" ng-bind="leType.type | translate" ng-selected="leType.type === userDeviceType" value="TV_DECODER" class="ng-binding ng-scope">TV Decoder</option>

<option ng-repeat="leType in deviceTypes" ng-bind="leType.type | translate" ng-selected="leType.type === userDeviceType" value="WIFI_BRIDGE" class="ng-binding ng-scope">Wi-Fi Bridge</option>

<option ng-repeat="leType in deviceTypes" ng-bind="leType.type | translate" ng-selected="leType.type === userDeviceType" value="Camera" class="ng-binding ng-scope">Camera</option>

I've modified the value and resent it uppercase but same error, so probably such value is completely wrong or not implemented in the CGI and it returns a json reply with XMO_REQUEST_ACTION_ERR

that the GUI translates into english

Operation could not complete, something wrong happened.

Just to say that:
1) Any developer tries to avoid a set of values uppercase + adding only 1 lowercase in the same group/scope. This could resolt in more errors in the future.
2) this is simply fixable for someone that has access to all the parts. In this case having acces to the code of the CGI in mandatory to understand what it expects as a value. Doesn't require months to fix... probably 1 day.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi _rik_,

We do have a new version of firmware for the wifi hub coming soon. This is currently being tested at the moment.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

great! It's a pity this nice piece of hardware is ruined by the GUI software.

Do you have any public changelog?

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Sorry, we do not have a public changelog for the later firmware, but this will contain many improvements highlighted by customers across our community.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Karl,

no problem.

Before it is released, could you report the developer this bug?

In the page gui/#/device/ethernet/xxxx/device-info

(where xxxx is any device ID)

choosing "Camera" and clicking "Apply", the Ajax call posts the value "Camera" to the CGI but the value is not managed properly into the CGI (or even unknown) and it returns back a json reply containing the general error code XMO_REQUEST_ACTION_ERR

Basically the icon "Camera" cannot be used. I don't have access to the CGI (even less the necessary source code) so I can't be more specific on the reason of the error.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Sure, I pass all these across to our device manager and he passes all the bug reports across to the manufacture for testing and correction.

Thanks

Karl. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Another bug

In the page gui/#/ethernet

when the page loads the stats from the CGI the variable used to contain the value for the bytes sent/received is an 8 bit integer so it overflows at 4294967295. In fact when the traffic goes beyond 4 GB it is resets to 0.

This is what the CGI returns back (JSON) to the GUI in case of 4GB and 27MB bytes sent

xpath Device/Ethernet/Interfaces/Interface[@uid='1']/Stats/BytesSent
parameters
value 27526146
capability {…}
name BytesSent
type xmo:uint64 xmo:number xmo:value

As you can see the variable has reset and shows only the exceeding part of the 4GB (27MB).

In the last row you can see the var type was expected to be uint64... but it's clearly not such type, it's an unsigned int 32. The problems it's quite surely in the CGI because in JS there are no types and the int could reach 9007199254740991.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi _rik_,

Thanks, I've passed this to our Products Team.

Thanks