Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed drop

ANSWERED
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Insightful One

Over the past 12-24 hours my speed has dropped from an excellent 35- 36  to 22-24. I have checked the service status and the online  line check and everything seems good. Is there any reason for this . I noticed it yesterday evening and it is still there this morning.  I have reset the router and it didn't help.

Thanks 

Rochelle

Highlighted
First Timer

I'm having same issue at the moment. Download speed on fibre broadband was previously 40Mbps+... now getting 5-9 Mbps. 

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Rochelle ,

Have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, then when you switch it back on it will start a new 'session', this can sometimes help it reconnect at a better speed.

@sirkewell - To get assistance from the staff on this site you will need to start your own topic, as they can only help one customer per topic, you will also need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Highlighted
Insightful One

@Skynet_TX  The speed is still 22.4mbps this evening . I will try what you have asked  by turning the wifi off overnight and put it back on in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion. Such a shame as I have been so pleased with the fibre broadband since I had it installed recently.

Rochelle

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Rochelle,

How are you getting on, did you try Skynet_TX's advice? (I can't check your connection at the moment due to a system issue)

Chris

Highlighted

Hi sirkewell,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Chris @Skynet_TX   Hey that worked!! I forgot to do it last night but just done it now and the speed is back up now to 37.6!!!!

I also think the line was dropping because I kept seeing a pop up saying "broadband restored" or something like that but it must only have been off for seconds as I wasn't aware of it.   

Anyway I will now remember that trick!!

Rochelle

Highlighted

Glad to hear it worked Rochelle, please let us know if you experience any further problems 

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Chris   Oh dear - that didn't last long as it has dropped right back to 18.6 now!!!  Can you get someone to take a look at what is going on as online checks all look perfect!!

Update - i also have that stupid password pop up coming up intermittently again which means to me that there is something going on at TT's end!!

Thanks 

Rochelle

Highlighted
Insightful One

I remembered to turn the router off overnight and this morning it is back up to 37.6. Lets hope it stays like that!!

Rochelle

Highlighted

OK Rochelle, please let us know if it continues to happen

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Chris   Update - in the evening . I have seen the pop up again "Your internet connection has been restored" that means it must be dropping out.  I think this is something you can check at your end isn't it? 

Just check the speed  and it is still 36. 4.

Thanks

Rochelle

Highlighted
Community Star
Hi, are you doing these speed tests and experiencing these pop up messages on a wireless device ?. Just wondering if the issues are related to the Wi-Fi connection between your device and your router, rather than a problem with the broadband connection to your router ?
Highlighted

Hi Rochelle,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see 1 re-connection on the line. Just to confirm, did you reboot the router when this happened? Does it only happen on wireless devices?

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Michelle   I have rebooted the router 3 times  in the last few days 

The speed has stayed stable all day at around 36-37 thanks.

Rochelle

Highlighted

Thanks for the update Rochelle. Can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check how it's been over the weekend

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

@OCE_Chris Sorry I'm a day late but just to say everything is still running fine thanks . Speed is 37.5 

Thanks 

Rochelle

Highlighted

That's great news Rochelle, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Chris