would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Switched to Faster Fibre.

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi all, 

It's just turned 13:00 and no call yet from the Tech Team, not that it really matters.

I've been keeping a record of the speeds during the morning and up to now, here they are -

Time:            Response ms             Download      Upload

09:15                  11                              16.7              7.6

09:45                  11                              16.0              7.6

10:05                  11                              19.2              7.5

10:45                  11                              17.3              7.5

11:00                  11                              18.3              7.6

11:15                  11                              18.6              7.6

11:30                  11                              19.1              7.6

11:45                  11                              20.1              7.6

12:00                 10                              19.3              7.5

12:15                 11                              17.1              7.6

12:45                 11                              19.2              7.5

13:00                 11                              20.2              7.5

As you can see, the response and upload figures are fairly constant, however, the download speed varies wildly, but still nothing approaching the 32 mps (I think) obtained by OpenReach at the exchange.

What next, please?

Dave    

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dave,

Can you switch your router off for 30 minutes then switch back on and run a couple more speed tests (on the My Account speed checker) on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable. Can you switch off any other devices that connect to your router while running the speed tests 

Your sync speed is 39.2, I don't know why throughput speeds are so low in comparison. If the speeds are still low when you run the above tests then it may be worth sending one of our engineers to take a look

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I will do, just checked in the service centre, that shows the Internet has been disconnecting and a current line speed of 30 mb.

Back soon.

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I switched off the Router as you suggested for half an hour, before I did so, I did a speed check and at the time got the following result.

10:10 - 11 ms, 19.9 mbs download, 7.5 mbs upload.

After rebooting the Router and connecting the laptop via the Ethernet cable I got the following results.

10:45 - 17 ms, 37.3 mbs download, 0.0 mbs upload 

10:47 - 17 ms, 37.3 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

10:48 - 11 ms, 18.7 mbs download, 0.0 mbs upload

10:49 - 11 ms, 20.3 mbs download, 7.5 mbs upload

10:50 - 12 ms, 20.7 mbs download, 7.7 mbs upload

10:51 - 11 ms, 20.4 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

The following results are using the WiFi connection

10:53 - 11 ms, 19.0 mbs download, 7.5 mbs upload 

10:54 - 12 ms, 16.3 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

Both of the above are taken with the Router next to the laptop.

10:55 - 12 ms, 21.0 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

10:56 - 12 ms, 20.9 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

11:15 - 11 ms, 20.7 mbs download, 7.6 mbs upload

These three, over the WiFi connection with the laptop in the lounge.

Apart from the quick burst on the first two tests, the rest are pretty much in the same area, with one exception.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Again Chris,

Just had a thought, it wouldn't be by any chance be a problem with the Router would it?

Only, when the OpenReach engineer called Tuesday afternoon he tested the socket and said the signal reading was good, the reading at the exchange at the time was I think he said, 32 mb and apart from the two bursts of speed, all the other readings are pretty consistent.

Joe the Tech Manager when he called Monday evening, asked if I had another Router I could connect, but I haven't.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

While waiting for a reply I've been looking through other threads and see that someone else has had problems with their Router dropping the connection, after being switched to Fibre, their Router is the same model as mine a Huawei HG633, could this be a common problem?

Dave 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Nothing much has changed over the weekend, the Service Centre feature still shows that my Internet connection has been disconnecting and speed tests all have roughly the same readings.

The latest taken at 09:50 today is

10 ms ping, 20.9 mbs download and 7.6 mbs upload.

Could it be a Router problem as I mentioned as a possibility on Friday?

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

The Service Centre is still showing that the Internet has been disconnecting and according to the Line Speed it's supposedly 38 mb, which it might well be at the exchange, but not at my end.

This morning speed tests come up with the following results.

08:10 - 11 ms ping, 22.0 Mbps download and 7.6 Mbps upload

08:35 - 11 ms ping, 20.6 Mbps download and 7.6 Mbps upload

Do you have any further suggestions or advice as to what the problems are and how to resolve them?

Thanks.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like to try a 3782 router for testing purposes to see how the stability compares?

Thanks

Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Yes please, it can't do any harm and it would also rule out any problem with the existing HG633 model.

As stated in a previous message, it briefly hit 37.3 Mbps when connected via a cable, but that quickly reduced to 18.7 Mbps and settled around the usual 19-22 Mbps area.

Thanks again.

Dave

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

Yes please, it can't do any harm and it would also rule out any problem with the existing HG633 model.

As stated in a previous message, it briefly hit 37.3 Mbps when connected via a cable, but that quickly reduced to 18.7 Mbps and settled around the usual 19-22 Mbps area.

Thanks again.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave

router has been odered for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

That's great.

Thank you Karl.

Dave

Highlighted

No Problem 🙂

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@OCE_Karl 

Hi Karl,

The new Router is due to arrive sometime between 11:40 and 12:40 today.

I'll connect it up and leave it running for a couple of days to allow it to settle in.

I will report back Friday, hopefully it will cure the problem of the Internet 'drop-out' and possibly the slow speeds as well.

Thanks once again.

Dave

Highlighted

Hi Dave.

I'll keep my fingers crossed 🙂

Thanks

Karl

Working From Home Tips

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I'm back again, this time using the new Router, the D-Link DSL3782..

Unfortunately, it's not had any effect whatsoever, the Service Centre page reports the Internet connection is still dropping, the speed at the exchange is reporting as 39 mb and the speed test I did a few minutes ago at 09:30 is -

10 ms Ping, 19.4 Mbps download, 7.4 Mbps upload.

That's in line with readings taken when the Huawei HG633 was connected.

I have noticed however, that the response on my laptop has decreased since using the D-Link Router.

I'm not sure if this is due to interference from other networks nearby, I'm not that technically minded to fiddle about with the settings.

The system used to be much more stable and had quicker response times when I was on Fast Broadband, I wish they had never switched me to 'Faster Fibre', it's anything but that and there seems no end in sight to getting it fixed.

Do you want me to return the D-Link Router to you, if so, how? There were no details of this included when it arrived.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to proceed further?, or better still, any chance of being switched back to Fast Broadband, as with 'Faster Fibre' a misnomer if ever there was one, is fast making me lose the will to live. 

Regards.

Dave

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Dave,

Don't know if this might help ...

TT switched me from ADSL to fibre recently (their decision, not mine), and I immediately had dropout problems with the new service. When it was running it was so slow and intermittent as to be unusable. TT called out Openreach again and they changed my master socket from the slightly older type (which has one telephone socket outlet requiring a microfilter to plug my router in to), to the very latest type which has two separate outlets - telephone and data - so no external microfilter required (the router plugs straight into the data outlet). The engineer said that sometimes they have had reliability problems with running fibre to the older master sockets. It sounded a bit far fetched, but since they swapped it for a new type master socket, everything now works fine, consistent broadband speeds of around 24Mbps down and 9Mbps up, and low latency (16ms). Suits me fine. Worth a try perhaps?

Regards,

Geoff_B

Highlighted
Team Player
Btw, I also have a HG633 router and it works fine.
Geoff
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

@Geoff_B 

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the suggestion, the master socket has already been upgraded on my second OpenReach visit, first time they only corrected 'a fault' on the circuit outside.

Having read on a thread elsewhere on the forum about possible problems and faults with the HG633, I was hoping things would improve with the D-Link Router.

At one brief moment when connected via an Ethernet cable and using the HG633 Router, download tests twice hit 37.3 Mbps, it soon went back down to around the 19 Mbps to 22 Mbps, that's why I hoped it was the Router at fault.

I just need to wait now for the next possible solution to be suggested by TalkTalk.

Regards.

Dave