Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Telegraph pole block replacement

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Team Player

I am starting a new thread, as the previous one appears to have run dry, but the problem is the same.  For almost 2 years, I have been suffering with very frequent broadband outages, particularly when it rains.  Due to these outages (which are themselves very annoying), my broadband speed automatically drops over time to well below the committed minimum from TalkTalk.  Numerous OpenReach engineers have been to my home, checked my equipment (confirmed as fine), and diagnosed the fault to be in the block on top of the telegraph pole outside my house - it is very old, cracked, letting rain in, and hence causing the outages.  They say they have raised paperwork to get the block replaced, and I have chased OpenReach directly, but nothing has happened.  TalkTalk is my ISP, and it is TalkTalk's responsibility to get OpenReach to do the work that is needed in order to supply me with the service that I require and have been paying for (but not receiving).

Please could you do something about this quickly and tell me what is going on - it's been way too long without any positive action.

Steve

P.S.  I have all the historical evidence to back this up if needed.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi sudall,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've passed this over to our Network Team now and have asked if they can check this with BTOR. I'll post back here as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Many thanks, Michelle. I look forward to hearing from you soon.  What would be most helpful is some kind of ticket number and estimated date for completion by BTOR so that we can track it and make sure it's not allowed to drift.

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

No problem, as soon as I hear back I'll post back straightaway.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

Our Network Team have looked into this and advised that we don't have visibility of this work. They have advised that if Openreach are doing their own work in the area (updating the pole), this isn't something that we can contact them to find out about.

They advised that if the connection is still unstable then we can re-raise this as a fault back to Openreach. As the line tests are currently clear then they said it would need to be raised as an appointed visit and the engineers can check if this is related to work required at the pole or if this is a separate issue. They said the engineer should then be able to link this to the work needed (if it is related) so we can refer/check for updates.

Would you like us to arrange an engineer visit for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly - much appreciated.

You have uncovered the crux of this problem.  Most of the time, the line is absolutely fine, so if you do a test, it will look fine.  But as soon as it rains, the line drops, so unless you happen to be testing when it rains, you won't see a problem.  It is this instability that has been going on for almost 2 years, and TalkTalk should be putting pressure on OpenReach to fix it (as they are your service provider, and impacting your ability to deliver a service to me).  We don't need yet another OpenReach engineer to come to my house, check that my equipment is fine, notice that the block on the telegraph pole is old, diagnose the problem, and say that they will raise the required paperwork - that has been done a number of times before, but with no action.  We need someone to force OpenReach to do what they have said they would do on numerous occasions, which is to fix the problem.  I have tried to contact them directly, but they have said that they will only listen to my ISP, so I need you to insist that the block is replaced as soon as possible.

Note that the issue is not related to any work that OpenReach is doing / has done in the area - quite the opposite - it's because of work they haven't done.  All the other blocks on the road have been replaced with nice new shiny (waterproof) ones - but not mine (and this has been noted by OpenReach engineers as well).

What do I need to do to get you to get OpenReach to do their job?

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

Sorry for the delay. When the line test is clear then the only option we have is to arrange an appointed visit to the property. If you would like to go ahead with this then we can add notes onto the fault ticket to advise about the pole and what has been advised previously. Would you like us to go ahead and arrange this visit and we'll confirm some details with you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

If that's how it has to be, and waste everyone's time, then that's how it has to be.  But when the engineer comes and discovers what all the other engineers have (that my house is fine and the problem lies with the block on the pole), and says the same thing that the other engineers have (that they will raise the necessary paperwork), what then?  I am back in the same position of no-one actually doing anything and no-one able to track what's (not) going on, because we don't have a ticket number.  How can you (as it's your responsibility) move this forwards after the engineer's visit?

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, I accept the engineer charges, and I don't mind morning or afternoon, any day.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

I've booked the engineer for July 21 2020, AM (08:00-13:00), please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you, Chris - I will do.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

At last - an OpenReach engineer who listened to the problem and acted on it immediately.  He agreed that the problem was not inside the house, so there and then replaced the cable from the pole to the house and the connection on top of the pole (couldn't replace the whole block, but my connection should now be waterproof).  He also said he couldn't understand why that wasn't done by the previous engineers.  Anyway - he's clearly done all he can at the moment (and the block replacement is on the cards for some time in the future), so we will now have to wait and see what happens when it rains ... here's hoping it's properly fixed.

Highlighted

Hi sudall, thanks for the update 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Well, it's now been four weeks since the cable was replaced, and we have had plenty of rain recently as a good test.  I am very happy to say that there have been absolutely no problems during the intervening period, so I think we can consider this to be resolved 🙂

Thank you for your help in getting this sorted.

Highlighted

Hi sudall,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks