cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

What happened to my renewal and upgrade to faster fibre??

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Team Player

Renewed my contract and upgraded online a few days ago from fibre band (38mb) to faster fibre band (68mb). Was given an order number, and status saying my upgrade would go live on 24th.  That was yesterday.  Checked my online account, and there is now no mention of my new service, my contract has just carried on at a higher price for a much reduced service, as my broadband speeds have been around 15 - 20 mb for most of yesterday.  Could someone been good enough to tell me what is going on please, this is really bad service.

lily jamil
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @mrs-lj are things still the same this morning?

have you tried a 30 minute reboot. Switch off the router, wait 30 minutes then restart?

your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Team Player

Hello yes, nothing has changed, still getting a ridiculously low speed instead of having an upgrade.  My contract has now also ended so I'm paying a higher price for a lower service.  

lily jamil
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff
Highlighted
Team Player

Did the 30 minute reboot a couple of times now.  The fastest speeds I am getting are between 46 and 50mb.  Nowhere near the 67mb promised. Can someone help?

lily jamil
Highlighted
Sightseer

Following this thread because I have the exact same issue.

I too renewed from 37 mb/s to the faster 67 mb/s which should have activated on 24th August.

I contacted Live Chat this morning and spoke to a very rude adviser who called me a liar and told me I didn't understand the package I'd signed up for... If I was at all confused it would be TalkTalk's fault for having one 67 mb/s package with three names!

The rude adviser told me to turn my router off for 30 minutes and tried to get me to agree to paying for an engineer if that didn't work! Absolute cheek of it! I can't disconnect until this evening so I'll switch off for the night and see what speed I get tomorrow.

Highlighted
Philosopher

The package speeds are pretty meaningless, it just a generic average devised by the ASA for advertising.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) sets rules about how companies advertise broadband speeds. They must show the average speed that at least 50% of their customers receive at the network’s busiest time (8-10pm).

You need to compare what you are receiving with the guaranteed minimum speed in your contract which would have been advised to you when you selected the package.

Read the code of practice here.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c...

Martin
Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

My speed improved a bit after turning off for 30 mins, but its stayed the same since.

I don't want to risk a phone call from someone rude, or I will be emailing the CEO of Talk Talk.  I am currently getting a fibre speed 47 - 50mb, way off the 67mb promised.  Its only been 4 days, but if things don't improve in the next few days, I will be complaining much higher.

lily jamil
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @mrs-lj ,

When you say "the 67mb promised", was this a speed that was specifically quoted to you as a minimum guaranteed speed for your line when you signed up for the contract.

The maximum speed you can achieve is totally dependent on the length and quality of your phone line. A customer on a good quality short line could achieve 80Mb, but there will be many other customers who will only ever be able to get speeds in the 50's or 60's due to having a longer phone line. TalkTalk would have quoted a minimum guaranteed speed to you when you were discussing the contract.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I speak only for myself of course but the adviser who processed my renewal said I would "get 67 mb/s" and at no point advised of estimated or guaranteed lowest speed - fortunately I already knew what these speeds should be. Someone who knows less about such things would not know to prompt an adviser to confirm estimated/minimum speeds, nor should they have to. It should be clear on the website for all to see.

I've seen a lot of responses to a lot of issues posted in this forum that seem to automatically presume the correct information was given by TalkTalk advisers at the time a contract was agreed. This just isn't happening for everyone, clearly.

Highlighted
Philosopher

If you go to the SERVICE CENTRE your estimated speed range and minimum are shown on the Speed to your Router box and the Find Out More link therein.

Start your journey via the SERVICE STATUS link at the top of this page.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

@slowjoe, I think you are right: the customer shouldn't be having to prompt the advisor to tell them the expected speed.

This probably requires better training. However, as @martswain advised in post 7, you can't just go by what's posted on the website "for all to see ". What is advertised is an average calculation for the product. The advice that is required for the specific customer is unique to the line in question and it is that level of information that appears to be being overlooked in some cases.

Gliwmaeden2
Highlighted
Team Player

As you very well know, Talktalk do not quote "specifically" to individuals.   They are telling everybody in their ads and contract that you will get 67mb.  Seeing as They claimed I would get 39mb, and I did, i had no reason to disbelieve them this time.  Also, I live over the road from the Openreach box which houses my cable.

lily jamil
Highlighted
Team Player

I don't wish to be rude, but I didn't come on here because I have nothing better to do.  I was hoping a TalkTalk advisor would see my post and actually take steps to help.  Unfortunately, so far I have had a lot of people giving me their opinions.   If there is a Talk talk advisor who can help me get the 67mb I was told I was upgraded to, great. If not, I'll just email the CEO.  Oh and the Service Centre is estimating my speeds up to 80mb!

lily jamil
Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Arne 

Sorry tried to reply to your private message, but  a red pop up said I couldn't send any more today.  I've only sent one!  This method of communication is sooooo frustrating.

UPDATED

Your Line Speed

Est. speed: 74 Mb - 80 Mb
Measured speed today: 52 Mb

I have copied and pasted the information on my line from the Service Centre, above.

lily jamil
Highlighted

Thanks 

When you use your landline is there any noise or interference heard on the line? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

No, no probs with landline, just fibre speed.  Only getting 44mb today.

lily jamil
Highlighted
Wise Owl

Hi mrs-lj

I appreciate your frustration but you need to be aware of a few things.

- The multiple post thing is important not only because it becomes difficult to follow the problem but because of the way the forum prioritises posts. It's best to stick to one post and not keep bumping it because if you do you get bumped down the queue.

- This is a Community forum and whilst the OCE give excellent technical advice and can refer issues up the line if necessary the community, particularly the Community Stars, can give excellent advice based on experience.

- If you went live on the 24th then your connection is still being tweaked by the Openreach DLM system which is nothing to do with TalkTalk. Switching the router off for 30 mins resets the session and can sometimes help with speed but don't keep doing it because the OR DLM might see this as errors and start throttling your speed. It's best to let it settle for at least 14 days to see where you end up.

- You should have received an email that tells you the minimum guaranteed speed. I believe the 67 mb is the average user speed between 8.00 p.m. and 10.00 p.m. as others have said. Like all ISPs (pretty much other than Virgin) TT base your estimated and guaranteed speeds on info that OR reach provide because they can't gauge the qualtiy of the copper cable from the cabinet to your home, that's why they give an estimated & minimum guaranteed speed. OR also state a hand back value for speed which is more or less the same as the minimum guaranteed speed.

- Are the speed tests your sync speed or throughput speeds as these are quite different things. If your sync speed is high but your throughput speed low then it might indicate an issue with the internal wiring.

- At 44 mb you are in the boost range but please bear in mind the DLM thing.

- If you know how check your sync speed on the router and also the interleaf depth. If you don't know how to do that perhaps an OCE can help provide the info.

- The fact that you have a cabinet outside your home doesn't necessarily mean that you are connected to that cabinet. I have one about 20 m up the road from me but because of the way the infrastructure was implemented I'm connected to one about 500 m away.

- 2/3rds of the UK workforce are still working from home so there is huge pressure on the FTTC system which at peak times effects speed. 

If I were you I'd give it another 7-10 days to see where the speed settles and avoid switching the router off through that period.

Hope this helps.

Fritz

Highlighted

Hi @mrs-lj can you continue to monitor the speed issue FritzCT makes a very valid point regarding DLM and the way it works. 

@FritzCT  thanks for your input on this issue 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

I have been patient, and not bothered anyone on here for the last week, as I was advised by FritzCT (above).  However, things have not improved for me, and I am getting random speeds between 24 and 42mbps.  If I could get a steady 39mbps on fibre, why can't I get more on the faster fibre I am paying extrafor?   I renewed, and supposedly upgraded on 24th August.  Could someone sort this out please?

lily jamil