would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

X box One wired connection keeps breaking

15 REPLIES 15
Storma82
Popular Poster

Hi

My X-box One wired connection doesn't seem to be stable following the arrival of my latest (there have been a few) router.  It's a Sagemcom Router, the one with a single light at the front and 5 ports at the back.  Since receiving the router, I started using wi-fi, but that skips every now and again and I'd rather use wired, if possible.  I tried reducing the firewall settings, but this had no effect. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much 

Divsec
Community Star

Hi storma welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. Please check your community profile and add your landline phone number if necessary it is used to identify your account.

Have you tried rebooting your new router?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Storma82
Popular Poster

Hi Divsec

Thanks very much for replying.

Yes, I have rebooted a couple of times, but to no avail.  I also get problems with Netflix on my wireless connection.  Connection losses only last a couple of minutes, but they are very frustrating and completely ruin online gaming.

Community Team

Hi Storma82,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok/connection looks stable. Just to confirm, how often is the connection dropping when you connect wired?

Thanks

Storma82
Popular Poster

About every 5-10 minutes when it's going for it but sometimes not at all, it's frequent when it's frequent if you know what I mean.

Community Team

Hi Storma82

Would it be possible to make a note of the date and time when the connection drops? (when connected wired) 

We can then check the connection stats again to see if we can see any re connections around this time.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Storma82
Popular Poster

Sorry for the delay, just wanted to give it a good test plus I was having trouble logging in. I found that yesterday between 6 and 7 PM that the connection kept getting lost whilst I was gaming. This kept freezing the game and it took some time to re-establish connections each time. Sometimes these type of things happen everyday, other times it can be fine for a few days then the problems start all over again frequently.

Community Team

Hi Storma82,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test which is still clear and the connection also looks stable. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with?

Thanks

Storma82
Popular Poster

We previously had a Huawei HG633 (and another small router before that), and most recently a D-Link DSL-3782 and all of these routers worked much better for the xbox wired connection (not so much for a wireless connection). However the router we currently have (Sagemcom) is awful for a wired xbox connection and only slightly better for a wired xbox connection. The strange thing is though that this router works better for most other devices within our home on a wireless connection.We have a PC with a wired connection which is also slow. It seems that this current router is great for having a lot of devices connected wirelessly (better than previous routers) but it can't seem to handle the speed of live games and an xbox whereas the other routers could for the majority of the time.

Community Team

Hi

Can you try separating the wifi channels and see if the connection is more stable on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channel.

Thanks

Karl. 

Storma82
Popular Poster

I'm on a wired connection so this wouldn't apply?

Storma82
Popular Poster

The point of me raising this issue is that I keep getting disconnected from my wired connection. I don't want to connect wirelessly, as wireless connections are not as good as wired connections for gaming.  No matter which wireless connection I try to use, I get constant glitching which invalidates the whole point of gaming.  Therefore, I choose to play with a wired connection.  However, since receiving the new router, the wired connection has been beyond a joke.  I get disconnected frequently and this was never an issue before the new router arrived.  As things stand, I'm one short click away from using another provider, as we are not currently in contract.  This is causing me far too much grief.  Please let me know if you are unable to help, and I will seek an alternative contract...or help...if you can?!?! Thank you.

Storma82
Popular Poster

If anyone else has any advice please let me know as I have apparently just paid another £36 for a service that doesn't allow me to play my xbox properly and I've not been offered any solutions that have worked so far...more help from an OCE would also be appreciated even if it's advice telling me to use another provider, at least I'd know where I stood and would attempt to get a refund. Thanks. Could it be that the ports of the router are faulty since it is the wired connection that is the main problem? Or Something else? Since I now may have at least another month with TalkTalk I would really like to get this resolved.

Storma82
Popular Poster

I'm on a wired connection so this wouldn't apply?

The point of me raising this issue is that I keep getting disconnected from my wired connection. I don't want to connect wirelessly, as wireless connections are not as good as wired connections for gaming.  No matter which wireless connection I try to use, I get constant glitching which invalidates the whole point of gaming.  Therefore, I choose to play with a wired connection.  However, since receiving the new router, the wired connection has been beyond a joke.  I get disconnected frequently and this was never an issue before the new router arrived.  As things stand, I'm one short click away from using another provider, as we are not currently in contract.  This is causing me far too much grief.  Please let me know if you are unable to help, and I will seek an alternative contract...or help...if you can?!?! Thank you.

Storma82
Popular Poster

If anyone else has any advice please let me know as I have apparently just paid another £36 for a service that doesn't allow me to play my xbox properly and I've not been offered any solutions that have worked so far...more help from an OCE would also be appreciated even if it's advice telling me to use another provider, at least I'd know where I stood and would attempt to get a refund. Thanks. Could it be that the ports of the router are faulty since it is the wired connection that is the main problem? Or Something else? Since I now may have at least another month with TalkTalk I would really like to get this resolved.

Community Team

Hi Storma82,

Could I just confirm, is the wired PC also dropping connection? The connection still looks stable and I can't see any re-connections on the line. Are you using powerline adapters?

Thanks